Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Explaining asexuality to sexuals Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaranthus)
    Exchange 'bad' for 'weird' or 'odd' and you're probably closer But yes, it is a shame.

Yeah, Edd, I regularly partake in a little binary fission :P

Asexuality - NOT EQUAL TO - Asexual Reproduction
    Ahaha, nice answer, ah yes I remember learning about binary fission at A level now and how humans cannot do it. Please excuse me http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/blow.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
    Fancying someone to me always implied being sexually attracted to them, the idea of fancying someone in just a romantic way is completely bizarre. I guess being a sex-mad guy I just won't understand
    I don't get it either. I remember a conversation with a university housemate about this. She said "Just because I fancy him, it doesn't mean I want to have sex with him", which really confused me and one of my other housemates (male). To me fancying someone means I also want to have sex with them. I can want to have sex with someone without fancying them, but it doesn't work the other way round.

I guess we just have to accept that asexuals can feel a similar thing but without the urge to have sex with that person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I don't get it either. I remember a conversation with a university housemate about this. She said "Just because I fancy him, it doesn't mean I want to have sex with him", which really confused me and one of my other housemates (male). To me fancying someone means I also want to have sex with them. I can want to have sex with someone without fancying them, but it doesn't work the other way round.

I guess we just have to accept that asexuals can feel a similar thing but without the urge to have sex with that person.
    Do you mean literal sexual intercourse or any kind of sexual act? Cos I think it's important that sexual intercourse is very different for women than for men, and a lot of women don't particularly like sex- not because they're abnormal, but because sex isn't particularly geared towards female pleasure. So it makes sense to me that a lot of women wouldn't necessarily want to have sex with someone they fancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Do you mean literal sexual intercourse or any kind of sexual act? Cos I think it's important that sexual intercourse is very different for women than for men, and a lot of women don't particularly like sex- not because they're abnormal, but because sex isn't particularly geared towards female pleasure. So it makes sense to me that a lot of women wouldn't necessarily want to have sex with someone they fancy.
    Well she enjoyed having sex with other people, so I'm guessing that wasn't what she meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well she enjoyed having sex with other people, so I'm guessing that wasn't what she meant.
    I was more referring to you saying you didn't 'get it' that people could fancy someone without wanting to have sex with them, rather than to the specific reference you made.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not asexual but I do understand the concept of fancying people without wanting to have sex with them. :p:
    I thought I was asexual for a while. I wasn't in the end, but anyway, I understand what it is. It also vexes me when people talk about asexuality as if it's some kind of defect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    I was more referring to you saying you didn't 'get it' that people could fancy someone without wanting to have sex with them, rather than to the specific reference you made.
    Well I suppose that makes sense.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.