Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why are brits unfortunate looking in the looks department? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    We have been invaded over and over and over and over again.

Then, came generations upon generations of immigration.

Our gene pool is very varied.

And ask our ex-colonies how insular we are?
    :facepalm:
    1) Invasion does not mean integration
    2) How many hundreds of years ago was the last invasion?
    3) Immigration...? What you on about? Certainly none on a scale long enough to be of any consideration
    4)Oh dear. You really think the colonies mingled with the natives, or as they liked to call them, the savages? Come back to reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Or British Posh Boys. :mmm:
    Oh yes, that works too :mmm::laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    Well I can only speak from experience, I have been to many European countries and the ratio of good looking to ugly is no different to here in any of them. But you have a point, we do have the highest obesity rate in Europe, perhaps we need to take a few tips from the rest of them.

Anyway I apologise for being aggressive in my posts. It just pisses me off because this thread topic has been brought up thousands of times before, often by people who think they are being original and clever.
    I'm being none of those trust me, it's not hard to say something is ugly, it's more hard to understand reasons behind something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Because of all the inbreeding not helped by men & women's huge lack of fashion sense. They know they look like **** so instead of doing something about it they bury their head in the sand making matters worse. Though it prob has to do with being an island so a piss poor variety of genetics hence the short, squat men and women.
    Im neither short, nor squat, I'm 6'4, and I dont weigh a kg over 75kg, hardly short or squat...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katq)
    Well, it's shows like "Jeremy Kyle" and "Spoilt Teenagers" and "Supersize vs Skinny" and "Style by Jury" etc which make this stereotype. The only British shows aired abroad, at least here in Norway, are about (body)image and the improvement of this, or mentally messed up people.

Gillian McKeith isn't helping either, complaining about her people to the whole world.
    Haha. I've seen several British shows here that aren't about that though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Nope, matter of genetics thanks to science

Oh yes I have to meet everyone to know that the UK is an island and that many, many foreign countries regard Brits as ugly. What are you working on? Sheer ignorance? What do you have to show the opposite? That's right, nothing
    I don't think I am the one being ignorant, since not once did I even suggest the opposite. Not my problem if you misinterpreted what I said.

(Original post by Luceria)
      Oh yes, that works too :mmm::laugh:
      BHM doesn't just mean Big Handsome Men, it also means Beautiful Hiberno Males.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by georgia)
      Same for me. I started watching it after being persuaded by a couple of friends, they used him being attractive almost as bait, haha. I love love love his Chuck accent though, which puts his natural accent into a close second. He's ridiculously dreamy.

I'm partial to Chace Crawford too, on a good day. Less so though because he's too pretty preppy boy for me.
      I think Chace Crawford looks like a Ken barbie doll. He's not ugly. It's just that he looks like Ken. And Nate is so stupid (most of them are).. Just ruins it! haha
      It's always so strange (yet very nice) hearing him speak with his natural accent!

ReputationRep:
      Well, I've only dated British people. And I've found them fiendishly attractive
      Prospects here ain't so bad.

ReputationRep:
      What the ****?! Every country has beautiful, handsome, pretty, ugly, grotesque looking people. It's not just this country. Stop ****ging ya own ****ing country off.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mazty)
      :facepalm:
      1) Invasion does not mean integration
      2) How many hundreds of years ago was the last invasion?
      3) Immigration...? What you on about? Certainly none on a scale long enough to be of any consideration
      4)Oh dear. You really think the colonies mingled with the natives, or as they liked to call them, the savages? Come back to reality.
      1) Are you saying the archetypal Briton doesn't have Anglo-Saxon, Roman and some Northern French influences?
      2) How is that relevant? The genes are there. When they were introduced is of no importance.
      3) I disagree, it is certainly on a large enough scale to have an impact. ~10% of Britons are non white. Meaning at least 1 in 10 Britons are relatively recent immigrants. That's a pretty large scale effect.

Also, a large number of northerners are of Irish decent. That's a new mix of genes to add in.

4) Was unrelated to the genetics argument, and was just refuting that Britain is an insular country.

For people to blame ugliness on an unvaried gene pool is just ridicules, given both the ancient and modern history of our islands.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
      I don't think I am the one being ignorant, since not once did I even suggest the opposite. Not my problem if you misinterpreted what I said.
      Yes you are being ignorant. You just came on & ranted without taking any facts into consideration and just said "Ere iz 6 peep. Total represent 60 millionz f'shur!".
      Look at the wider picture - foreign opinions and the science of beauty.
      (Original post by 0d1a2n3n4y)
      Im neither short, nor squat, I'm 6'4, and I dont weigh a kg over 75kg, hardly short or squat...
      Then being that height you should realise how short everyone else is. I know I do

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      BHM doesn't just mean Big Handsome Men, it also means Beautiful Hiberno Males.

:getmecoat:
      :mmm:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
      1) Are you saying the archetypal Briton doesn't have Anglo-Saxon, Roman and some Northern French influences?
      2) How is that relevant? The genes are there. When they were introduced is of no importance.
      3) I disagree, it is certainly on a large enough scale to have an impact. ~10% of Britons are non white. Meaning at least 1 in 10 Britons are relatively recent immigrants. That's a pretty large scale effect.

Also, a large number of northerners are of Irish decent. That's a new mix of genes to add in.

4) Was unrelated to the genetics argument, and was just refuting that Britain is an insular country.

For people to blame ugliness on an unvaried gene pool is just ridicules, given both the ancient and modern history of our islands.
      1)Wow, some genetic variation from what, 800 years ago?
      2)Get an education kid. Genetic variation needs constant mixing otherwise it no longer is varied due to it being essentially watered down through generations :rolleyes: Saying when it was introduced doesn't matter shows how utterly oblivious to the workings of biology you are making this debate a waste of time as you won't even see your own incompetence.
      3)They haven't mixed though have they? And how long have they been here? 20 years? That is not going to have any major impact at all.
      4)Don't digress then

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mazty)
      Yes you are being ignorant. You just came on & ranted without taking any facts into consideration and just said "Ere iz 6 peep. Total represent 60 millionz f'shur!".
      Do you even know what point I was trying to make? I was not saying all British people are gorgeous for goodness sake, I thought that was fairly obvious.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mazty)
      x
      You think that Irish immigrants didn't mix with the local population of the North.

Obviously not me that needs some basic education.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mazty)

Then being that height you should realise how short everyone else is. I know I do
      touche... Although I was only trying to prove im neither short nor squat

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Luceria)
      I think Chace Crawford looks like a Ken barbie doll. He's not ugly. It's just that he looks like Ken. And Nate is so stupid (most of them are).. Just ruins it! haha
      It's always so strange (yet very nice) hearing him speak with his natural accent!
      It's true, he's too 'perfect' looking which does ruin it along with the slowness!

Not gonna lie, I do like Ed's natural accent. He just seems so lovely!

ReputationRep:
      To be honest, I hadn't noticed that we were especially worse looking than other nations. Maybe I don't get out enough. Or have low standards. Or both (probable).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Steevee)
      I'm sure they do, but I'm talking about the average women. I suppose it's peronal preference in the end, but I wouldn't say they are better looking than British women on the whole.

But regardless of specific countries, I think we can both agre that British women are far more attractive than the average women from other countries.
      Well, generally speaking they are better looking than British women.

British women are nice in the way they are down to earth and genuine people, but in terms of looks, even if you travel across Europe you will find British women are not that great looking comparing to the women of Europe.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.