Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've forgotten my windows password linux is just that much more preferable

Edit:
      (Original post by Fallen)
      3) A number of states (the specific example that comes to mind is Portugal) run Linux. All school computers in Portugal must run Linux. So a 5 year old schoolchild from Portugal can figure out Linux just fine, and you at home complain it doesn't work? Nice.
      lol

(Original post by Emor)
      The last thing I'd use any Linux distribution for would be the GUI. Using just the GUI sorta defeats the point imo.
      EMZ=]
      What I dont want a really old looking OS on an amazing laptop?

(Original post by Saichu)
      l
      Wanna know how to get it back m8 nice to see a mod here

ReputationRep:

Edit:

lol
      Its easy to reset your Windows password with a bootable disk. I've forgot what its called - search google. Unless you were joking :tongue:

What os have you got Saichu

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ANARCHY__)
      Thanks for this.

I see what you mean about XFCE. My main problem is the interface which I know can be changed but seems like a pain to me when GNOME seems to be working fine right now under 10.04. Hour and a half is ok for me. Is there any kind of support forum in the same way there is for Ubuntu?
      There used to be, I think, several years ago, but due to elitism and flaming was closed. The official one now is a sub-board on LinuxQuestions.org. I've found the people there pretty helpful tbh and all the questions I've asked have been answered ^_^.
      Though there is a bigger Ubuntu community than Slackware...
      EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Emor)
      There used to be, I think, several years ago, but due to elitism and flaming was closed. The official one now is a sub-board on LinuxQuestions.org. I've found the people there pretty helpful tbh and all the questions I've asked have been answered ^_^.
      Though there is a bigger Ubuntu community than Slackware...
      EMZ=]
      Thanks for your answer. I'll take a look into Slackware.

ReputationRep:
      I've experimented with using Ubuntu a few times and I really like it. However, I tend to get annoyed with it for one reason or another due to a weird bug or some form of incompatibility. In particular I don't like the look of the fonts. In the end I just uninstall it and go back to Windows.

Since getting a Mac Mini I've not bothered to install Ubuntu again as I think that the advantages of Ubuntu Linux are shared and, in some cases, improved upon, by Mac OS. But I might install Ubuntu on my Windows laptop at some point to see how things have improved in the past year or so.

Thanks, but well, my problem is that
        (Original post by Steph90)
        Its easy to reset your Windows password with a bootable disk. I've forgot what its called - search google. Unless you were joking :tongue:
        Don't think I have my windows CD If there's another way, I'd love to know!

(Original post by blueray)
        What os have you got Saichu
        I just use ubuntu at the moment, nothing special.

ReputationRep:
        Thanks, but well, my problem is that Don't think I have my windows CD If there's another way, I'd love to know!

I just use ubuntu at the moment, nothing special.
        No its not a Windows CD.

Its another disk you have to burn, then boot from CD. It allows you to reset passwords (not acquire them).

Here is the tool: http://www.pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

If you need any extra help, let me know. But if you follow the guide (print it out because you will have no connection to the internet) you should be fine.

I've used this previously for a friend and managed to get it sorted for him.

No its not a Windows CD.

Its another disk you have to burn, then boot from CD. It allows you to reset passwords (not acquire them).

Here is the tool: http://www.pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

If you need any extra help, let me know. But if you follow the guide (print it out because you will have no connection to the internet) you should be fine.

I've used this previously for a friend and managed to get it sorted for him.
        wow people can hack with that :eek:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by blueray)
        wow people can hack with that :eek:
        No they can't really :tongue:

1) Not possible to do it remotely, local, physical access to the machine is required.
        2) Yes someone in your house/family could use it to get passed the password, but it would be obvious to you because your password would no longer work. So it will be obvious that an attack has occured.
        3) Yes - if it was stolen, robbers could use it to put it back in a workable condition to sell on or get personal/sensitive information. Thats why more security is always encouraged. A simple windows password is nothing for someone to get password with limited or no computer knowledge whatsoever.

No they can't really :tongue:

1) Not possible to do it remotely, local, physical access to the machine is required.
        2) Yes someone in your house/family could use it to get passed the password, but it would be obvious to you because your password would no longer work. So it will be obvious that an attack has occured.
        3) Yes - if it was stolen, robbers could use it to put it back in a workable condition to sell on or get personal/sensitive information. Thats why more security is always encouraged. A simple windows password is nothing for someone to get password with limited or no computer knowledge whatsoever.
        What other security can I use then? What sort of encryption/ software/ etc??

ReputationRep:
        Once someone has physical access to your machine, any kind of password or whatever is worthless unless the data you want to protect is covered by *strong* encryption.

A windows logon password takes all of about 10 seconds to reset and doesn't encrypt any data at all.
        It just gives people a false sense of security.

Edit:
        I'd recommend this live CD for password resets (and a long list of other things): http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/, it's what I usually use.
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        Thanks, but well, my problem is that Don't think I have my windows CD If there's another way, I'd love to know!.
        http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

download, burn and boot into the live CD of either OPHcrackXP or OPHcrackVISTA and it will find all windows passwords no problem

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by JGR)
        Once someone has physical access to your machine, any kind of password or whatever is worthless unless the data you want to protect is covered by *strong* encryption.

A windows logon password takes all of about 10 seconds to reset and doesn't encrypt any data at all.
        It just gives people a false sense of security.

Edit:
        I'd recommend this live CD for password resets (and a long list of other things): http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/, it's what I usually use.

(Original post by DayneD89)
        http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

download, burn and boot into the live CD of either OPHcrackXP or OPHcrackVISTA and it will find all windows passwords no problem
        Thanks to both of you for those. The one I suggested is a bit 'bare' to say the least
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        Thanks to both of you for those. The one I suggested is a bit 'bare' to say the least
        I just like oph because it gives you the passwords rather than resetting them. It's also a full linux live cd, so it can be used for repairing computers, which is usually why I dont have the password, because the person whose computer im trying to fix has forgotten theirs.

ReputationRep:
        I just like oph because it gives you the passwords rather than resetting them. It's also a full linux live cd, so it can be used for repairing computers, which is usually why I dont have the password, because the person whose computer im trying to fix has forgotten theirs.
        Does it take long to figure out the passwords?
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        Does it take long to figure out the passwords?
        about 10 min. 15 if you include boot. Not tested the vista one, but apparently its about the same.

ReputationRep:
        about 10 min. 15 if you include boot. Not tested the vista one, but apparently its about the same.
        Wow, that sounds quick.

I might read about this tomorrow. So you are saying the actual program takes 10mins to figure out the passwords from the hashs in the .SAM file?

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.