Edexcel A2 Philosophy and Ethics, UNIT4: Implications Watch

lissshannon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bluemonster3)
For Ayer, my teacher helped me come up with an introduction and conclusion that can be applied to any of the extracts that come up so I am just looking at it and typing it up again. For the main part, I just done detailed notes on each of the paragraphs; looking at them and typing them up I sort of gave up trying to revise Westphal and Donovan so I am screwed if Ayer does not come up D:

By 9pm I will probably have given up. It might be even 10pm! but I have no will power so I doubt it :P
giving up now, if i dont know it now i never will. good luck
sarahlovesleon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
am i the only one who wants it to be westphal
Bluemonster3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dark lugia 2)
Could you give some tips on what to include in the introduction an conclusion please?
For the intro I talked about:
* Ayers involvement with the logical postivists (explain what it is and stuff).
* The verification principle (explain how it works) and give a definition of cognitive and non cognitive as well as synthetic and analytic as well as giving examples. Oh and how religious language fails the verification principle.
* Explained how Ayer refers to religious experience and how the argument is useless and how the whole piece Ayer says the propositions made about God in any situation cannot be cognitively verified and has no meaning.

They are really vague but try to ellaborate when it comes to the exam because that is what I am going to do :P I don't know why I said conclusion because I haven't got a conclusion o_o
Bluemonster3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sarahlovesleon)
I wouldn't mind it being Westphal because I have revised some of it but I would still be screwed if he came up :P
DJWright
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone know which article came up in the Januaray 2011 exam?
monkeyonthelake
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sarahlovesleon)
I think so.

* The verification principle (explain how it works) and give a definition of cognitive and non cognitive as well as synthetic and analytic as well as giving examples. Oh and how religious language fails the verification principle.
* Explained how Ayer refers to religious experience and how the argument is useless and how the whole piece Ayer says the propositions made about God in any situation cannot be cognitively verified and has no meaning.

They are really vague but try to ellaborate when it comes to the exam because that is what I am going to do :P
That is useful. Thanks.

(Original post by DJWright)
Some say Westphal. Others say the exam didn't even exist. Take your pick.
sfriday
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

They are really vague but try to ellaborate when it comes to the exam because that is what I am going to do :P I don't know why I said conclusion because I haven't got a conclusion o_o
oh man, i just wrote positive logicalists. i really am ready for this exam
sfriday
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DJWright)
mm there wasn't one? but donovan was last year. all past papers here http://intranet.wellingtoncollege.or...ications-paper
Dark lugia 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Thank you very much! Those are some very good triggers Those are some of my main points in my notes for religious language so I'm pleased I'm at least on the right track there.

Wow, I didnt realise how much easier Ayer can be than Donovan and Westphal.

I really hate Westphal's extract, though... this statement is meaningful and true
Spectrum~
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anybody got an idea of what ideas we could relate to the Westphal article? I'm seriously struggling with this one! Really really hoping for Ayer like most people here.
sarahlovesleon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my rs teacher said the order was

Westphal June 2009
Ayer January 2010 (it was a one-off exam in january, because there was a new specification in place for the following june, but they needed to include this so people could still re-sit if they did badly in 2009 westphal
Donovan June 2010

and she says there was no january exam. she is the head of religious studies and philosophy in my sixth form college, so i dont think shes wrong. hope that helps
sarahlovesleon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
also to clarify she said westphal was paragraphs 1-2 and donovan was paragraphs 1-2 aswell, cant remember what ayer was maybe paragraph 5 or something
sarahlovesleon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hold on ayer was 2008, surely if it went

ayer 2008
westphal 2009
ayer jan 2010
donovan 2010

then surely ayer is least likely? hes been twise?
Dark lugia 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You should just count the June exams. The past 3 June exams have been Ayer, Donovan and Westphal in that order, I think.
diamonddust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lissshannon)
i couldnt tell you who he was tbh, just he is clearly evil and wants me to suffer.
True lol

(Original post by gravitywontgetyouhigh)
how are you guys revising this? every time I even attempt to read one of the article, i loose concentration/care within 10 minutes! seriously loosing the world to live!!
I'm convinced this paper was conceived to get RS students to want to die.

(Original post by lissshannon)
ive made a list of key words that need to/i want to be in each essay. So for westphal: scholasticism, deism, hume/kant, deontology, schilemacher, hume, marx. and then memorising the key words. it worked really well for the developments, and the essays themselves make me want to cry :') however the AO2 section of westphal is lacking and i think if he comes up im just going to have to blag my way through :')
I don't even know what Westphal is SAYING! :rolleyes:

For Ayer, my teacher helped me come up with an introduction and conclusion that can be applied to any of the extracts that come up so I am just looking at it and typing it up again. For the main part, I just done detailed notes on each of the paragraphs; looking at them and typing them up I sort of gave up trying to revise Westphal and Donovan so I am screwed if Ayer does not come up D:

By 9pm I will probably have given up. It might be even 10pm! but I have no will power so I doubt it :P
I can't actually revise this. I'm trying but I sort of seriously want to hurl myself out of a window now! If Ayer doesn't come up... :cries:

I'm giving up in an hour. I don't know anything. :rolleyes:
Dark lugia 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by diamonddust)
I can't actually revise this. I'm trying but I sort of seriously want to hurl myself out of a window now! If Ayer doesn't come up... :cries:

I'm giving up in an hour. I don't know anything. :rolleyes:
If you think you can with the time left, going over this can help:

Religious Language for Ayer
Religious Experience for Donovan
Tidbits of the Teleological & Cosmological arguments for Westphal

I think Death & The Aftrlife can help with making links for Westphal but I havent read Westphal enough to know.
sfriday
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
PAH! just read 'the examiner does not want to make things difficult for you' er...they decided we should study Westphal?!? *****es!!
Bluemonster3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If Ayer doesn't come up, what will everyone do? D:
I will either ask to go to toilet so I can cry or walk out the exam and then cry then :P
Dark lugia 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Heads will roll!
diamonddust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Westphal-

Key theme

Development from philosophical theology to the emergence of philosophy of religion. Broadly speaking, the former is focused on 'God' while the latter is focused on religion.

Aim of philosophical theology is what can be established about the existence of God by means of human reason unaided by revelation.

Two types of philosophical theology:
Scholastic reason- faith, revelation and authority= harmonious and work together
Diesm- reason seperated from faith

Diesm= forerunner to modern philosophy of religion. Makes religion an ally of morality and has less interest in proving the existence of God.

Hume= suspicious of religion
Kant= tried to rescue deism and seek an alternative religion.
Argued that there is no knowledge of God via a priori reason but knowledge of God came from practical reason (moral argument, immortality and evil in human nature) Religion= aid but not necessary for moral life.

Implications for Westphal

1) if philosophy shifts its focus away from God and onto the human practice of religion, the implications woukd be...

* there might be less support for the existance of Gof, with less people willing to talk about God as a philosophical idea. The arguments for God would be ignored.

*the human experience of God might seem less credible; philosophical supporters of God (e.g Swineburne) would not be able to back up those who believe they have encountered God.

*Thinkers would be more focused on the role of religion in society

Hope this helps a bit
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads