Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my French teacher's husband rejected an Oxford offer...that was a while ago though, and I think it was because, after applying and being interviewed for a joint subject, he was only offered a place for one of them as a single subject...so he rejected and went somewhere where he could do the joint degree he wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Emma Watson reject Trinity Cambridge for Brown ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Pretty sure they rejected her.
    Oh... :getmecoat:

Google will know the answer!

It's inconclusive :dontknow: There are loads of articles (really old ones obv) saying that she's accepted a place to study English/ philosophy/ whatever at Cambridge, or going to Yale or Harvard etc. The only articles we can be sure about are the ones saying she's at Brown. I guess we'll never know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Oh... :getmecoat:

Google will know the answer!

It's inconclusive :dontknow: There are loads of articles (really old ones obv) saying that she's accepted a place to study English/ philosophy/ whatever at Cambridge, or going to Yale or Harvard etc. The only articles we can be sure about are the ones saying she's at Brown. I guess we'll never know...
    Yeah, I searched afterwards - she must have accepted so many offers from Cambridge for English/philosophy! :lol: Plus Harvard, Yale, think I saw Colombia...

I think the only answer lies with her.

ReputationRep:
    Yup my mate did... Only to accept a full scholarship at Yale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juzjump)
    lad in my school rejected oxford as he got another offer from MIT in america, physics i think he did
    Couple years ago, my senior rejected Cambridge for Harvard. According to my lecturer, he had a lower conditional offer from Cam, that was the only lower conditional offer my country has ever had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ac132)
    Yup my mate did... Only to accept a full scholarship at Yale.

Strange. I thought Ivy Leagues didn't give scholarships of any kind ...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend rejected Cambridge Economics for LSE, he said he preferred being in the centre of London and having the industry links that LSE does.

A guy in my sixth form rejected cambridge medicine for UCL! Don't quite know why, I just remember all the teachers and head of year getting so excited about his offer and then they became disappointed in him when he picked UCL in the end :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Many people do, to go to LSE, or Imperial. Some more will do this year when they get accepted into UCL L101 Economics with a year in the USA.

(Original post by arianex)
      At the end of the day, prestige or not, people need to remember that Oxford and Cambridge are just universities; not some kind of Eden or Nirvana (imsoacademic and some other people might slaughter me now, but hey, that's the truth. ) And they have their flaws, too; it's not one-size-fits-all!
      Well, that's how my family and I saw it anyway - and no, we're not "posh" or privileged; just average, bitter-free middle-class Malaysians (where most of our country are like "OMG OXBRIDGEEEE--") I'm sure others here share my sentiments though...
      :rolleyes:

No really, I do acknowledge that Oxford and Cambridge are just universities, albeit two of the best Britain has to offer which no one can really deny.

ReputationRep:
      I know a few, from the top of my head a relative of mine rejected oxford for economics, to go to ucl. Another friend of mine rejected english at oxford for warwick.

ReputationRep:
      Yeah when I visited Warwick the English student who showed me around had turned down a Cambridge offer.

I sometimes think that turning down an Oxbridge offer speaks of great intellectual confidence: some people want the validation that the 'brand name' provides but some are so confident in their own intellectual ability that they don't need something so recognisable and can make their choices independently of what other people will think. The same goes for a lot of people who don't apply in the first place; there is an assumption that 'the brightest and best' end up at Oxbridge but those two universities don't appeal to everyone, and are not everyone's dream. You could have the most brilliant mind of your generation but if you don't fancy spending your university years in a small provincial English city living under a collegiate system, why pick Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
      My friend said that her brother rejected an offer from Oxford to do Chemistry and chose Manchester, it's understandable though ; he wanted to stay at home so he didn't have to pay accommodation fees.

(Original post by TheHeart)
        My friend said that her brother rejected an offer from Oxford to do Chemistry and chose Manchester, it's understandable though ; he wanted to stay at home so he didn't have to pay accommodation fees.
        Oxbridge have some of the most generous bursaries going around? :lolwut: In addition, terms are shorter so he has a lot of free time to work and earn money.

Tbf, his loss.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)
        Oxbridge have some of the most generous bursaries going around? :lolwut: In addition, terms are shorter so he has a lot of free time to work and earn money.

Tbf, his loss.
        Doesn't get you time with family though, does it?

ReputationRep:
        well.. I'm actually considering to do so, not sure whether I'll end up rejecting the offer yet...

see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1500171

Doesn't get you time with family though, does it?
          University is a time for independence and freedom? There's always time with the family in the holidays? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by im so academic)
          University is a time for independence and freedom? There's always time with the family in the holidays? :dontknow:
          But some people actually like their families and enjoy spending lots of time with them, not just a couple weeks every few months.

ReputationRep:
          I rejected em both, *****es aint got nothin on me.

But some people actually like their families and enjoy spending lots of time with them, not just a couple weeks every few months.
            Well it begs the question why did that person apply to Oxford in the first place?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          Useful resources
          Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.