The Student Room Group

Are all ex-polys seen as bad on here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ACAC
Not at all. I looked into doing QS so i know a fair amount about it. It's only in the name. For example My course at Kingston is Real Estate Management, at Reading its just Real Estate and at Cambridge it's called land economy. But they are all exactly the same.

Thinking out loud here, QSC at Kingston gives you the added advantage as it allows you to become much more than a QS. You can become a construction "consultant". Basically it means you'll have greater business/economic knowledge which is extremely useful as a QS due to the fact that you can advise firms weather or not a project is, "economically viable".

Hope that helps?

Yeah that helps.

I'll have to look into the course a bit more.

Thanks.
Original post by de_monies
I don't know about other courses at Sheffield Hallam, however I do know about my course. Hallam has links to the Cisco academy in Sheffield, so their teaching of networking is bound to be quite good. Our college also has good links with the regional Cisco academy as well(in fact the Cisco academy now shows the college's name instead)

I find it fascinating how the likes of English, psychology or any other boring degree students feel its their job to look down on technical degrees which IMO are worth more than a few psychologists in the economy.

I said this to one girl who I worked with and she went to Sheffield, "so you'd look down on the building surveyors, Architect technologists, quantity surveyors and project managers who go to Hallam?".

She didn't have any comeback whatsoever because like everybody with similar views to her, she knows fuk all about the real world and when it comes knocking they usually regret it.

She gave me a right dirty look when I mentioned going to Hallam as well, stuck up little **** tbh. lol
Well the Stafford uni isn't heard of as much. People ask me where it actually is!
Reply 123
Original post by Mythic Madness
I'm just wondering because I see a lot of posts about maybe London Met or TVU being really bad universities and some strong arguments to suggest this but the course I want to do (Quantity Surveying) for my chosen career (Quantity Surveyor) is only done at ex-polys. So really I have no choice if I want to be a QS about going to ex-polys but a few people in my school have looked down on me for this. So basically are all ex-polys viewed as equally bad? The three universities that interest me the most are Leeds Met, Sheffield Hallam and Salford. :smile:

Reading do quantity surveying and that's not an ex-poly, it's redbrick.
Plymouth is fantastic for engineering. So no
Original post by Stenner

Yeah, three universities that never used to be ex-poly's do Quantity Surveying. I was meant to write the majority.
Some just aren't put together all that well tbh.
Original post by Stenner

Maybe it's better than in other universities? League tables are a good indicator of the good uni's however some course will be better at x university at level 80, compared to a uni at level 15
Reply 128
I think ex-polys are considered worse on TSR than they are in real life, tbh.

I go to an ex-poly, Kingston, actually, and study something that most people bashing ex-polys would consider pretty Mickey Mouse-y. On top of that, I work at Topshop and intern at a magazine. All relevant to my studies, but not exactly academic.
My boyfriend studies law at QMUL and as a result I've spent a lot of time around people from there - never heard a bad word about Kingston or ex-polys.
Most people don't judge you by what unis you go to, especially not if you are driven and go a bit beyond what is required from you. And frankly, people who DO judge you based on that are not really worth the time or effort. :smile:
Reply 129
heyy, im off to Kingston to study Building Surveying :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending