Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Andy Grey says that Messi couldn't cope in the EPL Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    Probably that La Liga isn't some sort of joke/soft league that the EPL followers think.

The Balon D'Or bit is probably to show that La Liga has always possessed the better players, ever since it's inception, same goes for WPOTY.
    I replied mainly because his points were an exact replica of Guillem Balague's points, which I was linked to earlier in the thread and countered: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1497376&page=5

I agree the standout players of the world have tended to be concentrated in La Liga, either Barcelona or Real Madrid over the years, but this year has a brazen bias towards the World Cup. In previous years, the nominees have been a lot more even (2009: 13 LL v 11 EPL , 2008: 11 LL v 11 EPL , 2007: 15 LL v 15 EPL). I don't think the Ballon D'or is a valid gauge of the calibre of players and even then it's been quite even in the past few years at least.

ReputationRep:
    I take back the government funded part from Barca, but not from Real Madrid. It's quite clear that their spending power is made easier by ease of loans, Real Madrid are a profitable football club so it would make perfect sense to fund them. Their normal profits are not sufficient to fund 300M Euro spending from just one transfer window and still remain financially stable. The banking system helps them hugely.

The Champions have been the same in the EPL but there are many genuine title contenders every season after those two, Arsenal and Liverpool have come close to breaking that from 2007-2009 and now we have Man City and Spurs also being very strong. How can our 4th place side play so well against the European Champions two games in a row?

Agbonlahor and Carew have been quality forwards for the past few years in Villa's upsurge before their recent collapse. Young is good going forward too and Everton have beaten the top four teams every season too. Sure they've declined this season, but these two teams were challenging for the top four and beating the top four teams fairly often over the last few years, whilst Arsenal and Liverpool have come close to (and Liverpool achieving this) making the top two. In La Liga you used to see Atletico, Sevilla and Valencia being a real threat to the top two but now the dominance of the top two has soared. When their main challengers can't compete anymore, that to me lessens the overall competitiveness of that league.

What team is going to displace Spain's top two anytime soon? I'm not saying the La Liga teams are poor at all, I'm just saying their league is not as competitive as ours from top to bottom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Okay. I'll presume you came up with these specific observations yourself.

What are you trying to show via these facts?

What statistics did you do? Are you sure they're valid?

Can you elaborate on the Ballon D'or bit I don't get it?
    No, I just took them from a blog. You know I did so I am not sure why you are asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    No, I just took them from a blog. You know I did so I am not sure why you are asking.
    Mainly for discussion; whether the methods are valid, whether the Ballon D'or representation implies the gulf in the league, whether the conclusions are sound etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Mainly for discussion; whether the methods are valid, whether the Ballon D'or representation implies the gulf in the league, whether the conclusions are sound etc.
    Oh..I actually agree with what you wrote. It isn't accurate to use the Ballon D'Or.

To be honest, I would retract what I said and say there really isn't a vast gulf between the two leagues. I just took umbrage to the notion that the EPL is significantly more competitive than La Liga. I don't really see that.

However, I would say that La Liga does produce better footballers in general whereas the EPL tends to import them in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hass147)
    I take back the government funded part from Barca, but not from Real Madrid. It's quite clear that their spending power is made easier by ease of loans, Real Madrid are a profitable football club so it would make perfect sense to fund them. Their normal profits are not sufficient to fund 300M Euro spending from just one transfer window and still remain financially stable. The banking system helps them hugely.

The Champions have been the same in the EPL but there are many genuine title contenders every season after those two, Arsenal and Liverpool have come close to breaking that from 2007-2009 and now we have Man City and Spurs also being very strong. How can our 4th place side play so well against the European Champions two games in a row?

Agbonlahor and Carew have been quality forwards for the past few years in Villa's upsurge before their recent collapse. Young is good going forward too and Everton have beaten the top four teams every season too. Sure they've declined this season, but these two teams were challenging for the top four and beating the top four teams fairly often over the last few years, whilst Arsenal and Liverpool have come close to (and Liverpool achieving this) making the top two. In La Liga you used to see Atletico, Sevilla and Valencia being a real threat to the top two but now the dominance of the top two has soared. When their main challengers can't compete anymore, that to me lessens the overall competitiveness of that league.

What team is going to displace Spain's top two anytime soon? I'm not saying the La Liga teams are poor at all, I'm just saying their league is not as competitive as ours from top to bottom.
    You quote Agbonlahor, Carew and Young, but Spanish football has Aguero, Nilmar, Soldado and Forlan outside of the top two sides, players that are far better than Agbonlahor and Carew.

Anyway, people use Barcelona's 8-0 win over Almeria/5-0 win over Espanyol to suggest that the league is uncompetitive, but last year we had:

Chelsea 8 Wigan 0
    Chelsea 7 Stoke 0
    Chelsea 7 Aston Villa 0 (supposedly one of last season's top four contenders)
    Arsenal 0 Chelsea 3
    Chelsea 5 Blackburn 0
    And Chelsea beat Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal both times, conceding only one goal, not to mention the fact that they scored more goals than Barcelona or Madrid.

Barcelona did get 98 points last season, but Chelsea got 95 in 2004/2005...you cannot say that players such as Messi and Ronaldo only succeed because of poor defences, and you cannot say Madrid and Barcelona are dominating a league full of poor players and poor teams.

ReputationRep:
    Rafael Van der Vaart was never this prolific in the much-easier-to-score-in Spanish league

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    Rafael Van der Vaart was never this prolific in the much-easier-to-score-in Spanish league
    Who said it's much easier to score in? Plus you could say the same for Sneijder and Robben, yet they're world class players. Real Madrid don't use these players properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hass147)
    Who said it's much easier to score in? Plus you could say the same for Sneijder and Robben, yet they're world class players. Real Madrid don't use these players properly.
    Come off it! Snejider was hailed as the second coming during his first season at Madrid and was played in his best position. He had a poor second season and became out of favour. Van der Vaart got more of a chance than other players and was also played in his best position, with his performances Real should have let him go after the first season but they kept him and there was no real improvement. Robben not being used properly takes the cake, how about his stunning performances two seasons ago? Marca and AS were lauding him as the best in the world, obviously exaggerated but he did geniuenly play like a Balon D'Or competitor.

ReputationRep:
    Andy Grey is a moron, don't listen to him.

Really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.