Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The bullying argument against gay adoption... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    Your bold highlight shows nothing. You are simply trying and failing at picking errors in my writing. How spiteful. I suggest you grow up. And may I ask where these random assumptions about my level of confidence have stemmed from? How are they even relevant to the topic of the thread?
    :facepalm: Until this post, this has been the structure of your argument:

I am right. I am not going to say why I'm right, I'm just going to tell you I am right and assume you will be satisfied. When you ask me to elaborate, I am going to tell you that you're stupid. All this time I will not actually answer your question.

You resorted to childish name calling instead of providing reasons why you disagree with me. This is not a mature way to approach an argument. I don't see why that is so difficult to understand. Don't tell me I'm stupid, need to be tested, should leave the country etc and then have the utter nerve to tell me I need to grow up. You were the one who started with the childishness, not me. This is not adult behaviour. I would have been a lot more respectful if you had just been mature.

(Original post by Converse)
    And with all the issues you've raised, you must understand that the children that have been put up for adoption are going to be, in general, more 'damaged' then your average non-adopted child. I am simply saying that it would be evil to further build upon their emotional turmoil by allowing a gay couple to adopt them and thus almost guaranteeing that they will suffer from bullying. Also, the bullying for having homosexual parents is likely to be worse, more persistent and more offensive then the odd "ginner" comment.

And visual aids can come in the form of text.
    See was that so hard? If you had just said this in the first place without the attitude it would have saved so much time and respect.

I think we need to educate children more about situations like this. Sometimes, children can have two dads, and it is normal. I am confident that, if this happens, then in a few years it would not be such an issue. Why make gay people suffer because kids are dicks? If we can tackle racism in schools then we can tackle homophobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Koobideh)
    My only main concern with gays adopting is that gays are not known to have very stable or long-term relationships. Straight couples are more likely to stay with each other until the end, however gays change partners a lot more often so in a way that's not fair on the kid.

But I guess in England it doesn't matter seeing as many straight couples also don't stick with each other for long (although still a bit longer than gay couples). I think there would be a problem in cultures such as Italy or Argentina where people are more committed to marriage and relationships, because then obviously a straight couple is clearly a lot better suited for raising children.
    I would like to challenge your claim that straight relationships last longer than gay ones. Where's your proof?

And just because gay couples are "not known to have very stable or long-term relationships", it doesn't mean they do not. It just means that you are ignorant to the fact that they do.

I disagree with your blanket statement that "gays change partners a lot more often". Perhaps certain individuals, yes. But I could definitely say the same for some straight people I know.

Your final point that a straight couple is "clearly a lot better suited for raising children" is unjustified. Thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    I think we need to educate children more about situations like this. Sometimes, children can have two dads, and it is normal. I am confident that, if this happens, then in a few years it would not be such an issue. Why make gay people suffer because kids are dicks? If we can tackle racism in schools then we can tackle homophobia.
    Thing is it's not 'normal', and thus will never be fully accepted (or even as accepted as race). Although I do agree that kids need to be educated about this sort of thing, as that's probably the most effective way to try and tackle it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hereinyourarms)
    I would like to challenge your claim that straight relationships last longer than gay ones. Where's your proof?

And just because gay couples are "not known to have very stable or long-term relationships", it doesn't mean they do not. It just means that you are ignorant to the fact that they do.

I disagree with your blanket statement that "gays change partners a lot more often". Perhaps certain individuals, yes. But I could definitely say the same for some straight people I know.

