Edexcel GCE Geography unit 4: Geographical Research Watch

lolly21
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JizzMan)
CULTURE PEOPLE, HEEELLPPP

Okay, can the hyperglobalisers/transformationlists/sceptics views be treated as a theory on culture? if not, WHAT OTHER THEORIES CAN I USE :confused:

for case studies, i've got westernisation, migration's effect, and music & movies as things that promote globalisation. i've heard that things against globalisation could be stuff like france and japan resisting it but i cant find any good stuff on that; IT WOULD BE SOO SICK IF SOMEONE COULD LINK ME SOME GOOD **** ON CULTURAL RESISTANCE

also, can i use amish people as a case study resisting globalisation?

Any help appreciated in these dire times. x
Yes.. hyperglobalisers etc can be used its strongly recommended that you do use them - if you can find other theorists, geographers, sociologists etc that have views on globalisation and culture then implement them too - the examiners will be impressed to see lots of research like that.
for france have a look at their 'culture exceptionelle' (cultural exception), how they have resisted the anglicisation of the french language, examples of french hegemony through the media (i.e. the number of radio stations that play french music), McDonalds in france - they haven't entirely resisted it (obviously) but they have tried to fight against it...have a look at J.L. Kincheloe's The Sign of The Burger

for Japan, if you have the edexcel endorsed textbook then there's a case study in there...if not, just mention how they found themselves on being a homogenous culture - they welcome outsiders, so long as they do not stay

and yes you could use the Amish - they are resisting the major effects of globalisation even within the USA, which is deemed to be the source country...

exemplification of research is key.. plus you HAVE to source your findings, otherwise its deemed plagiarism...so for example (Edexcel A2 Geography, Dunn et al, 2009)
JizzMan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lolly21)
Yes.. hyperglobalisers etc can be used its strongly recommended that you do use them - if you can find other theorists, geographers, sociologists etc that have views on globalisation and culture then implement them too - the examiners will be impressed to see lots of research like that.
for france have a look at their 'culture exceptionelle' (cultural exception), how they have resisted the anglicisation of the french language, examples of french hegemony through the media (i.e. the number of radio stations that play french music), McDonalds in france - they haven't entirely resisted it (obviously) but they have tried to fight against it...have a look at J.L. Kincheloe's The Sign of The Burger

for Japan, if you have the edexcel endorsed textbook then there's a case study in there...if not, just mention how they found themselves on being a homogenous culture - they welcome outsiders, so long as they do not stay

and yes you could use the Amish - they are resisting the major effects of globalisation even within the USA, which is deemed to be the source country...

exemplification of research is key.. plus you HAVE to source your findings, otherwise its deemed plagiarism...so for example (Edexcel A2 Geography, Dunn et al, 2009)
is there also a certain structure or something you're goin to use for the report? i was thinking introduction, methodology, case studies, conclusion. does that seem a bit too simple or is it good enough?

also, what the **** exactly do we have to write in methodology; is it literally you just talking about what websites and magazines you went through?
lolly21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
is there also a certain structure or something you're goin to use for the report? i was thinking introduction, methodology, case studies, conclusion. does that seem a bit too simple or is it good enough?

also, what the **** exactly do we have to write in methodology; is it literally you just talking about what websites and magazines you went through?
yeah, that is a logical structure. i don't really know of anyone doing anything different to that, if I'm honest
you should obviously have at least two arguments within the main section of the report (i.e. impacting negatively, impacting positively / hyperglobalisers, transformationalists, sceptics)

in your methodology talk about secondary literature review - the potential for biases/opinions
how your report applies specific geographical theories (which it should)
mention some of the case studies
acknowledge people's different viewpoints
give an idea where some of your information is coming from - specific textbooks/books
JizzMan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah, that is a logical structure. i don't really know of anyone doing anything different to that, if I'm honest
you should obviously have at least two arguments within the main section of the report (i.e. impacting negatively, impacting positively / hyperglobalisers, transformationalists, sceptics)

in your methodology talk about secondary literature review - the potential for biases/opinions
how your report applies specific geographical theories (which it should)
mention some of the case studies
acknowledge people's different viewpoints
give an idea where some of your information is coming from - specific textbooks/books
okay, that sounds sensible enough..

btw are you going for the impact negative/positive method of argument or hyperglobalisers/skeptic argument? thing is hyperglobalisers sound a lot better and intellectual and **** but i dont know how to approach it as well as i can do positive/negative..

thanks for all the help btw, needed this
just :)
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
culture people...

