Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you judge people based on their taste in music? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    Haha nothing I guess if it's what you like, was just messing around really, I used to listen to it when I was younger but moved onto other things

Are Weezer considered pop punk? I still listen to Blue Album ALL the time.
    Weezer are actually considered "geek rock"...Yes, they were actually given their own genre because Rivers wears thick rimmed glasses :p:

(Original post by Drunk Punx)
    It has the audacity to use the word "punk" in it's definition; it's basically a watered down version of something that was in no way watered down. A lot of pop-punk bands actually have no idea about the punk scene at all, which pisses me off; they see it mainly as a fashion thing... *cringes*
    As I said, they have no idea.

That, and I think the music's really ****. But that's just my opinion :ahee:

Edit: For example, there is no way (IMHO) there can be a transition from something like Disorder or Chaos UK to blink-182 or Green Day, and somehow they are both called "punk". It's madness
    If it was called something else then I'd have no complaint (aside from my disdain for the music).
    I never understood why it was called pop-punk either, I don't really know that much about punk but I always though of it as grittier and more raw whereas pop-punk was always pretty clean (if you understand WTH I'm rambling on about!)
    I suppose lately people have started calling PP bands emo instead now, so maybe you won't have to put up with the injustice for much longer?
    Of course I'll have to put up with all the negative ideology that comes with emo being attached to some of my favourite bands :emo:

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but thinking that when people say they 'love indie' that they're pretentious ****s in cardigans. However I have friends who like 'indie' so I'll let them off

ReputationRep:
    I was brought up in the death camp of tolerance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    Firstly, Opeth are one of my favourite bands and Mahler is one of my favourite composers

But - pretty much most forms of symphonic music relies heavily on dynamics... Opeth are unique within metal for the extent of their dynamic and textural range but Mahler wasn't in the romantic realm.

Yeah, I know Dream Theater and Symphony X. I even like a lot of Dream Theater but I am under no illusion that they produce deep music. Just because they have a lot of fast lines, metric modulation and non-standard structure - I don't think they compare to Opeth even for example. I mean, dream theater do some clever metric stuff sometimes and feature a lot of virtuostic passages but basically, they are harmonically and texturally very simple - they have fairly standard chord progressions with a lot of fast passage work on top.

Don't get me wrong, Opeth, Dream Theater they are great but they don't match the level of complexity and consideration of Mahler in any sense. They have different attributes but I think comparing directly is like comparing a go kart to an F1 car.
    Yeah, I agree with you in that Mahler's music is epically more complex than pretty much anything else... scoring such complex music for a thousand people over a duration of 1.5 hours is a fairly impressive achievement, and I'll willingly admit that even Mikael Akerfeldt probably couldn't pull it off :P

But at the same time, Opeth and Dream Theater etc. are harmonically and texturally sophisticated. I mean, you say you like DT, but you still seem to label them with the clichéd stereotype that they just show off- which, if you listen to the full scope of their work, is simply not true. They also use plenty of nice unorthodox, original chord sequences and time signatures - much like Mahler (that's not to say that their music bears the same level of ingenuity...), which alone differentiates them from standard chart music a lot more than they're differentiated from Mahler. Chart music is intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus 99% of the time, and is almost always in 4-4. Musically, therefore, this is far inferior to the likes of Opeth and Dream Theater who craft varied, dynamically complex 20-minute epics, with plenty of emotion (at least for me anyway). The scope of the music from this respect is therefore far closer to Mahler.

Also, thematically, something like Opeth is far, far closer to Mahler than it is to chart music - both have themes which are heavily linked to death and despair; and the same is also often true of Dream Theater. Conversely, most chart music revolves around superficial crap, with standard songs being annoyingly catchy, unrealistically happy tunes with irrelevant lyrics; and the most depressing music being a 3-chord acoustic song about unrequited 'love'. *cough*Jamesblunt*cough*. Although Mahler also deals with this, he does it in a sophisticated, philosophical way. Also, Opeth is closer to Mahler in that it actually deals with relevant material (i.e., death and depression); and takes a much more philosophical view on such matters than any chart music would ever be able to.

