Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fireph gets serious with SS Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to become unpopular...
    Bad session today (gym was packed) - however the upshot was my dead is getting royally ****ed by my grip, and if i use chalk i will be banned...
    so, imma buy some straps (i know) - im going to start doing hangs and keep doing all but work sets without, but frankly i refuse to have my grip stop me from progressing

Also im sick of SS, and reckon im going to change it soon

ReputationRep:
    What did you lift today then?

Why are you going to become unpopular?

ReputationRep:
    I dont imagine straps are too popular in these parts, neither will be the routine I pick (which will be size not strength)

Dead 120x4 grip failure
    Bench 65x4 x4
    Chins, dips
    SLDL - just gave this a try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    I dont imagine straps are too popular in these parts, neither will be the routine I pick (which will be size not strength)

Dead 120x4 grip failure
    Bench 65x4 x4
    Chins, dips
    SLDL - just gave this a try
    All I've seen about straps are that they are fine. It's stuff like gloves that aren't popular.
    Also I've gotten a bit p'd off with SS, will milk it for all its got then switch in a couple weeks.

ReputationRep:
    frankly im done with SS - i know i haven't quite reached the xBW numbers, but im pretty close and frankly I dont think i can make more progress on SS, if only because im so sick of it I dont have the motivation anymore.

Going to run HST as I've said (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...cific_Training) - will find numbers next week, have wekk or so off and then have som light lifting for a couple weeks, all of which fits in nicely with exams

ReputationRep:
    you get banned if you use chalk???? thats F'ed up. Do all you can without straps like alternate grip or do some grip assistance exercises to see if it helps. im no expert but if you start using straps now your grip wont ever get stronger.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt you have gotten all you can with those stats.

ReputationRep:
    I'm back *****es

Just had a break in session today, ****ing killed me

Bench 60 x5 x5 x4
    Dead 100 x5 110x2 some dead holds
    couple chins and dips

ReputationRep:
    Benched again yesterday as nothing else was free, did some 57.5 x7 x7 x7 for some hypertrophy
    Squat 80x5 x5 x5 - I reckon ill get this past two plates again fairly quickly
    OHP 40x4 x4 x3 - proper form - im locking in proper form and this will go up

Feeling good about SS again - I still want a more aesthetics based split though, im thinking of throwing in a third workout where I do 7 or 8 reps at a slightly lower weight and shuffle which excercises i do on this day

ReputationRep:
    Row 60 3x5
    Dead 110x5
    Squat 85 3x5

ReputationRep:
    Squat 90 3x5
    OHP 40 3x5 - im going to be very careful with this lift - small increases only when hitting 3x5
    Bench 62.5 x4 x4 x3 - shouldnt have done this last, body was already broken

ReputationRep:
    Bench 62.5 3x5
    Chins 5 4 3 pathetic
    Squat 95 3x5
    Deadlift 115x5

Deadlift hurt like hell, my hamstrings were broken from the squats.
    Need to do some hamstring strengthening I reckon

ReputationRep:
    Squat 100 3x5 - I reckon i just got to parallel.
    OHP 42.5 x5 - my left tricep / shoulder felt really weird so didnt go for any more sets
    Row 62.5 3x5

ReputationRep:
    Bench 65 5 4 4 - nearly
    Squat 105x3 100x3 100x3 felt very heavy
    Dead 120x5

ReputationRep:
    Squat 100 5 4 5 - Deep - felt better
    OHP 42.5 5 4 4 - nearly full set
    Row 65 4 5 5
    Brocep work
    Nice session

ReputationRep:
    Bench - 65 5 5 4 - couldnt find the plates for 67.5
    Squat 102.5 5 5 5 - felt really nice - getting depth has taken away the pain i used to feel in my lower back - i actually enjoyed these!
    Dead 125 x5 with straps
    Some chins

ReputationRep:
    Had a look back - that dead is actually a PB - also, i'm weighing around 13 stone now, so (by my standards) thats pretty strong for my weight - when i last hit 140x1 i was around 13'8 or 13'9

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a shocker today.
    Squat 105 x3 x3 x3 x3 x3 - my hamstrings felt terrible, really painful
    Row 67.5 x4 x5 x4
    OHP 45 x5 x3 x3
    Chins

ReputationRep:
    Bad session

Bench 67.5 2 4 4
    Squat - went for some volume, my hamstrings still feel really painful - 82.5 7 8 8
    Deadlift 130 2 1 ****

ReputationRep:
    Feel sick - need to man up a go to the gym but the numbers won't be good

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.