Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Daily Telegraph: Muslim population has grown from 1.65m to 2.87m in a decade Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    In practise there are lots of religious groupings represented there as well as Sunni Islam (e.g. Protestant Christianity, Catholic Christianity, Orthodoxy, Shia Islam, Vaishnavite Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Judaism etc.). There are official breakdowns by ethnicity of populations per London borough and per constituency, but not sure if there are breakdowns by religious affiliation. People could lie anyway, surely?
    What do you mean "In practice". Are you actually trying to deny their are Muslim majority communities scattered around Birmingham Manchester Bradford London and many more places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chengis)
    I would just like to point out that the vast majority of the Muslims who have emigrated to the UK are from either Afghanistan, Iraq, Lebannon/Palestine or Somalia.

[/B]
    Source please. I'm almost willing to bet Pakistan is the leader, and even Bangladesh would be ahead of some of the countries on your list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    What do you mean "In practice". Are you actually trying to deny their are Muslim majority communities scattered around Birmingham Manchester Bradford London and many more places.
    Are those of Islamic faith a 'minority-majority' or actually a majority in the sense that they constitute over 50% of the population in these constituencies? Obviously you might be able to select a street where there is a clear Islamic majority but in practice it is not as though there is de-factor religious apartheid in any of these London, Birmingham or Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see why it matters what religion these people are, as long as they are law abiding, peaceful citizens that contribute etc. etc.....they could all be pagan/wiccan/satanist for all I care

ReputationRep:
    Are those of Islamic faith a 'minority-majority' or actually a majority in the sense that they constitute over 50% of the population in these constituencies? Obviously you might be able to select a street where there is a clear Islamic majority but in practice it is not as though there is de-factor religious apartheid in any of these London, Birmingham or Manchester.
    Obviously Im not saying in London Birmingham or Manchester there is a Muslim majority. However in certain constituencies, and areas within some constituencies there will be large Muslim majority communities ( in an absolute majority sense not minority majority).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    Obviously Im not saying in London Birmingham or Manchester there is a Muslim majority. However in certain constituencies, and areas within some constituencies there will be large Muslim majority communities ( in an absolute majority sense not minority majority).
    Really? Which constituencies/boroughs? I'm fairly sure there are none which are applicable in London.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for God's sake, so WHAT if it's increased?!

By pointing this statistic out, WHAT is it trying to prove? The whole article is stupid really, it just shows that the world does change over a decade...DUH.

They might as well put up another article on how texting as become possible...over a decade :P

ReputationRep:
    Aren't economic prospects in Bradford fairly poor compared to London? So why would migration to Bradford exceed that to say, London?
    because it has a large pakistani community so naturally they gravitate towards their own. with bradford its mainly the birth rates which will make it a muslim city by 2016 i think i read, might have been wiki

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theorb21)
    I 'm happy... I'm the absolute opposite from nationalistic... I'd vote the transformation of Europe from continent to country, with each country turning into a state.

I don't believe in countries' boarders making any difference as to whether or not people should be allowed to live there... it doesn't really make any sense to me.

It's geographical and colour-based discrimination (okay maybe that's a bit too far).

I really can't see the problem, that the media and most people are implying.

Completely agree with you about the EU being a country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13)
    because it has a large pakistani community so naturally they gravitate towards their own. with bradford its mainly the birth rates which will make it a muslim city by 2016 i think i read, might have been wiki
    There's still a whole spectrum of religious adherence though - there will be a small minority of people who actually pray 5 times per day whilst facing Mecca, but most people won't do that and will only observe major festivals such as Eid Ul-Fitr.

But there are still Pakistanis in London, right? Surely they would move to wherever their economic/employment prospects are greater rather than being influenced by the specific demographics in the city they live?

ReputationRep:
    There's still a whole spectrum of religious adherence though - there will be a small minority of people who actually pray 5 times per day whilst facing Mecca, but most people won't do that and will only observe major festivals such as Eid Ul-Fitr.

But there are still Pakistanis in London, right? Surely they would move to wherever their economic/employment prospects are greater rather than being influenced by the specific demographics in the city they live?
    cities have much higher unemployment than towns in the countryside.

i was suprised when i saw that statistic too but it makes sense to me now

ReputationRep:
    cities have much higher unemployment than towns in the countryside.

i was suprised when i saw that statistic too but it makes sense to me now
    Maybe because this includes unemployed people who have relocated to cities to improve their chances of finding employment? Certainly when it comes to online job boards, the number of openings listed in London would probably easily exceed the number listed in 'Hertfordshire' or 'Buckinghamshire', though that may not be indicative of the actual full number of openings.

But in the case of a Pakistani national (who is from outside the EU), they would need to prove that a company recruited them to offices in the UK on entry, no?

ReputationRep:
    no as in the immigrants all go to the cities not the countryside so that they can be in the company of eachother and near a local place of worship so now cities are becoming very hostile places
    But surely communities/ethnic groups in small towns in the countryside are going to be more insular, precisely because there are less people around and then the Muslim congregation of a mosque is limited to a smaller circle?

I'm speaking from my own experience - our Muslim community in my town vs. Muslims in London/Manchester etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piya21)
    But surely communities/ethnic groups in small towns in the countryside are going to be more insular, precisely because there are less people around and then the Muslim congregation of a mosque is limited to a smaller circle?

I'm speaking from my own experience - our Muslim community in my town vs. Muslims in London/Manchester etc.
    hmm dno, if you say put one muslim in a completely white christian town she'd be surrounded by christians in her street, in her school and in her workplace so shed be forced to interact with only christians who she might eventually find something in common with. its not nice to muslims for their community to be that small, but they shouldnt be too big either.

ReputationRep:
    newsflash- muslims are not aliens; they too are also people with very human values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    newsflash- muslims are not aliens; they too are also people with very human values.
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, how will such a small minority of people cause a big enough change that the Telegraph is getting their knickers in a twist over?? It's not as if people listen to radical muslims...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    Human values like 'murder the gays'.

As the comment two posts above me (from the Guardian, no less) points out, it's common in Islamic communities to hold values that most Westerners would feel are utterly barbaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Indeed.
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Human values like 'murder the gays'.

As the comment two posts above me (from the Guardian, no less) points out, it's common in Islamic communities to hold values that most Westerners would feel are utterly barbaric.
    i know i couldnt believe it was from Al-Guardian.

good work maggie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CullenLoverX)
    What do you base that assumption on?
    Just about every study on social mobility out there

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.