But yes, I agree that the complexity and scope of 1000 people performing simultaneously is far greater than what can possibly be achieved with a 5-piece band, even when combined with a backing orchestra. Heh.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the usual 'Opeth are unique within metal' crap.

Hah. I mean, I love some of their albums but jeeeeez.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the music they listen to so much as how they interpret it, and even how they let it affect them. Someone who only listens to bands nobody else has heard of appear to me like they're trying too hard to be cool and alternative. I like people who listen to a mix of stuff, and me and a few of my friends argue about the whole heavy metal debate and make fun of each others music taste but that's just cos they're my friends. Not a fan of metal music, but I'm not going to hate someone just cos they listen to it. Whether they have the same tastes as me or different tastes, as long as they're passionate about music it usually ends up turning into a pretty good discussion, but I hope I don't really judge them based on their music taste. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Not unless they listen to uprising.

ReputationRep:
    I won't seriously judge them, but I find I don't tend to get on with people who listen to stuff like Brokencyde and Jeffree Star.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sicarius1992)
    I beg to differ. I've found some of the nicest people I've ever met through the rock society at my university.
    Well, I suppose in real life, they're not so bad, but online is where people's true colours can come out, and so it's a whole different ball game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    I won't seriously judge them, but I find I don't tend to get on with people who listen to stuff like Brokencyde and Jeffree Star.
    I sometimes listen to a couple of Brokencyde songs just for the lolz. Their music is so bad that's it's kinda funny :lol:. I don't like Jeffree Star's music at all though, but his makeup is pretty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    Not at all, I listen mostly to rock/grunge/metal and various subgenres of dance/electronic music but it would be nice if said people scratched under the surface and looked for stuff a little less commercial.
    I don't like the idea of people scratching under the surface, somehow. Perhaps...gently rubbing would prove more pleasurable?

ReputationRep:
    If you think rock fans are obnoxious, then I sincerely hope you never happen across the people in black metal who consider themselves "kvlt", or the thrashers who populate the Metal-Archive forums.
    It's usually a hilarious clash between the two with many a ban on both sides :teehee:
    Really? Links or it didn't happen!

No, seriously - I've never seen that, although I have seen the trve black metallers and the thrashers on the wild, on their own.

ReputationRep:

What...is... that... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    When talking to new people, I tend to instantly like someone if they have similar music tastes as me solely because there's
    a lot to talk about. Having said that, I don't dislike people for listening to "chart music" or w/e; whatever floats your boat

ReputationRep:
    The person who said it's as invalid as judging someone on what colour shirt they wear probably has a lame music taste, jus' saying. I wouldn't dislike someone if I think they have a terrible taste i music, but it definitely says something about a person.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't judge someone if they liked Justin Bieber or Cheryl Cole because they like the music, but if they try and tell me they are amazing or talented I would doubt their mental capacity. I listen to pretty much everything from sugary J-Pop to heavy metal so I'm not very judgemental when it comes to music tastes. I hate people who are elitist with the music they listen to.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot actually - with a few people, it's based on truth. In the HMV Metal section, it's always some dodgy looking emos...Then it's annoying naive girly girls who listen to Taylor Swift etc.
    However, I really shouldn't judge, as I listen to dance/house/club, but am definitely not a chav or any of the stereotypes that go with that music.

ReputationRep:
    Not usually no, but if i find out a seemingly normal person listens to hardcore MCing or suicidal music, id find it a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to believe that anyone could listen to five minutes of classical music, five minutes of metal and five minutes of an x-factor style pop song (choosing good representative examples of each), and attempt to tell me with a straight face that the musical complexity on display from the metal example was more similar to the pop music than to the classical sample.

In 5 minutes of a decent metal album you might hear 10 different motifs, several counterpoints, 3 key changes, some asynchrony, some chromatic inteludes, unusual time signatures, the lot; all fulfilling a specific dramatic purpose. Even Wagner would struggle to cover all that in 5 minutes.

On the latest x-factor single, by contrast, you will hear about 4 chords, a drum machine playing a 4 by 4 beat, and a bit of whiny vocals singing the same repetitive melody within a single octave range.

ReputationRep:
    I rather look at their character than judge them superficially like a shallow **** which clearly the majority of you are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.