Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    hear hear.... well spoken (tapping on the table). I think your not the only person to feel the same way.

Thank Labour and their intiative to 'free education', diluting our education system and allowing people to go to university, with menial grades.

if you achieve a B is say Physics at GCSE, you will then be allowed to study for the advanced syllabus; A level. Ironically, how can one do the advanced level in such a subject when they cant achieve top grade for the GCSE. Granted certain cricumstances do pertain in individual cases.

Then such a student may recieve a B or C grade in Leve and may be rejected from a handful of universities who require, say, and A grade. But low and behold such a person will recieve an offer, somewhere else, one these joke 'Universities', where they will recieve loans and grants and will not work as hard as someone at the top end of the academic spectrum as they have no REAL interest in studying the subject. If they did then they would spend all if not most of their time in their faculties or departements doing research, joining societies and revising etc.

I beleive education should be free, but higher education should be for those who have worked hard and have achieved near to full marks, not everyone can for obvious circumstnaces, and they should be indidually.

anyway as this weakining system goes on, more and more 'students' are not actually students, they are a utter joke, thus the redifing of the life of a student. Once it was about the privellege, hard work, proud to be represent ones university and a reward for intelligence, but know anyone with any qualification may be admitted.

many students will end up doing the jobs they would have done, had they not gone to unvirsity using the learning on the job scheme, apprenticeships and other mechanisms within the economic structure.

Low and behold the government along with puffed up or inflated job roles are deemed 'gradtuate jobs' when in essence they are not, they have been labelled with such title to make the 'graduate' feel good.

the HE system is a comically, adeverse system that perpetuates the belief one has a right without applying ones self in the proper manner, which means not raving but associating through get to gethers, diabolic drinking sprees to perhaps tea parties or sharing a meal.

oh and btw we fund this, subsidise these 'student' bus fares and other major services, as they are more than content to disperese of their finanaces in many unpleasant ways.

im not a conservative or someone who wants education to become elitist, i want GENUINE value for the degrees and university and i want it to be tranparrent and widely accesible, not widely admittable (if thats a word).

please please please, dont come with the horrible comments, i am simply saying what is truth, if we got rid of all these 'mickey mouse' universites and courses, than all those millions, which is substantial, may be given to those universities with impressive results, who may then grow their universities to, two or three cities to expand in that way.

honestly
    I accidently repped you when I wanted to neg you - God knows how many people you just insulted.

ReputationRep:
    hear hear.... well spoken (tapping on the table). I think your not the only person to feel the same way.

Thank Labour and their intiative to 'free education', diluting our education system and allowing people to go to university, with menial grades.

if you achieve a B is say Physics at GCSE, you will then be allowed to study for the advanced syllabus; A level. Ironically, how can one do the advanced level in such a subject when they cant achieve top grade for the GCSE. Granted certain cricumstances do pertain in individual cases.

Then such a student may recieve a B or C grade in Leve and may be rejected from a handful of universities who require, say, and A grade. But low and behold such a person will recieve an offer, somewhere else, one these joke 'Universities', where they will recieve loans and grants and will not work as hard as someone at the top end of the academic spectrum as they have no REAL interest in studying the subject. If they did then they would spend all if not most of their time in their faculties or departements doing research, joining societies and revising etc.

I beleive education should be free, but higher education should be for those who have worked hard and have achieved near to full marks, not everyone can for obvious circumstnaces, and they should be indidually.

anyway as this weakining system goes on, more and more 'students' are not actually students, they are a utter joke, thus the redifing of the life of a student. Once it was about the privellege, hard work, proud to be represent ones university and a reward for intelligence, but know anyone with any qualification may be admitted.

many students will end up doing the jobs they would have done, had they not gone to unvirsity using the learning on the job scheme, apprenticeships and other mechanisms within the economic structure.

Low and behold the government along with puffed up or inflated job roles are deemed 'gradtuate jobs' when in essence they are not, they have been labelled with such title to make the 'graduate' feel good.

the HE system is a comically, adeverse system that perpetuates the belief one has a right without applying ones self in the proper manner, which means not raving but associating through get to gethers, diabolic drinking sprees to perhaps tea parties or sharing a meal.

oh and btw we fund this, subsidise these 'student' bus fares and other major services, as they are more than content to disperese of their finanaces in many unpleasant ways.

im not a conservative or someone who wants education to become elitist, i want GENUINE value for the degrees and university and i want it to be tranparrent and widely accesible, not widely admittable (if thats a word).

please please please, dont come with the horrible comments, i am simply saying what is truth, if we got rid of all these 'mickey mouse' universites and courses, than all those millions, which is substantial, may be given to those universities with impressive results, who may then grow their universities to, two or three cities to expand in that way.

honestly
    The irony here is that you type like you're drunk....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    drunk no, tired yes

honestly

ReputationRep:
    I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanO)
    I accidently repped you when I wanted to neg you - God knows how many people you just insulted.
    My intention is not to insult, but to convey a message supportes by many other students, who are insulted and made a mockery when they express simmilar sentiments.

