13inch or 15inch macbook pro Watch

torchwood
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i have a 13 inch first gen aluminium macbook and i can use it fine for 5-6 hours, if i was getting another macbook i would probably go for the 13 inch with the i7 processor, the only problem i can see is the shared graphics whereas the 15 inch has dedicated graphics
woody543
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okay, so screen real estate aside (I'm more than happy to use external monitors, and would be with either model) what are the benefits of the extra cores and the dedicated graphics card?

I'm going to uni to study film production in September, and so hopefully will get a mac book pro. I just don't know which model to purchase/ save up for. (Obviously the 15" will take me a lot longer to save up for.)
Mazty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by winter_mute)
Why the hell are you asking the same question over and over. I'm assuming you have allusions to be a game designer/developer one day. I have friends who work in (and I've visited) Microsoft in Cambridge, Rebellion in Oxford and Lionhead. Guess what? They all use a blend of Macs and PC. You bang on about 3Ds, but how's Maya doing for Mac? Very well. Go to the sound design department, how many guys there use PC? Unless they themselves want it, it'll almost always be Apple computers.

You make very little sense in all of your posts, and quite clearly have no actual industry knowledge of what you're talking about. Go out and actually work and then we'll talk. (That's if there are any game studios left in this country by then)
Oh dear. Your pros have all disappeared and now you are going off on a tangent.
Saying "Derp dey all use Macs" doesn't mean Macs are the best for the job, does it? It's just a left over trend from the 90's where Windows sucked.
How is Maya doing on Macs? Not as well as on PC, thanks to PC hardware being superior.

You are still arguing about a server, so do you admit Macbooks and iMacs are a waste of time unless you are using unix or are completely PC illiterate?
So instead of trying to say "UVE LIKE NO NOWLEDGE OF DER INSUTRY" how about you rejoin the argument and tell me why someone would pick a Mac over a PC for something other than Unix.
Mazty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fallen)
Oh just shush.
If you are generalising every since Mac user because of one person, regardless of whatever they could possibly have said, you are a moron. Simple as.

And if you are about to call me an "Apple fanboy retard" or whatever immature thing was about to shoot out your ignorant mouth, you can save it. I am a PC user because I can build them myself cheaper.
That said, Macbooks are very sensibly priced for their specs, general quality (Colour Gamut!), etc. if you don't pick any addons. Do the upgrading yourself, and they are just as cheap as any well-build PC. If you doubt that then you are simply wrong.
Stop embarrassing PC users, Western civilisation, and humanity in general.
So your argument is "DUNT CALL ME FANBOY!!!" even though I have not...
Wow. What an argument :rofl:
Simply wrong? Well, let's compare prices between a 15" Macbook Pro and it's price equivalent:
Macbook Pro 15"

• 2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
  • 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
  • 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
  • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
  • Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)

Total = £1,549.00

Ultima SB - i7P 15.6"

• The latest 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7 HRV I7-2630QM 2.0 - 2.9GHz (Turbo boost), 3mb cache
  • Genuine Windows 7™ Home Premium Edition-NB
  • Intel HM67 Sandy bridge Chipset
  • 15.6" FHD LED (1920 x 1080) 16:9 Widescreen Super Glossy Display
  • 1.5GB High-end NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 460M discrete graphics card
  • 8GB DDR3-1333MHz Dual Channel Memory
  • 1TB (2 x 500GB 7200rpm in Raid 0) Serial ATA Fast 2.5" Notebook Hard Drive
  • Super Format Dual Layer DVD Re-Writer
  • Integrated Intel® Wireless-N 1000 802.11 b/g/n 1x2 MIMO
  • Integrated Bluetooth V2.1 + EDR Technology
  • Sound by Dynaudio, THX TruStudio Pro Provides Excellent Surround Sound Effect,
  • Integrated HD Webcam
  • Integrated Genuine 720p High-Definition (HD) Video Quality Up To 30fps
  • Exclusive TDE (Turbo Drive Engine) Technology For Accelerated CPU Performance
  • Multi Format Memory Card Reader
  • USB 3.0 output, Latest & fastest Data Transfer Technology
  • HDMI Output (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)-1080P Supported, eSATA Port
  • Two Years Worldwide Parts & Labour warranty (Collection & Return in UK & Ireland)

Total = £1,399.00
So cheaper and better, by a lot, in every single way.
So how is a Mac better?

The only embarrassment here is you as you are wallowing in complete ignorance.
MrMagicMushroom
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The newest 13" MBP's don't have a dedicated GPU, so for anything gaming its going to struggle a lot more than the 15" MBP. If you don't do anything graphically demanding the 13" is going to be more practical and more of a joy to carry around. Coming from a Windows laptop and once you get around OSX, you'll enjoy both regardless.
Jimbo1234
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Will you be using Terminal?
Are you going to utilise the Unix architecture?

Unless you answer 'YES' to both then I would recommend to buy any other laptop and use the spare money to buy a massive warranty and some extra software.

(Original post by MrMagicMushroom)
The newest 13" MBP's don't have a dedicated GPU, so for anything gaming its going to struggle a lot more than the 15" MBP. If you don't do anything graphically demanding the 13" is going to be more practical and more of a joy to carry around. Coming from a Windows laptop and once you get around OSX, you'll enjoy both regardless.
Why would you even try to game on a Mac?! :confused:
Llamageddon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
just move your eyes closer to the smaller one and spend the money saved on something nice
Deema
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by catsss)
If you're a gamer I wouldn't recommend getting a Mac. You can't play most newly released games on it.
Yeah I guess so, but he plays online games which it is definitely better for
MrMagicMushroom
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jimbo1234)
Will you be using Terminal?
Are you going to utilise the Unix architecture?

