Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why have all the greatest boxers/rappers in the world embraced Islam? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Frankly I don't care about rappers and boxers much. What are disproportional amount of physical scientists and philosophers? I don't agree with that reasoning and showing how it can be used against you (not specifically OP).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    Yeah, because given 30 mins I couldnt create a list of successful people who have become atheists.

Edit: Oh look. wikipedia already did it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheists
    That was really interesting to read. Surprised at some of them. Harold Bishop from Neighbours is an Atheist? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Also, as for your list of rappers, music taste is entirely subjective, and you'll find that the majority of rappers who have been globally successful haven't been Islamic at all. The only way of measuring music with one scale is by sales figures, and that totally contradicts your list of rappers.

I'm not saying anything negative about Islam, I'm just pointing out that this thread proves nothing at all. The idea that Islam somehow leads people to be inherently better at rapping is absolute rubbish, or that people who are good at rapping are inherently more likely to convert to Islam. The whole thing is subjective and it says nothing about Islam as a religion.

F.e, I could say, Stephen Hawking doesn't believe in God therefore all supremely intelligent people don't believe in God. Now that's blatantly wrong, because I've just picked, chosen and seen exactly what I want to see, which is exactly what's been done in the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    No, it proves im dyslexic. And can't be arsed to use dictionaries online.
    That's pretty evident

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callumt_y)
    Dont even get into it! Some of these responses have really open my eyes, people who criticise Islam are so full of hate and know nothing about Islam - we should just leave them be
    i know but is so hard.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest everyone read The True Religion by Bilal A.A. Phillips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    That was really interesting to read. Surprised at some of them. Harold Bishop from Neighbours is an Atheist? :eek:
    Lol who? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Also, as for your list of rappers, music taste is entirely subjective, and you'll find that the majority of rappers who have been globally successful haven't been Islamic at all. The only way of measuring music with one scale is by sales figures, and that totally contradicts your list of rappers.

I'm not saying anything negative about Islam, I'm just pointing out that this thread proves nothing at all. The idea that Islam somehow leads people to be inherently better at rapping is absolute rubbish, or that people who are good at rapping are inherently more likely to convert to Islam. The whole thing is subjective and it says nothing about Islam as a religion.

F.e, I could say, Stephen Hawking doesn't believe in God therefore all supremely intelligent people don't believe in God. Now that's blatantly wrong, because I've just picked, chosen and seen exactly what I want to see, which is exactly what's been done in the OP.
    I never said it did, it was rooted out of pure curiosity and I think it's less so about rappers/boxers and more so about the culture of black america.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)
    They've found the truth.

I think Muhammad Ali explained in an interview why he converted and what brought him to Islam. I'm sure you can find it on Youtube.

Didn't know Mike Tyson and Ice Cube are Muslim.
    Mike Tyson is and so is dace chappell (his brother even became a so called "sheikh/preacher lol" But Ice cube? No I don't think so. I don't know why people convert it's just weird... but the number of converts is stupidly high. A lot of british White youngesters have converted where I live, and even more in London. It is weird and a bit ... I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mia_14)
    there are billions of muslim , are we blowing are selfs up ???
    No, though that'd be an impressive explosion...
    (Original post by mia_14)
    dont compare muslims with those ****ers who are hiding themselves in the mountains.
    Don't compare muslims with.. other muslims? Yeh ok.

I don't actually agree with any religions but you can't deny that there's a noticable lack of people from the other religions blowing themselves up, even a minority.

ReputationRep:

Why are you spending time and effort to provide an argument for your case when it is clear this thread has turned to point scoring ergo descended to the dogs? No offence but...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logi)
    No, though that'd be an impressive explosion...Don't compare muslims with.. other muslims? Yeh ok.

I don't actually agree with any religions but you can't deny that there's a noticable lack of people from the other religions blowing themselves up, even a minority.
    Would you say all Catholics are Paedos?

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought until a few pages in I got bombarded with anti-Islamic posts.
    So I see, just read through the rest of the thread. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm there's something very endearing about the religion - there must be, people gravitate towards it. I'm trying to knowledge myself about the faith.
    I'm glad you are. There are some very close-minded people who associate islam with all things bad. im happy to see that you're not one of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logi)
    No, though that'd be an impressive explosion...Don't compare muslims with.. other muslims? Yeh ok.

Let me break down to you

those terrorists are NOT muslim , not by any chance

what they are doing are totally against islam. they are brain washed into insanity

ReputationRep:
    Well the Boxers are addled by thousands of punches to the face, and rappers aren't exactly known for their intelligence.

Not sure those are great examples anyway, I mean just from that list I can see a murderer and a rapist. Just sayin'

ReputationRep:
    That's true but alot move along to the more traditional side of Islam. I'm more interested in the fact why black AMERICA has embraced Islam - and this doesn't necessaries mean to convert to traditional Islam this means to understand what others arent understanding. Even guys like say Nas, Kweli, Common - they've mentioned Islam numerous times. Black america in my estimation appear to be the least ignorant sect towards the faith and the point was what resonates between the two - what do they get that others aren't.
    The majority of The Wu Tang Clan , Black Thought and Rakim are all still 5 percenters as far as I'm aware and that takes away a big part of your list. As far as I'm aware black Americans haven't really embraced Islam to a large extent, merely a few prominent black Americans have. According to wikipedia 83% of black Americans are Christian and only 1% are muslim.

(Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Drugs.
    This comment makes little sense. Boxers are regularly drug tested and all those guys would have to be in peak physical condition so any drug abuse would be counterproductive to their profession. I doubt Muhammed Ali could have beaten George Foreman if his veins were filled with heroin :rolleyes:
    Also apart from Canabis, drug consumption amongst rappers is very rare, especially in regards to the music industry in general where drug abuse is commonplace. In fact everytime a rapper is revealed to have dabbled in hard drugs it is regarded as shocking.
    I don't understand how Islam links with drugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamesh)
    Why are you spending time and effort to provide an argument for your case when it is clear this thread has turned to point scoring ergo descended to the dogs? No offence but...
    I know Trouble is, I replied early on, went away to watch Toy Story 3 (I know, cool right?) and didn't bother checking it. I then replied and found my post amongst 6 pages of nonsense.

STILL, **** happens. Also: FYI, Harold died years ago on Neighbours

ReputationRep:

He hasn't really done that though. OP's just made an observation and wondered why that is. He's also questioning why it's like that in some industries and not so much in others. He hasn't just plainly said "Muhammad Ali believes in God/is a Muslim so all Boxers believe in God/are Muslims". I know you're not saying anything negative about the religion, but you're drifting away from the point of this thread....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    Mike Tyson is and so is dace chappell (his brother even became a so called "sheikh/preacher lol" But Ice cube? No I don't think so. I don't know why people convert it's just weird... but the number of converts is stupidly high. A lot of british White youngesters have converted where I live, and even more in London. It is weird and a bit ... I don't know.
    It's excellent! They find the truth and follow true beliefs which is a beautiful thing. And the belief that connects us all in one God - Allah. It's not weird at all.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.