Your final point that a straight couple is "clearly a lot better suited for raising children" is unjustified. Thankyou.
    It's a well established fact that gay relationships don't last long. You can figure that out just by meeting gays, but now that I searched it up I found statistics proving my claims correct: http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=IS04C02

When I said straight couples, I was referring to straight couples in conservative countries such as Italy and Argentina where the rate of divorce is low and when people get married they get married for life. Therefore, yes in a country like that straight couples would be better suited than gay couples who can't even stay in a relationship with each other. Anyway, there are certain things that children shouldn't be raised to think are acceptable, such as promiscuity and unfaithfulness, which unfortunately would be made to seem normal for a child if raised by gay parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Gail)
    Are you honestly trying to say that kids with only one parent don't get bullied because of it? I was bullied when I was younger because it was just me and my mum, and my dad was dead. There are people who'll stoop to that level.
    This. Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Simple solution: license all parents - thoroughly - especially those of which who are adopting.

Only reason i'm against MOST gay adoption is the parents tend to be very sexually permiscuous and very irritating. Why not just raise a child alongside a woman and find your sexual desires elsewhere? Stop rubbing off your unnatural homoness on your adopted (stolen) child.

As for surrogate mothers - it disgusts me that anyone would do that for a child they may never see again.

(I realise this has been a very male orientated argument, the same will obviously apply to lesbians aswell)
    Are you for ****ing real?! Your disgusted at surrogate mothers? So people who cannot physically have children and adoption is not an option for them should go without even if they can provide a loving stable home?!
    Christ people like you make me sick

Ewww two fag dads? I'd probably beat the **** out of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derangedyoshi)
    I can see myself seeing slammed with negs for this, but... *shrugs*
    I think that men are different from women. Modern political correctness teaches that every person is the same, but I do believe that there are differences between genders. I think women can be more openly loving and caring, and there are equivalent positive aspects of men.
    It's shown by the fact that in almost all families I know of, including mine, the son is close with the mother and the daughter is close with the father, not the other way around. There must be something special.
    I'm not trying to stereotype here. I believe that all men have feminine qualities in varying amounts, and vice versa. I just think that a child raised by a homosexual couple is missing out on something - or perhaps is more likely to miss out on something - crucial.
    My thoughts are a bit vague. It's not that I'm a homophobic and to be honest I don't even have a solid opinion. If I was gay, I'd hate the idea of not being able to raise a child. I'm just not entirely sure.
    From the way you've gone about this I'm inclined to think you think this happens 'naturally', that it's the way our brains develop due to our genes or something similar. But I have to ask, do you think that it is a genetic difference, or that there are social environmental factors at work here that cause this divide.

Obviously gender is important in modern society, from locker rooms to basic forms, from identity to behaviour, gender is a part of how we conceptualise people.
    Whether it's binary or not, whether it's based on sex or not, is another question.
    Sex isn't binary (applying the word to humans), or if it is to some the modern day conceptualisation of sex doesn't account for all humans. The exceptions in this case break the rule.

Looking at your post at a more applied level, you said that men and women are different etc. And therefore two men raising a child together (note: I'm saying men, not gay men, I'm not sure sexuality should be considered as part of our identity when broken down into 'homosexual' and 'heterosexual' acts).
    It doesn't in itself follow that two people of the same sex ought not to adopt a child. What they may 'miss out on' is something you place importance on. But that's not to say that that individual would place importance on it.
    Moreover that they may gain things that you do not gain as you've been raised by parents of separate sexes.

On that basis then you need more in your argument if you're to exclude same sex would be adopting parents from adopting.

However, there's a little more. Sex is merely a biological distinction (as I said before). For some reason it can be important in things beyond that of the reproductive system, or the biological issues such as testicular cancer or erm, vaginal cancer? (is that the correct term?) However gender is about the way we act or who we are. We are feminine or masculine etc.
    Or some in-between or a mix of both.
    If a man acts in a feminine fashion in front of the adopted, and takes the role that our society dictates as the 'mothers role' then would that not provide that vague 'thing' you mentioned before?

All of this is based in how we view the world, what social constructions we put authority in.

I can't believe this is how I'm spending Christmas morning! More than that, I'm enjoying it.
    /geek.

