Report 7 years ago
Cocky, rude, spoilt and arrogant!!!!
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Boom.Squish)
Thanks for replying! UCL is one of the ones I'm seriously thinking about, though this, and other accounts, has put me off a bit. The course seemed quite balanced on the website but I guess that can be misleading. I like grammar well enough but I'm a lot more interested in other aspects of the subject, as in history, literature etc. Out of interest, what year are you in and what languages are you studying? Thanks
I'm a UCL linguistics finalist, and I'll say now that the focus here is more on the nuts and bolts of language, not so much about the historical development and there is no literature at all. To be honest, that's more like what UCL English students do. It sounds like Oxford might be more up your street...or virtually any other linguistics department! UCL is quite unusual in terms of its technical angle, which is the reason I chose it, but some people don't research what they're getting into so well. They often end up hating it as a result... Not to be depressive about it, but I don't want you to be in that boat!
Lamptastic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say Art students party harder than medics, and are more fun.

So more laid back, less tension in the air. These are just my experiences though of course.
OddThings
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Foreign language students?
Aarroonnn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Fashion
imallenandimovery
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LOL I love this thread! Here's my attempt at stereotyping (sorry, TELLING THE TRUTH) about students:

Law
(i) Uppity, upper-middle class know it alls that think going to EVERY Law-Soc event will get them a training contract. Often very deluded about how the career process works, they thrive off applying for absolutely EVERY position available within the law society sub groups despite having to ask what an 'LPC' is. They are like flies on **** - any opportunity, they will take it.

(ii) Miss Human Rights and Mr Save the World - these types are the most insincere people you will ever meet and often Trotsky apologists. They will kick up a fuss about minor civil liberty infringements like the student protests, and arse lick the lecturers.

(iii) Workaholic, law obsessed robots - these types have absolutely NO friends who do not study law, their entire social group is made up of law students, they find pop culture 'irritating' and anything that's not law 'dull.' They are unable to function on a social level with anyone who does not study law because they 'can't relate' and can't talk about law related issues. Seriously, I went to a party once where they played 'who am I' based on legal figures...weird...
These types will work through the weekend, often in groups or online study groups, and look down on anyone not studying law as 'slackers.'

Philosophy
Slackers, incredibly lazy, not very career focused. Don't particularly see them as intelligent either for picking such a ridiculous course.

Economics
Motivated, career driven like the law types (see above). Far too many daddy's boys though.

Modern Languages

Mainly female or gay male, these types are usually quite pretentious, quite rah and fairly limited as to what they can talk about in a debate. Usually very charming people who are 'wise' because they travelled Latin Americahhh during their year out. Probably got average A Levels. Usually not sure what career they want but would be happy to settle on teaching.

History
Clever, actually interested in issues and quite interesting to talk to. Unfortunately not really sure where their careers are going sometimes.

Medicine
Middle class usually. Had great helping hands from mummy and daddy getting work experience. Usually stick together and think they're superior to every other degree course, which let's face it, is pretty true.

Arts
Slackers. Not intellectual, hard to engage with if you're after political debate/good conversation.

Politics
Usually quite easy to beat in a debate. Chose politics because they thought it'd get them a career - NOPE! You get into politics at grass roots level - heck, many MPs never went to university at all. Often spent a disproportionate amount of time drinking at the student union bar.

Business studies/management
My immediate thoughts on these students is that they are not academically gifted...
imallenandimovery
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rose-)
Geography students?
A bit dim... sorry... that's just the impression I have of them at my university.
DrunkenMaster
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by imallenandimovery)
LOL I love this thread! Here's my attempt at stereotyping (sorry, TELLING THE TRUTH) about students:

History
Clever, actually interested in issues and quite interesting to talk to. Unfortunately not really sure where their careers are going sometimes.

I do history and sociology. The comment about history students is kind of true hahaha. In regards to sociology, I bet most people either think of Rik from the Young Ones or Louise from Two Pints of Lager....
mooniibuggy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
pharmacy?
Lill-Veronica
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by volcanic)
funny to hear what the stereotypes of art students are
Here's a site solely dedicated to the art student stereotypes: **** Yeah Arts Student Owl
Aesc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aeschylus)
CAVEAT: THIS IS MERELY MY OWN OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE SEEN AS DEFINITIVE

Philosophy students: To a man/woman, stoners. Goes with the territory

Classics: Eccentric, like to drink a lot, wear funny trousers (this is based on one classicist)
A few people do philosophy and ethics at my school and it would seem that even a little exposure is enough to make that happen...

I went on a Classics summer school and one of the mentors was exactly like that: he wore bright blue trousers, left the leaving ceremony earlier to go the pub because he was getting withdrawal symptoms and on the first night gave his room number and said "if you want me come and get me" in a very strange way
AKA_Katie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can always tell when the English students have been using the bio lecture theatres because they are all dressed quite bohemian or indie. They also sort of 'drift' through the corridors. Great for an intelligent debate on pretty much any topic under the sun if your brain's in gear enough for it though.
Art history girls always look flawless and fashionably dressed too.
(then again, they probably think all us biologists/biochemists dress like slobs, jeans and t-shirt or hoody and leggings are standard)
In my experience most people who do a 'traditional' degree with 'environmental' tacked on the front went in through clearing (e.g. environmental economics), although this is no insult, I'm sure people do it out of interest too.
Vicky94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Life Science students e.g biomed ???
Chantal1991
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Teaching/Education students?
Irrelevance
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mooniibuggy)
pharmacy?
Assumed you're Indian and have aspirations to be a 'shopkeeper'.
mooniibuggy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Irrelevance)
Assumed you're Indian and have aspirations to be a 'shopkeeper'.
I don't fit that stereotype :eek:
Piprod01
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by imallenandimovery)
Philosophy
Slackers, incredibly lazy, not very career focused. Don't particularly see them as intelligent either for picking such a ridiculous course.
I find that many of the people who dismiss philosophy, like you do, by calling it "a ridiculous course" haven't actually experienced any of the interesting topics within it. I had the same view, then I actually got to become more familiar with what philosophers actually argue about and I changed my opinion on it.

I'm currently reading "The Mind's I" by Dan Dennett, it's about the mind and conciousness. It's really cool, and interesting stuff!
Ash S
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh dear I just read through the entire thread lol

What about east asian language students in particular like Chinese, Korean, Japanese?

I love the kinda "my east asian language is better than yours!" rivalry you get between them
headbands,
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Geography students?
tdkr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i'm a prospective law student come september and these views of law students being 'snobby' etc are not all true
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads