Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geniusmiss)
    paper should be easier if grade boundaries increase rite? :confused:
    More likely

Personally, I think the hardest thing that could be in the paper is something to do with continuous rectangular distribution, hopefully nothing to mind boggling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    More likely

Personally, I think the hardest thing that could be in the paper is something to do with continuous rectangular distribution, hopefully nothing to mind boggling
    omg same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anshul95)
    you haven't even seen the paper yet so how can you make that judgement?
    Well Edexcel have this really strong thing of switching the difficultly of the paper every session (although this trend can easily be broken) So if you compare all the June papers to the Jan papers for S2, you tend to find that the June papers are harder. Although you never know what could happen tomorrow.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    omg same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Like the question about it in the S2 June 2010 paper, I was like WTF?! But I got 2/5 for that question anyway so it wasn't too bad

ReputationRep:
    Well Edexcel have this really strong thing of switching the difficultly of the paper every session (although this trend can easily be broken) So if you compare all the June papers to the Jan papers for S2, you tend to find that the June papers are harder. Although you never know what could happen tomorrow.
    I tried lukng at the trend for physics...i thot june was hard so yesterday would be easy... but no....

ReputationRep:
    Like the question about it in the S2 June 2010 paper, I was like WTF?! But I got 2/5 for that question anyway so it wasn't too bad
    yeah but if dey gave that last year then it wont come this year yeah...i dnt know wat rubbish will come up this year! ::eek:

ReputationRep:
    i hope its nothing like june 2008 or jan 2009

ReputationRep:
    so scared ive got S2 aswell as S1 exam tomorro
    im not so gud with probability in S1

x

ReputationRep:
    http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20w...and%20Int).pdf

Was 68 for an A* last time, so I am expecting it to rise to about 70/71 tomorrow
    thank you! i always garenteed mess up the question on continuous random variables/continuous uniform distribution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clever clogg)
    so scared ive got S2 aswell as S1 exam tomorro
    im not so gud with probability in S1

x
    dnt worry u'll be alrite...i did s1 in june...i can hardly remember anything...my frnd whos doing it now shwd me a question n i was like "wtf that was in the portion?" i went without any prep and still got b...just one mark off an A...

ReputationRep:
    yeah but if dey gave that last year then it wont come this year yeah...i dnt know wat rubbish will come up this year! ::eek:
    I got 1/5

I would've got 5/5 if I had used the formula, but I started to draw combinations and found out that there were 7 possible combinations, four which matched the question and three which didn't (4cm,6cm , 6cm,4cm and 5cm,5cm) so I wrote 4/7 instead of 4/6.

From now on I will use the formula given on the booklet on those questions and that's it, however I'm still puzzled with that question... what has the combination thingy got wrong? has it got to do with the fact that the uniform distribution is continuous and not discrete?

Apart from that question I find the rest of the past paper questions OK, most of them being very easy. Sometimes, however, the f(x) and F(x) questions get hard, especially in the most recent papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsphysics93)
    I got 1/5

I would've got 5/5 if I had used the formula, but I started to draw combinations and found out that there were 7 possible combinations, four which matched the question and three which didn't (4cm,6cm , 6cm,4cm and 5cm,5cm) so I wrote 4/7 instead of 4/6.

From now on I will use the formula given on the booklet on those questions and that's it, however I'm still puzzled with that question... what has the combination thingy got wrong? has it got to do with the fact that the uniform distribution is continuous and not discrete?

Apart from that question I find the rest of the past paper questions OK, most of them being very easy. Sometimes, however, the f(x) and F(x) questions get hard, especially in the most recent papers.
    Yes you are right - you are assuming a discrete distribution when clearly it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsphysics93)
    I got 1/5

im very scared of the f(x) and F(x) as well as uniform rectangular

ReputationRep:
    we reject Ho when the value is less than 5% or whtever riite?

ReputationRep:
    we reject Ho when the value is less than 5% or whtever riite?
    That depends on the significance level if it says 5% one tail or 10% two tail then fine. If says other significance levels (or if one tailed or two tailed) then maybe you reject it or maybe you don't.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Yes

Has anyone got a good definition of sampling distribution? I don't really fully understand the one given in the book :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atofu)
    ^ Yes

Has anyone got a good definition of sampling distribution? I don't really fully understand the one given in the book :/
    Sampling distribution of a statistic gives all the values of a statistic and the probability that each would happen by chance alone.

ReputationRep:
    what other deifinitions are likely to come up that hvnt done so in the last few past papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atofu)
    ^ Yes

All the values a statistic can take (from all possible samples) and their associated probabilities. Or the probability distribution of the values of a statistic from all possible samples. e.g. say you had a bag with 2/3 of 5 p coins and 1/3 1p coins. 3 coins are taken from the bag. To find the sampling distribution of the statistic the "mean of the sample". We first have to write out all possible samples (reference the example to definition whilst you are following this). We then need to find out the mean of each sample e.g. if 1p, 1p and 5p are picked then the mean is 7/3p. Next we need find the probability of obtaining that particular sample of 3 coins. In our example this is
    (1/3)^2*(2/3). Repeat this for all the other samples. Now add the associated probailities for that particular mean value. Do this for the other means. This is your sampling distribution of the statistic

ReputationRep:
    what other deifinitions are likely to come up that hvnt done so in the last few past papers?
    census and sampling frame perhaps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.