Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    Yeah I certainly don't disagree that most people will actually prefer the kindle, but as a personal thing, I'm going to stick to buying books on the amazon marketplace!
    I would expect more people to prefer books for the tactileness really. I expected to, particularly with hardbacks, but I find the dictionary so comprehensive its indispensable.

The highlighting is really useful for me as well since I read a lot of allegorical fiction, so I can mark favourite passages reversibly unlike with a normal book. (Unless I used loads of post it notes) I guess it would be useful for work as well, but my degree doesn't involve much reading at all.

Plus, you can't pirate ordinary books. :ninja:

(Original post by Inversion)
      The dictionary lookup and highlighting is just plain awesome.
      I was reading a physical book the other day, saw a word I was unfamiliar with, and instinctively twitched my thumb to get a dictionary lookup. :no:

ReputationRep:
      £9.10 each is SO worth not having to lug huge dictionaries to uni with me

ReputationRep:
      Being able to lay in bed, and stay in on position makes reading less of an arduous task. You all know what I mean. That having to position the book properly, then having to move so you can read the next page, all whilst you get fatigue in your wrists from supporting the weight of the book.

The Kindle is genius. Amazon must be making some serious monies with this

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by moneyballs2)
      Being able to lay in bed, and stay in on position makes reading less of an arduous task. You all know what I mean. That having to position the book properly, then having to move so you can read the next page, all whilst you get fatigue in your wrists from supporting the weight of the book.

Apparently it's Amazon's no. 1 selling product on their whole website, which is saying a lot for something that costs over £100. By mid-2010 they had sold over 4m! I'd be very interested to hear how many have been sold now Christmas has passed!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by moneyballs2)

Very true. I also like the way it stays "open" - much easier to read while eating - I don't like to flatten a paperback because it destroys the spine.

I've converted some word documents to put on there (using calibre) - makes my notes look so much better and more readable, somehow!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ziedj)
      Right, after many many days of excitement and a VERY late amazon delivery, my kindle arrived.

I was reading non-stop yesterday - YES, it's wonderful, YES it looks like paper, YES it can be read for hours without hurting your eyes, YES it's a cool purchase.. but sadly, mine's being returned It just doesn't feel like a book.. every time I would read from it, I couldn't stop thinking how much more I would love to be reading the actual book.

Now don't get me wrong - this is a very personal thing. Every single person I've spoken to with a kindle, bar none, hasn't stopped praising it, so the likelihood is you'll agree with them, not me, and you too will love a kindle. But if you have not only a love of reading, but also a love for books and paper and the smell of books and the feel of books and just general bookiness like me (which I didn't realise I had so much - I thought I'd happily be ditching "clumsy heavy books" for a nice sleek gadget, but I was wrong, I seem to love clumsy heavy books ) .. perhaps not for you. Definitely try one out first - I didn't!
      I'm in the same frame of mind.. except I got mine for Christmas and just don't know how to go about bringing it up with the parents :s

ReputationRep:
      I was going to get an ereader but whilst looking around decided on a tablet instead and so bought myself a Scroll. I get to read my books play games and do other stuff to.

ReputationRep:
      I now have a kindle!! I'm not a total convert to ebooks but loving being able to search through Shakespeare and Eliot at the click of a button!

ReputationRep:
      I'm an English Literature student and I've treated myself to a Kindle for my non-academic reading for pleasure. I'd love to get recommendations from you guys as to which books I should download. Obviously I'm reading some pretty heavy, classical stuff on my course so I'm looking for novels that are just good reads, you know?

I was thinking about starting off with the Stieg Larsson Millennium series, but what else?

I like all kinds of genres, crime, mystery, thriller, comedy etc.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
      The hungry caterpillar...

It will Blow. Your. Mind!

ReputationRep:
      The Gormenghast Trilogy (I believe you can get this for free)? Gothic fantasy classic.

I keep having "I want a kindle" phases. In your opinion, was it worth the money?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Absinth)
      The Gormenghast Trilogy (I believe you can get this for free)? Gothic fantasy classic.

I keep having "I want a kindle" phases. In your opinion, was it worth the money?
      Thanks for the recommendation.

I think it's well worth the money. To be honest I think it's relatively cheap for the technology you get. Holds up to 3500 books, and I was running out of room on my shelves!

ReputationRep:
      the free ones

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by aja89)
      Thanks for the recommendation.

I think it's well worth the money. To be honest I think it's relatively cheap for the technology you get. Holds up to 3500 books, and I was running out of room on my shelves!
      I would *love* to get a kindle. Might consider getting one this summer...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
      General: The Count of Monte Cristo, Crime and Punishment and 1984.
      Mystery: The Prestige.
      Comedy/satire: Discworld novels and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
      Fantasy: His Dark Materials. Black Magician trilogy, A Song of Ice and Fire, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Stravaganza series, The Banned and The Banished, Wheel of Time series, Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, Dark Tower, Chronicles of Narinia
      Science fiction: Foundation, Dune and Revelation Space

It's well worth the money. The screen makes it look like actual print (so not just advertising there), battery goes for a month, feels light and comfortable, holds thousands of books and the page turn buttons are great if you lie on your side in bed.

Of course, it doesn't replace books entirely - there's still that lack of smell and feel of paper :coma:
      Ha. Might get one with vac scheme pay then (if I can husband my resources well)...

ReputationRep:
      There are a lot of free ones, that are good, especially if you like philosophy, or old novels. However for other books terry pratchett is one of my favourite authors, his stuff is hilarious.

ReputationRep:
      All the free ones!

(because I'm a cheapskate)

ReputationRep:
      Donna Tartt- her two books are really good (The Secret History and The Little Friend).

Alexander McCall Smith

Roald Dahl- children's/adult fiction

Jenny Diski

Nick Hornby (About a Boy and High Fidelity- his newer stuff's not so good)

Fay Weldon

Sophie Kinsella

Perfume by Patrick Suskind

ReputationRep:
      I'm considering getting a kindle.

Problem is I don't want to lose the book feeling you know ? The smell of old books, the feel of them and just the general experience.

So if I get a Kindle how do I decide which books I buy on paper and which ones I buy for the Kindle ? I would never want all my books on there.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.