Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    I'm using the iBooks purely to avoid paying for them, and because I currently have too many books in my room. They're overflowing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    It is metal, I'm just heavy I think. Too much christmas food. :cry2:
    :rofl:

Time to hit the gym me thinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    I'm using the iBooks purely to avoid paying for them, and because I currently have too many books in my room. They're overflowing...
    Same here. Damn the charity shops and their selection of one pound classics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
    Same here. Damn the charity shops and their selection of one pound classics!
    My bed has two drawers underneath, one is filled with books, my wardrobe drawer is filled with books, two of my 3 desk drawers are filled with books, there's a box in the garage filled with my books, a bigger box with my dad's books, a fully-stocked bookshelf in the conservatory, books on my other desk, books on my bedside table...
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    1984 :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Did someone guess what book this was?

I can guess...but I've googled
    nope :emo:

i'll add in a prize next time.

It is metal, I'm just heavy I think. Too much christmas food. :cry2:
    it's fine. i've been pigging out on ready-meals.

student education here I COMMMMMEEEE :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    The kindle is the end of traditional reading.

P*sses me off to see how reading from a book is being overtaken by some device that will end up damaging your eyesight.

The feel of the fresh paper as you run your finger across each page, flicking through the book to smell the freshness, turning every page in excitement... :moon:

(BUT, I see why some people would buy them. )
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    i'm a science student as well :teeth:

and yes, i have a ****load of exams in January as well. boo.
    But at least you do English. :rolleyes:

It's my 2nd year and I need my grades for med.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Someone with some sense of exploration voted for The Pillowman - good on you sir or sir-ess.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who finds those kinds of lists depressing?:sad: My dad gave me the one of them too :cry2:

And yay! Heart of Darkness is still in the lead :dance:
    It's not depressing at all. Once you've read everything on the list you know you're ready to die. Some people might find that comforting, right? :confused:
    The irony is I'm not one of those people at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovesJellyTots)
    It's not depressing at all. Once you've read everything on the list you know you're ready to die. Some people might find that comforting, right? :confused:
    The irony is I'm not one of those people at all
    Suffice to say I'm not one of those people either, but I don't doubt there some out there, in some dark corner of our universe

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Time to hit the gym me thinks
    I really should. Mainly because in a burst of enthusiasm last term I paid for four sessions. I still have three to use.

ReputationRep:
    I think the original topic of conversation has been lost, or maybe it's just hiding. I can't even remember what was happening before bookmarks and the gym was brought into it

ReputationRep:
    We're just twiddling our thumbs til voting closes tomorrow I think.

LET'S TALK ABOUT BOOKS

ReputationRep:
    Umkay, which books?

ReputationRep:
    I really should. Mainly because in a burst of enthusiasm last term I paid for four sessions. I still have three to use.
    hahha, looks like your enthusiasm wasn't very long lived

I always do things like that though; I decide I'm suddenly very motivated to say, sort out my wardrobe and keep it tidy and it will only stay that way for about 4 days

edit: oopsy, didn't realise we had officially stopped veering off topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovesJellyTots)
    Umkay, which books?
    What was the last book you read/are currently reading?

I am reading The Little White Car by some french lady whose name I can't remember and which is not in front of me right now. So far a stoned lady has accidentally driven her mum's fiat uno into Princess Diana's car and now she's trying to cover it up. It is quite amusing.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like veering off topic :erm:

OMAM isn't bad. Enjoying it muchly at the moment.

(Original post by lonely14)
    But at least you do English. :rolleyes:

It's my 2nd year and I need my grades for med.
    where are you applying/hoping to go? :3

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually ashamed to admit the last book I read was for my English A-level coursework, Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier. Coursework deadlines are looming so I haven't had much time for recreational reading

however it is a good read, although the love story moves way too quickly for my tastes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    am so happy to hear this! Will let you know how I get on with mine. That's a good point about the 3G option, you don't want to end up hanging round coffee shops to use their wifi! The capacity is amazing isn't it - will be brilliant next time I go away, instead of loading my case with books I'll just take my Kindle :love:
    Haha yeah, I've already got a thousand on it!

(Original post by awais590)
    The kindle is the end of traditional reading.

P*sses me off to see how reading from a book is being overtaken by some device that will end up damaging your eyesight.

The feel of the fresh paper as you run your finger across each page, flicking through the book to smell the freshness, turning every page in excitement... :moon:

(BUT, I see why some people would buy them. )
    I doubt that hugely - books will likely stay for much, much longer. And no way in hell would I have bought an ereader if it was bad for your eyesight - my eyes can't handle any more reading from lcd screens! But I have to read ebooks for uni, so I have no choice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.