(Original post by Anonymous)
      Ewww two fag dads? I'd probably beat the **** out of them
      So big and tough that you need to hide behind anon. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      It's a well established fact that gay relationships don't last long. You can figure that out just by meeting gays, but now that I searched it up I found statistics proving my claims correct: http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=IS04C02

When I said straight couples, I was referring to straight couples in conservative countries such as Italy and Argentina where the rate of divorce is low and when people get married they get married for life. Therefore, yes in a country like that straight couples would be better suited than gay couples who can't even stay in a relationship with each other. Anyway, there are certain things that children shouldn't be raised to think are acceptable, such as promiscuity and unfaithfulness, which unfortunately would be made to seem normal for a child if raised by gay parents.
      You know what part of what page I love the most on that website?
      This page:
      http://www.frc.org/human-sexuality#homosexuality
      I'm sure there's no second agenda behind anything they say though:rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by there's too much love)
      You know what part of what page I love the most on that website?
      This page:
      http://www.frc.org/human-sexuality#homosexuality
      I'm sure there's no second agenda behind anything they say though:rolleyes:.
      It's totally irrelevant because they didn't make those studies. All they did was post the statistics from other organizations who collected this data, and those organizations are fair and balanced. Everything on the page is well sourced. I personally got no problem with gays, but I can admit they do not have normal relationships by normal standards. I know many gay people, so I knew this even before reading any statistics, I even got a gay guy living in my house..
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Tbh Im more concerned of the possibility of psychological damage to a child. Have any studies been carried out on the effects of having gay parents? I don't really think the bullying argument has any merit.

Edit. Did my own research and there is no major psychological effects.

ReputationRep:

I find it funny how you used the FRC as a source, personally I feel an unbiased source is more effective to back up your point rather than some crazy far right American group.

You seem to be quite closed minded, even with your completely unreliable source where is it said that 100% of gay couples are promiscuous. Are you not smart enough to realise that couples who go through the (long and difficult) process of adoption are the type to commit and stay dedicated to the others, as opposed to bed hoppers. Is your bigotry and homophobia really making you that stupid?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      Tbh Im more concerned of the possibility of psychological damage to a child. Have any studies been carried out on the effects of having gay parents? I don't really think the bullying argument has any merit.

This likely sounds like a really homophobic post but I do not mean it that way I'd just rather see some evidence that having gay parents has no effect on a child first.
      Yes studies have been taken and have proved that there is no psychological damage to children raised in same sex families, source links were posted earlier in this thread.

ReputationRep:
      One of my friends has two dads, and she's never been bullied, another's mum is a lesbian. No one's ever said anything nasty and, frankly, a decent person doesn't care if someone's parents gay, straight, bi or whatever.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bellrosk)
      Yes studies have been taken and have proved that there is no psychological damage to children raised in same sex families, source links were posted earlier in this thread.
      Yeah I just read a Wiki article to see a overview. Apparently the gender roles change slightly. Boys become more caring and girls more likely to become doctors and such. Plus it lead to children being more aware of homosexual relationships and more likely to try them but no difference in how many actually identified with being gay.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      Yeah I just read a Wiki article to see a overview. Apparently the gender roles change slightly. Boys become more caring and girls more likely to become doctors and such. Plus it lead to children being more aware of homosexual relationships and more likely to try them but no difference in how many actually identified with being gay.
      Can you link me to this article please?

ReputationRep:
      Honestly, the bullying argument is so ridiculous. Should fat people not be allowed to adopt? Disabled people? Older people? I don't think that the predjudices of a few bullies should prevent a child from receiving a loving home.
      I think your argument is ridiculous.

Have you ever heard of children being bullied because their parents are old or fat?

Stop talking out of your ass.

ReputationRep:
      I want to participate in this thread, but there are so many responses to read through. CBA.

EDIT: Why did I get a red thumbs down for this? I love the gays!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by paradox13)
      I think your argument is ridiculous.

Have you ever heard of children being bullied because their parents are old or fat?

Stop talking out of your ass.

People have been bullied because their parents are fat. Also if their parents are disabled.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.