Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by George K)
    Was going to join. Then I saw the books you read, and decided I wouldn't fit in. :laugh:
    I suppose theres a bit of a difference between Terry Pratchett and the books you read.

*retreats*
    You could nominate a Pratchett book for the upcoming reading. :fyi: I've been meaning to see what his books were like for some time now, so I'd be interested.

For those unaware, there's already a poll up, so go and vote.

ReputationRep:
    Not long now until we get reading September's winners (whatever they may be) :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Sherlock Holmes is currently leading in the September polls
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'm reviving this thread. Has anyone read Snuff, yet? Planning on getting it. But I have a long list of books and am struggling to decide which I wanna read first.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope this does get running again. There was lots of interest before...

ReputationRep:
    I love reading, i own over 30 books, read them all and in the middle of reading the twilight saga <3

EDIT: Just joined

ReputationRep:
    Come alive thread, a book club sounds awesome and I want in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Hobbit)
    I'm still here! I don't know where the others went

I don't think I'll have enough time. :sad: I might, though... :flute:

ReputationRep:
    If I remember correctly, we should still be reading Wuthering Heights and a Study in Scarlet...

EDIT: Unless we want to start again (again) with something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsb123)
    If I remember correctly, we should still be reading Wuthering Heights and a Study in Scarlet...
    I read both and I remember commenting a few times on the relevant thread but then it sort of fizzled out and there wasn't another poll.

ReputationRep:

I'd love it to run again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obsidian)
    I'd love it to run again
    Well, all that would have to be done (those are usually famous last words...) is a new thread created for nominations, and then one for discussion. Nomination was fine, it was just discussion that never really happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obsidian)
    I'd love it to run again
    (Original post by Little Hobbit)
    Hello!
    Sorry about this - dreadfully, dreadfully sorry! I started sixth form and went away from TSR for a bit, and also changed my username (I was BookWormS?) for privacy reasons. I've been much more active recently and I'm willing to try to kick-start this.

I think the Book Club has some sort of curse on it though - twice we voted with lots of interest but never really got round to discussion, then the leader changed - and we voted but we never really got round to discussion, then I became the leader- and we never really got round to discussion!

I'd really like to make a better go off it this time as I'm feeling very guilty. I do promise to try my best, but if I end of being awful again, or collapsing under Jan stress, then I'll be sure to pass over leadership to someone else so you can keep going

Does that sound okay?

I think, to be perfectly honest, that we should talk about those two - because we never seemed to actually discuss the books we were reading.

The relevant threads are here for Wuthering Heights and here for Study in Scarlet. I'll post in the WH thread asap, but I'm afraid to say I haven't read Study - I read Hound of the Baskervilles instead because of the coming series of Sherlock!

Then maybe in a couple of days, if no discussion gets going, we can start upon something else? What do you think? Should I get a poll up today?

ReputationRep:
    Well, all that would have to be done (those are usually famous last words...) is a new thread created for nominations, and then one for discussion. Nomination was fine, it was just discussion that never really happened.
    Precisely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalliope)
    Should I get a poll up today?
    I suppose we could think about something for a January book club. Perhaps just one book this time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalliope)
    Hello!
    Sorry about this - dreadfully, dreadfully sorry! I started sixth form and went away from TSR for a bit, and also changed my username (I was BookWormS?) for privacy reasons. I've been much more active recently and I'm willing to try to kick-start this.

I think the Book Club has some sort of curse on it though - twice we voted with lots of interest but never really got round to discussion, then the leader changed - and we voted but we never really got round to discussion, then I became the leader- and we never really got round to discussion!

I'd really like to make a better go off it this time as I'm feeling very guilty. I do promise to try my best, but if I end of being awful again, or collapsing under Jan stress, then I'll be sure to pass over leadership to someone else so you can keep going

Does that sound okay?

I think, to be perfectly honest, that we should talk about those two - because we never seemed to actually discuss the books we were reading.

The relevant threads are here for Wuthering Heights and here for Study in Scarlet. I'll post in the WH thread asap, but I'm afraid to say I haven't read Study - I read Hound of the Baskervilles instead because of the coming series of Sherlock!

Then maybe in a couple of days, if no discussion gets going, we can start upon something else? What do you think? Should I get a poll up today?
    That is absolutely fine by me Welcome back - I did wonder if you had changed your username but I didn't want to ask

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to join in, but i'd prefer not to read books that are on or have been on the national curriculum syllabus i.e. 1984, The Handmaid's Tale, Catcher in the Rye, The Colour Purple, Dracula & so on. Not because these aren't great books and should be read, but because I feel that people may end up regurgitating what they've been taught, which makes the experience a lot less organic and explorative.

My suggestions:
    Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood
    Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Both have been lying dormant on my shelf.

Edit - just realised that original post was last December. I'd still like to join in though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecokid)
    I'd like to join in, but i'd prefer not to read books that are on or have been on the national curriculum syllabus i.e. 1984, The Handmaid's Tale, Catcher in the Rye, The Colour Purple, Dracula &amp; so on. Not because these aren't great books and should be read, but because I feel that people may end up regurgitating what they've been taught, which makes the experience a lot less organic and explorative.

My suggestions:
    Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood
    Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Both have been lying dormant on my shelf.

Edit - just realised that original post was last December. I'd still like to join in though.
    I've been wanting to read Love in the Time of Cholera for ages :moon:

Right, make your nominations here

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.