How do you relate cultural landscapes to the pre-release steer???

thanks in advance
lolly21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
okay, that sounds sensible enough..

btw are you going for the impact negative/positive method of argument or hyperglobalisers/skeptic argument? thing is hyperglobalisers sound a lot better and intellectual and **** but i dont know how to approach it as well as i can do positive/negative..

thanks for all the help btw, needed this
at the moment, i'm going for the generic kind of globalisation is impacting negatively/positively sort of thing, but then weaving in stuff about hyperglobalisers within my case studies. if you know what i mean?
it kind of depends on the question however, i may change it to hyperglobalisers etc. if the question sounds more like people's different views...
just :)
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was thinking of doing it in that way but i didn't really know how to...
at the moment i have the structure of is impacting (negatively) and then isn't impacting or is impacting positively.

What's yours like?

i don't particularly know what is best
i'm still debating over how to structure it... thing is i can argue sceptics and hyperglobalisers but i don't understand what transsformationalists are??!
lolly21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by just :))
i'm still debating over how to structure it... thing is i can argue sceptics and hyperglobalisers but i don't understand what transsformationalists are??!
i know, transformationalists have always confused me.. i think they are somewhere in the middle though...
so apparently, they believe that globalisation represents a significant shift, but question the inevitability of its impacts...so i thought maybe France or Japan...? maybe?
Subclique
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's a thread here if you want to see discussion specifically about the Tectonic Activity Option that's been going on for weeks.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1634866
JizzMan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
right i've got case studies for negative impacts of globalisation and positive impacts; not sure about ones where theres no impact; would that be things like the amish and the french cos they resist globalisation and hence are unaffected by them?
kimmyl30
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by daydreamer22)
I sat the exam in January and am re-taking on friday, but haven't had loads of guidace from my teacher as im the only one retaking,

I am planning to split the report into 2, human and physical reasons for food insecurity, with desertification being a catalyst.

Physical Case Studies
Natural Disasters (Cyclone in Myanmar)
Drought (UK)
Desertfication (The Sahel)

Human Case Studies
Darfur (civil unrest)
Zimbabwe (Political misrule)
Land Grabs

How are other people planning on structuring it?
You could also break down Human reasons into Social - Economic - Environmental - Political. Thanks for your countries, I'm definitely going to do some quick research on Darfur, Zimbabwe and the other links people have posted. Best of luck for tomorrow!
volvicstar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what physical factors can you compare montserrat and iceland with?
what do you say in the evaluation?
what models would everyone use and why would you use them?
conclusion?
CD14
Report 7 years ago
Hi All,

Hope your all feeling ok about tomorrow,

What do you think of this plan if its to look at the physical and human features?

Human:
Population growth – Ester and Moserup
Changing diets - China
Rising food prices – Tortillas in Mexico

Physical:
Natural Hazards – Haiti Earthquake
Desertification - Australia
Pests -

Also, which ones of these case studys are dryland areas?, Australia, The Sahrel and Spain?

xxx
valenciano
Report 7 years ago
which are the case studies that should be done in terms of desertification apart from the sahel?
taxatoon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How have people doing pollution and human health at risk ensured their case studies are at a 'range of locations'? Have you just picked random ones in different countries, or developed and developing countries or at a regional, national and global scale?
mischka_tay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING CULTURE

how many case studies you got in total??

Im thinking on structuring my report by positive, negative, neutral. and the case studies 2/2/2.

Used to have 3 for positive impacts... but I just didnt have time to write it all during mock so figured id kick out one case study. so didn wanna do that.
antipesto93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by valenciano)
which are the case studies that should be done in terms of desertification apart from the sahel?
depends what you learnt, there are loads of places that are dryland ecosystem
china, gobi desert
california
ethiopia
lolly21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mischka_tay)

Im thinking on structuring my report by positive, negative, neutral. and the case studies 2/2/2.

Used to have 3 for positive impacts... but I just didnt have time to write it all during mock so figured id kick out one case study. so didn wanna do that.
I have 6 case studies overall
i have 3 for my two subsections -- positive/unaffected and negative effects of globalisation
Although, when i get into the exam dependent on the actual wording of the question, i may put it into hyperglobalist, transformationalist, and sceptical perspective...

then i'd do my negative effects in the hyperglobalist part
my resistance to globalisation in the transformationalist
and the positive in the sceptical..

i don't really know whether that's right or not, do you?
Grahim99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by mischka_tay)

what are you doing for 'neutral'?
mischka_tay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have 6 case studies overall
i have 3 for my two subsections -- positive/unaffected and negative effects of globalisation
Although, when i get into the exam dependent on the actual wording of the question, i may put it into hyperglobalist, transformationalist, and sceptical perspective...

then i'd do my negative effects in the hyperglobalist part
my resistance to globalisation in the transformationalist
and the positive in the sceptical..

i don't really know whether that's right or not, do you?

I'm really confused about the transformationalists too... but I thought that sceptics assume that globalisation has like no impact on culture at all?

So i do sceptics for the resistance part... i think there isnt a precise boundary between them all so as long as we justify our opinion it should be ok..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed