Jokes about the Japan Tsunami? :( Watch

insanetothebrain
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dean01234)
some are quite funny though...

"Me and my mate were rating girls out of 10. He didn't look too impressed when I gave the Japanese girl an 8.9"

ahaha lol sick geeza
wqliu90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hylean)
Only if you assume only the Japanese are affected, which isn't the case.

Besides, I've no idea if the Japanese even tell jokes, that kind of humour might not be part of their culture. As I've said elsewhere in the thread, I am sure they are using humour somehow, though.
From what I have so far, what you are essentially saying is this: You may joke about Japan only if you are not Japanese, and have a friend/relative affected by the disaster, thus helping you cope with the situation. And if you are Japanese, you don't joke, since it's not part of your culture.

If you could prove that the Japs are coming up with jokes about themselves to help them with the situation, it would help greatly in your argument.
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by wqliu90)
From what I have so far, what you are essentially saying is this: You may joke about Japan only if you are not Japanese, and have a friend/relative affected by the disaster, thus helping you cope with the situation. And if you are Japanese, you don't joke, since it's not part of your culture.

If you could prove that the Japs are coming up with jokes about themselves to help them with the situation, it would help greatly in your argument.
Wow, you have rather effectively proved to me you cannot read.

Not once have I stated that you may joke about Japan if you are not Japanese; not once have I stated that you have to have lost someone in the disaster to have been affected by it; not once have I stated that the Japanese don't joke.

What I have stated is this: research, a rather large amount of it, shows that people use humour, and usually jokes in English speaking societies, to deal with bad situations; that people can be affected by the disaster without losing anyone because the large media coverage makes sure people all over the globe are affected by it on some level; that I have no idea whether jokes are part of the Japanese culture but I am sure they are using humour to cope with the situation.

I'm doing arguing with people who can't understand English or cannot stomach the fact that people in our society tell sick jokes because it's a coping mechanism. If you want to debate it more, go read Freud on jokes; read Elliot Olring or Alan Dundes. That should get you started.
wqliu90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow, you have rather effectively proved to me you cannot read.

Not once have I stated that you may joke about Japan if you are not Japanese; not once have I stated that you have to have lost someone in the disaster to have been affected by it; not once have I stated that the Japanese don't joke.

What I have stated is this: research, a rather large amount of it, shows that people use humour, and usually jokes in English speaking societies, to deal with bad situations; that people can be affected by the disaster without losing anyone because the large media coverage makes sure people all over the globe are affected by it on some level; that I have no idea whether jokes are part of the Japanese culture but I am sure they are using humour to cope with the situation.

I'm doing arguing with people who can't understand English or cannot stomach the fact that people in our society tell sick jokes because it's a coping mechanism. If you want to debate it more, go read Freud on jokes; read Elliot Olring or Alan Dundes. That should get you started.
Do suggest an example of how Japan could use humour to cope with their situation.?
And just as I do not attack you, but only your arguments, please refrain from insults such as "you have effectively proved to me that you cannot read". Everyone sees you spent 4 years (or is it 8?) studying Icelandic. No one's going to insult you for that. Unless of course, we make a joke out of it to help us "cope with the situation"
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sushidelight)
Grow a thicker skin.
I don't think people should laugh at others' suffering. If that makes me wrong, or not with it or not understanding of people, so be it. I can't help it if I am empathetic.
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by wqliu90)
Do suggest an example of how Japan could use humour to cope with their situation.?
And just as I do not attack you, but only your arguments, please refrain from insults such as "you have effectively proved to me that you cannot read". Everyone sees you spent 4 years (or is it 8?) studying Icelandic. No one's going to insult you for that. Unless of course, we make a joke out of it to help us "cope with the situation"
You haven't attacked a single one of my arguments. Your little summary of them couldn't even get a single one right. I fail to see how you can even begin to think you've attacked my arguments when you can't summarise them. I'll stick with my statement, you've proven to me you can't read.

As for your question, given that I've no idea what kind of humour Japan uses, I cannot suggest anything. Humour is decided by your culture and so anything I would suggest would be dictated by my own culture and thus wouldn't work.

I get regularly insulted for my choice of BA, so you're wrong there too.

Everyone, including yourself, who argues against this point of view is doing so on a gut reaction based on how you feel about the jokes. There's no logic other than the "oh my god, that joke is disgusting" kind, which really isn't a solid basis for any argument. Like I said, go read Freud, Olring or Dundes, I'm done with you.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've not noticed any jokes about Japan. That's kinda sick tbh. The only statuses I've seen are 'praying for Japan' or 'my relatives are safe in Japan'.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lily Academia)
And yet also the kind of person who is racist, sexist, crude, and who will most likely end up in prison.
I thought inhumanity was the human condition, as per your own words? If people are racist, it's their own business.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You haven't attacked a single one of my arguments. Your little summary of them couldn't even get a single one right. I fail to see how you can even begin to think you've attacked my arguments when you can't summarise them. I'll stick with my statement, you've proven to me you can't read.

As for your question, given that I've no idea what kind of humour Japan uses, I cannot suggest anything. Humour is decided by your culture and so anything I would suggest would be dictated by my own culture and thus wouldn't work.

Everyone, including yourself, who argues against this point of view is doing so on a gut reaction based on how you feel about the jokes. There's no logic other than the "oh my god, that joke is disgusting" kind, which really isn't a solid basis for any argument. Like I said, go read Freud, Olring or Dundes, I'm done with you.
The fact that humour and coping skills are relative is by the by. I don't get people feeling offended at jokes of the disaster gets to you so much. Maybe these people think that suffering shouldn't be laughed at? or are more naturally empathetic? Or (shock horror) hold different morals than you (of course, the fact that human beings are different is groundbreaking in itself, no?) Does anything not meeting your own prescription of life offend you?
wqliu90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Just because someone else insults you, does it give you the right to insult another? Okay, lets talk about this joke: "Which game does Japan hate the most?" "Quake". Is there a situation in which this joke would help anyone cope with the disaster?

I am coming from a gut reaction, and that's why I'm trying so hard to see your point - from a logical argument. I agree with you regarding dead baby jokes, or perhaps jokes regarding tragedies from the past. But it's trickier when it comes down to something so recent.
NeonSkies
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bonefish)
But it's not about "punishment" or "getting people back", even if the two atomic bombs hadn't been dropped you can't say tens of thousands of innocent people deserved this cos of something that happened 50 years ago! Why do people feel the need to link this to the war?
A terrible tragedy happens anywhere in the world and our thoughts go out to them whatever happened in the past!
Yeah, exactly, people always seem to think everything is related to war somehow that's why it annoys me how they say it's getting revenge for what happened during WWII, when it was a natural disaster - far from anything to do with war! I was just saying how if people are to relate things like this to war, they should remember the atrocities with the atomic bombs which people seem to skim over because it doesn't fit in with their argument.
~Kat~
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You've obviously never been on Sickipedia.
All of the other people on this thread obviously have.
whiplash
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ~Kat~)
You've obviously never been on Sickipedia.
All of the other people on this thread obviously have.
Good girl.
04ghicks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How do you spot a japanese prostitute?

She's the one in the fishnets.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have heard some the japanese jokes, it happens we do it, some of them are funny in thier own way. I have no real issue with it, yes its insesetive but so's Fankie Boyle and people adore his humour.

What i dont like are the nutters going "they deserve this, this is gods judgement, this is revenge for Pearl Harbour" those people are revolting and truer inditement to the viciousness of man than a joke
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by silverbolt)
I have heard some the japanese jokes, it happens we do it, some of them are funny in thier own way. I have no real issue with it, yes its insesetive but so's Fankie Boyle and people adore his humour.

PC *******s. I have an issue with it.
What i dont like are the nutters going "they deserve this, this is gods judgement, this is revenge for Pearl Harbour" those people are revolting and truer inditement to the viciousness of man than a joke
So? People have free speech, dope.
The Patriot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rajandkwameali)
PC *******s. I have an issue with it.

So? People have free speech, dope.
Free speech is vastly different to inciting hatred and enjoying/advocating the plight of others.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by S129439)
Free speech is vastly different to inciting hatred and enjoying/advocating the plight of others.
lol... ****. The reality of UK society is as such. Get over it, people won't stop speaking freely simply because you dislike it. I dislike a lot of things, healthy people get over them.
The Patriot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rajandkwameali)
lol... ****. The reality of UK society is as such. Get over it, people won't stop speaking freely simply because you dislike it. I dislike a lot of things, healthy people get over them.
I'm a ****? Really? You're going to insult me instead of use a logical argument? That's either because you are an arrogant fool or incapable. Either way you should be embarrassed. I feel sorry for you.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People are allowed to say what they want. Such is life.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.6%
No (440)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.8%

Watched Threads