As I have said, university is for those who have the proper prior qualifications and other things alike to study at a Degree level.

honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    that maybe so, and whats wrong with someone typing when they are drunk?

btw i was tired not drunk.... trust me when i say an A* in Eng Lit, A* Economics and an A in History are not easy to achieve at A level.

honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by original_username)
    What does the bible say about posting attention seeking nonsense threads on the internet OP?

ReputationRep:

honestly
    Got BB GCSE Double Award Science, got A AS Biology, on route to A*
    in short..

COME AT ME BRO

ReputationRep:
    If you can't handle having a social life, drinking and having sex while at university it's safe to say you're ****ed later in life.

Also LOL.

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of university is not only to drink, and it is not only to study. It's about having a good balance between your academic and social life... and if you choose to drink as part of that social life I really don't see what the problem is. If you choose to spend every single available hour working in your room and not going out then you're going to end up as a boring, lonely person whose grades suffer anyway due to loneliness and no social interaction. And people like to drink. Who are you to judge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetobbit)
    Got BB GCSE Double Award Science, got A AS Biology, on route to A*
    in short..

COME AT ME BRO
    firstly im not your Bro or brother if thats what you mean... did you read this sentence

'Granted certain cricumstances do pertain in individual cases. '

and did you not also see the narrative of Toby Young

honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    One of the things that particularly annoys me about university students is the vice of drinking. Having alcoholic inclinations also leads to other vices (such as premarital sex).

Universities are educational and research centres, where you are meant to work. After all, if you want to drink, why go to university at all? I don't think anybody has a license to complain when they end up with an average degree and have few job prospects due to the lifestyle that they have chosen to lead.
    Many people I know have graduated with firsts and they partied all the time. You can do both. I think you have too much free time at uni anyway

ReputationRep:
    PRETENTIOUS PRICK. not all of us christian's are as ridiculous with our views as OP.
    University is about growing up and taking a big leap in life.
    Drink and Sex is part of that!!

Go whine somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    firstly im not your Bro or brother if thats what you mean... did you read this sentence

'Granted certain cricumstances do pertain in individual cases. '

and did you not also see the narrative of Toby Young

honestly
    Yeh but why u mad tho?
    U Jelly?
    U mirin?

ReputationRep:
    deleted

ReputationRep:

honestly
    You end your elite rage with your username. Is it just me that thinks it just makes you look like an arrogant idiot?

Anyway, OP, I really think you need to have a drink and get laid or something.
    Lot's of people know the balance between a social life, and an academic life. I drink. I also do quite well academically to be fair, hopefully going to become a barrister and go into partnership with my uncle.

But I like to drink.

So according you, that is not possible, no?

ReputationRep:
    University is as much about expanding your educational knowledge as it is about enjoying the last remaining carefree years of your life and gaining some social skills/life experience.

I'm pretty sure not all students that are not teetotallers are hardcore alcoholics, they're just having fun. If you don't drink yourself, I'd never judge you for it. But I wouldn't be expected to be looked down upon because I decide to do it myself either.

As for alcohol leading to other vices...well first of all define "vices". As long as it's not criminal/outright degrading behaviour and it's not harming the individual in question or anyone else then what's wrong with it? You give pre-marital sex as an example. It is only a vice in the eye of the beholder. I personally do not see it as a vice, but a normal part of healthy adult life. Each to their own beliefs. And I wouldn't need alcohol to persuade me to engage in it....in fact I am a hell of a lot less likely to if I am drunk than if I'm not :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As others have said. a vice is what you make it. For many drinking (d=fairly responsibly) and pre-marital sex and not vices. I don't mean to sound rude, but you sound like a religious person trying to impose your opinion on other people and it is not welcome.

As for learning. Sure. My opinion is that the social side is the only thing really worth the thousands of pounds your paying and your not even paying for it (well, the money you may directly to go to university mostly isn't). The teaching at school was better value for money, and yes I mean a private/public school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetobbit)
    Yeh but why u mad tho?
    U Jelly?
    U mirin?
    I am not mad, or at least my madness is not as bad as your pseudo profundity in the realm of insults...

honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maccees)
    You end your elite rage with your username. Is it just me that thinks it just makes you look like an arrogant idiot?

Anyway, OP, I really think you need to have a drink and get laid or something.
    Lot's of people know the balance between a social life, and an academic life. I drink. I also do quite well academically to be fair, hopefully going to become a barrister and go into partnership with my uncle.

But I like to drink.

So according you, that is not possible, no?
    as a budding barrister i am suprised that you have not seen the genuine side of my arguement, instead you have decided to to read my arguement to make judgements about me.

partnership, i though barristers worked in chambers, and are self employed (70%) and even then is it not against the rules to go into partnership as a barrister.

I am suprised you are talking about 'arrogant idiot', since it is you who has a such a scandalous, cheap and dirty plan to enter the bar,,, by using your uncle.

i wanted to be a barrister, not any more due to career change, any jobs, minis and interviews i had were rewarding all the time!!!!

and i cannot believe the Bar is willing to degrade it's standards by allowing someone who describes their academic performance as 'fair'.....

you should not cast judgements per se, in that it is my arguement you may disagree with not going on a rampant crusade against my character.

I know a few barristers and solicitors, i would never, will never and would not dream to start my career of by using them, it would make me feel like a career harlot and bring shame to every notion of meritocracy....

honestly

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.