Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    : They've had my portfolio for a month now!
    What kind of thing did you put into your portfolio?? I'm applying to places for which I have been advised to prepare a portfolio for the interview stage and I want to put some things together in advance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    All of my options, I've applied to do English Lit with Creative Writing (or just English where English Lit isn't an option) and and I do write as much as I can, just because I can. I hope I'm good at it. Ha ha.
    Just be careful with the course. I'm not one of those people that thinks creative writing (or strategies for writing, rather) cannot be taught, but it is hardly ever taught well. The degree I did almost sucked me dry of writing, until I went travelling and started writing just for myself again Now I still want to write novels, but I'll be an academic in the meantime

ReputationRep:
    First you need to establish why it is that you want to write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue acre)
    First you need to establish why it is that you want to write.
    I understand that I will never be able to write well if I do not love doing it, and I do. The reason that I write is simply to indulge this passion that I have had for as long as I can remember. I write because it means that I can live through worlds that otherwise would never exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    What kind of thing did you put into your portfolio?? I'm applying to places for which I have been advised to prepare a portfolio for the interview stage and I want to put some things together in advance...
    I'm just about to send mine off in the next few days, still checking through it like crazy for grammar and typos.

I'm submitting the first couple of pages of 3 different novels I've worked on in the past 3 months. (I have to flit between different novels a lot, that way when I procrastinate over one, I write another instead, so I'm still using my time well. XD ) 2 character driven, 1 plot driven for some variety. I also included a few lines on each saying what inspired me, and very briefly outlining the direction that the novel goes off in.

It's taken as read that your material is already prepared and not written 'for the occasion' as it were. That's why they only give you 2 weeks to submit the portfolio. I'd just pick two or three of your favourite recent pieces if you write prose, maybe more for poetry. That said, each university has different requirements. Some want less or more pages than others, so you need to adjust your portfolio as necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    I understand that I will never be able to write well if I do not love doing it, and I do. The reason that I write is simply to indulge this passion that I have had for as long as I can remember. I write because it means that I can live through worlds that otherwise would never exist.
    then I guess you don't want to publish your writing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    then I guess you don't want to publish your writing?
    I do. I would like to, that's sort of what the thread is about; the fact is there's no way it's going to get anyone's attention if I do nothing with it. I would sitll do it if there was absolutely no hope of ever making money from it, but I would like to. The question I was asked was "why do I write", so I answered honestly; I don't write to make money, I write because I want to. To make money from it would be excellent, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mouse Potato)
    I'm just about to send mine off in the next few days, still checking through it like crazy for grammar and typos.

I'm submitting the first couple of pages of 3 different novels I've worked on in the past 3 months. (I have to flit between different novels a lot, that way when I procrastinate over one, I write another instead, so I'm still using my time well. XD ) 2 character driven, 1 plot driven for some variety. I also included a few lines on each saying what inspired me, and very briefly outlining the direction that the novel goes off in.

It's taken as read that your material is already prepared and not written 'for the occasion' as it were. That's why they only give you 2 weeks to submit the portfolio. I'd just pick two or three of your favourite recent pieces if you write prose, maybe more for poetry. That said, each university has different requirements. Some want less or more pages than others, so you need to adjust your portfolio as necessary.
    Thanks, that's really helpful. I have got some things I can take from, I was just wondering if there was anything specific that everywhere would want. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.student)
    ebook? u dont even need a publisher.
    just get it out there and see what happens.
    People could easily copy her work. :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    Surely someone would've noticed that you're a good writer if you actually are?

But anyhow, avoid using cliches and keep your language, imagery, etc. original - if it sounds too much like something you've read or heard, don't be content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    Surely someone would've noticed that you're a good writer if you actually are?
    Not if they haven't had access to my computer, they wouldn't have. I don't have issue with getting what I want to down on paper, but once it's there, I don't know where would be the best place to show it off to get it recognised. How can they notice it, if they've never seen it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    Not if they haven't had access to my computer, they wouldn't have. I don't have issue with getting what I want to down on paper, but once it's there, I don't know where would be the best place to show it off to get it recognised. How can they notice it, if they've never seen it?
    You do english a level. I do too, and have just done a piece of re-creative writing for coursework.