Unless you answer 'YES' to both then I would recommend to buy any other laptop and use the spare money to buy a massive warranty and some extra software.

Why would you even try to game on a Mac?! :confused:
Steam for Mac gets more games each days. Sure you buy a PC for gaming, but having a very good all round laptop its nice to wind down with a bit of gaming, it runs about half the speed it would in windows and if you really want, you can partition a bit of your HDD to run Windows, best of both worlds.
dealoftheday
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
15" I think looks better and more proportion size wise than the 13". The 13" looks like a toy i wouldnt wna pay so much only to buy something that looks like a toy
Jimbo1234
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Steam for Mac gets more games each days. Sure you buy a PC for gaming, but having a very good all round laptop its nice to wind down with a bit of gaming, it runs about half the speed it would in windows and if you really want, you can partition a bit of your HDD to run Windows, best of both worlds.
But Mac drivers means games run slower and Macs have always supplied very poor gpu's for their price begging the question why did you buy a Mac in the first place when a laptop would be cheaper or have better performance. As I stated before, unless you are using it for programming you are wasting your money.
DesignFreak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a 13'' Macbook Pro and it's fine for just general web browsing, but i can't do any proper work on it. I personally need a bigger screen size, all my design work is done on my 20" iMac.
MrMagicMushroom
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jimbo1234)
But Mac drivers means games run slower and Macs have always supplied very poor gpu's for their price begging the question why did you buy a Mac in the first place when a laptop would be cheaper or have better performance. As I stated before, unless you are using it for programming you are wasting your money.
I bought a Mac because 90% of Windows laptops may be better spec wise, but its like a competition to see who can make the cheapest most unreliable laptop. I bought a Mac for my course because of the software I was using, and to be honest Macs are far more productive when it comes to any design/editing work, and as a plus I got a slick OS and consistently good build quality all around, instead of just having a great GPU and crap keyboard/trackpad like a Windows laptop would. Macs are more consistent in that aspect.
DesignFreak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
, instead of just having a great GPU and crap keyboard/trackpad like a Windows laptop would. Macs are more consistent in that aspect.
One of the things i value most about my macbook is the trackpad, nothing compares to it. xD
MrMagicMushroom
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DesignFreak)
One of the things i value most about my macbook is it's trackpad, nothing compares to it. xD
Damn straight, always hated trackpads and would always use a mouse instead. On Mac however, anything that isn't a game or editing I would adore how smooth scrolling is.
Jimbo1234
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I bought a Mac because 90% of Windows laptops may be better spec wise, but its like a competition to see who can make the cheapest most unreliable laptop. I bought a Mac for my course because of the software I was using, and to be honest Macs are far more productive when it comes to any design/editing work, and as a plus I got a slick OS and consistently good build quality all around, instead of just having a great GPU and crap keyboard/trackpad like a Windows laptop would. Macs are more consistent in that aspect.
The build quality of a Mac is far better, however if you shop about you can find good laptops. The only issue laptops have are the short lifespans however this is normally because more people misuse laptops and use them for longer periods eg gaming etc.

What software are you using because surely that is down to the proc. and the memory rather then the OS?
Martial44
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by woody543)
Okay, so screen real estate aside (I'm more than happy to use external monitors, and would be with either model) what are the benefits of the extra cores and the dedicated graphics card?

I'm going to uni to study film production in September, and so hopefully will get a mac book pro. I just don't know which model to purchase/ save up for. (Obviously the 15" will take me a lot longer to save up for.)
Well with the 13" pro you cannot really run any graphic intensive games, but then that might not be an issue for you, personally I don't think MacBooks are designed for gaming anyway.

I think there are some performance gains from having a dedicated graphics card rather than a shared integrated one. I sometimes (very rarely though) get some chopping in video when there is a couple of programs up etc (have the 13" MBP 2010), in your case editing high definition footage might require a dedicated card. Personally I think you should get the 15" as film editing would require screen real estate and a decent graphics card.

Would you consider an iMac? they are well spec'ed and start at £1,020 which is around the same price as the 13" MBP, obviously its not portable though.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm afraid you've been misled. I just checked with my old boss (he's the head genius for Europe) and he's never heard of that. Did you buy it during the "Back to school" promo?
If you buy from the online education store for your university, you get a free 3 year warranty. Its not quite apple care, but its near enough (all that is missing is the telephone support and the pick up from your house).

Its in the T&C's for buying from the online educational store if you don't believe me.
winter_mute
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
If you buy from the online education store for your university, you get a free 3 year warranty. Its not quite apple care, but its near enough (all that is missing is the telephone support and the pick up from your house).

Its in the T&C's for buying from the online educational store if you don't believe me.
Looked through it and couldn't see it. Could you link me?
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Looked through it and couldn't see it. Could you link me?
Yep.
http://storeimages.apple.com/1464/st....html#topic-10

Specifically point 10.1.1 which is:
All Apple-branded desktop and portable computer products sold after October 1st 2005 within the framework of the HE National Agreement shall be subject to a 36 calendar month warranty period (the “HE National Agreement Warranty”) commencing from the date of delivery.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (166)
18.57%
No (543)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (185)
20.69%

Watched Threads