That is how I think someone may have realised. Also, english language GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    You do english a level. I do too, and have just done a piece of re-creative writing for coursework.

That is how I think someone may have realised. Also, english language GCSE?
    Well, obviously, I've given in coursework. I'm not worried about coursework, I'm doing fine in that. I want do it professionally and if my teachers could do anything about that then I'm sure I would have heard about it. That's not what the issue is. What can I do so that other people who aren't grading me can notice my work and maybe make something out of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    [COLOR="Purple"]Not if they haven't had access to my computer, they wouldn't have. I don't have issue with getting what I want to down on paper, but once it's there, I don't know where would be the best place to show it off to get it recognised. How can they notice it, if they've never seen it?[/COLOR]
    the answer really isn't that difficult; publish it/win competitions.

:erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    the answer really isn't that difficult; publish it/win competitions.
    Well, not really. Independent publishing only gets you so far and I need to be noticed before I get properly published, which is what the question was in the first place. And in terms of competition, I'd have to look online and, having already done so, I've noticed that all the halfway decent competitions charge you to give an entry anyway and there's not point in doing just one, so I'd be spending a fortune that I don't have on something that might not even work. I never expected to get a fool-proof answer, but you seem to think it's going to be easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    [COLOR="Purple"]Well, not really. Independent publishing only gets you so far and I need to be noticed before I get properly published, which is what the question was in the first place. And in terms of competition, I'd have to look online and, having already done so, I've noticed that all the halfway decent competitions charge you to give an entry anyway and there's not point in doing just one, so I'd be spending a fortune that I don't have on something that might not even work. I never expected to get a fool-proof answer, but you seem to think it's going to be easy.[/COLOR]
    What genre do you write?

Note, I never said it's going to be easy; I said the answer to your question is "get published". The actual act of getting published is probably a tad more difficult :p:

Firstly, work your way up. Do all the crappy ****ty competitions and then slowly build up a repertoire. Then enter a 'decent' one and if you're confident in your ability then pay that investment entrance fee. If you win, or place, use that money to fund further competition entrance fees.

EDIT: oh neg rep, how mature :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    Well, obviously, I've given in coursework. I'm not worried about coursework, I'm doing fine in that. I want do it professionally and if my teachers could do anything about that then I'm sure I would have heard about it. That's not what the issue is. What can I do so that other people who aren't grading me can notice my work and maybe make something out of it?
    Aight then, whatever. Seems you care a bit too much about this, though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    What genre do you write?

Note, I never said it's going to be easy; I said the answer to your question is "get published". The actual act of getting published is probably a tad more difficult :p:

Firstly, work your way up. Do all the crappy ****ty competitions and then slowly build up a repertoire. Then enter a 'decent' one and if you're confident in your ability then pay that investment entrance fee. If you win, or place, use that money to fund further competition entrance fees.

EDIT: oh neg rep, how mature :rolleyes:
    Ha ha, totally agree: I know I need to get published, my question was how?

I write a bit of everything, I suppose. I kind of lean towards fantasy-horror type thing, but almost always adventure or some kind of journey. I do a lot of everything in that general area, really, I try not to stick to one genre because I'd get dull of repeated the same conventions and I like exploring different genres, seeing what's good to combine, where I can take different storylines, things like that, so saying just one or a couple I think wouldn't cover what I'm trying to do. Whether or not I'm doing it yet is another matter, but I know I'm trying.

I would like to enter one of the crappy competitions, but it's finding the right kind of crappy one, because even they - at the moment, from a completely inexperienced in terms of competitions standpoint - seem oddly daunting. And I've tried Googling to find them, and I've really only come across either very niche genre competitions, or ones that look really good and then you have pay loads to enter, or ones that are still eing advertised but actually announced the winner a few months ago. Which is annoying, to say the least.

I know it's not going to be easy. Just wish it was a little bit easier. Ha. Ah, well. Cheers.

Got any suggestions for decent competitions? They seem to lacking...

ReputationRep:
    Aight then, whatever. Seems you care a bit too much about this, though...
    I'm not sure you understand: I don't just want people to like me, I'm not that vain. This is what I want to do with my life. I kind of have to care.

ReputationRep:
    The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies.

Bradbury "Fahrenheit 451"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.