Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmagpie)
    The sayers I used to go to by my college charged 95p for a tiny carton of Ribena. The shop across the road was an independent newsagents and sold it for about 65p. Sayers/Greggs etc are ok for hot food, but the mark-up on drinks/crisps/sandwiches is laughable.

Not good if you're a Ribena addict like me
    That's horrendous! :eek: My college sold the bottles for £1.20 which I thought was bad enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Looking at the cost for the margherita, I actually think they're a bit on the high side. That's saying a pizza base costs 55p, but I frequently make pizza at home (roughly 11-12" so a touch smaller) and the total cost of ingredients to me per base is approximately 13p, which is a LONG way short of 55p...and a business buying ingredients wholesale and in bulk will be able to acquire them much cheaper than I can get them by wandering around the aisles of my local Tesco.
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I know Dalimyr, even erring on the side of caution and overestimating, it's quite high for the raw ingredients, but it only further proves HOW INSANELY FILTHILY overpriced Dominos and Pizza Hut are. 900% markup for such a simple, cheap dish? Can you imagine if other products had a 900% price markup?

Imagine if a takeaway offered Beans on Toast as a takeaway option for £9. Would you buy it? Same kinda deal really.
    what i sometimes do is i go to ASDA (or tesco, or sainsburys etc) and buy value cheese and tomato pizzas. we all know these have f-all topping on, so i also buy some value mozzerella, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, whatever else i fancy having on my pizza and make my own. the intial cost is a bit since you dont use all your ingredients but split the cost with a flatmate and you could have a decent pizza for about £2.50 each...
    which is still expensive compared to buying your flour and making your own dough, if you want to do it properly, but tbh i find this quicker and easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Try your calculations again, you'll find that if you add a couple of zeroes on the end then your profit estimate would be closer :p:

Buy a bag of coffee beans for £1.50.
    That bag of beans can be made into 40 cups of coffee.
    If each coffee is sold for £2.50, those 40 cups sell for a combined total of £100. Not bad for a £1.50 investment, eh?

But yeah, your 66% markup estimate is way off the mark. £1.50 divided by 40 = 3.75p (say 4p) per cup of coffee, yes? They're selling for £2.50 so each cup is making a £2.46 profit, a markup of over 6000% (!!!). ily_em made a good point in an earlier post quoting you that there would be various overheads that the company would have to pay, but even when those are taken into consideration it's still a ludicrous profit they'd be making per cup.
    Ahh....haha thanks! That does make more sense...when I got the answer 66% I did think it sounded less 'big' than I originally thought. Wow this is what one year out of education does for to

I suppose, wages, rent etc are expensive. But 6000% is insane. That is a HUGE profit!

ReputationRep:
    Uncle Ben's rice is stupidly expensive, as is Ben and Jerry's.

ReputationRep:
    99'S ARE NOT 99P!!!

I will NEVER get over this.

Flake :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Tinned tuna has drastically gone up in price in recent years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    Ahh....haha thanks! That does make more sense...when I got the answer 66% I did think it sounded less 'big' than I originally thought. Wow this is what one year out of education does for to

I suppose, wages, rent etc are expensive. But 6000% is insane. That is a HUGE profit!
    If I could afford one of those giant espresso machines I would make my own, but until then there's no choice but to pay those prices. Their profits aren't that huge on the coffee, it's quite an expensive commodity, it takes a lot of coffee to make each of the shots and the machines are very expensive and costly to maintain. The margins on food are probably higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lennon.McCartney)
    aha, got there one minute before me!

Seriously though, every time I walk into a news agents chocolate bars are generally around 60-65p each. Madness.
    exactly what happened to 40p chocolate bars...? and the 10p freddo

ReputationRep:
    I'm suprised no one has mentioned energy drinks at petrol stations. They know drivers will be tired as **** ans will either want coffe or red bull.

I swear a 330ml can of Red Bull costs like 3 euro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkeyMunkey)
    In one area I go to, I can get a 7 inch pizza, chips and a can of drink for £2. In areas closer to home (Central london-ish) this will cost in an excess of £10 ...ridiculous
    WHEREEEE IS THIS?!
    my pizza go go only does pizza for £2
    But my mate knows a place that does pizza, 2 hot wings, chips and a drink for £2..
    BARGAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN.

ReputationRep:
    Fruit. I live off the stuff yet its so darn expensive!

Two small, measly boxes of rasberries: £3!! :eek:
    A punnet of strawberries: £4

Surely the stuff that is supposed to be good for you and from nature itself should be cheap... *cries*

So I choose to drive to a fruit market somewhere in the middle of nowhere where a whole WOODEN BOX of grapes is like £1.50.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Imagine if a takeaway offered Beans on Toast as a takeaway option for £9. Would you buy it? Same kinda deal really.
    I remember a newspaper article from when Jamie Oliver opened his first restaurant which said that he punted a gourmet beans on toast for £15 a throw.

God can only imagine what it was styled as... 'Haricot beans in a rich jus de tomate served alongside a lightly griddled ciabata'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    I was shocked at how expensive chicken breasts were.

£4.65 for ASDA own brand 3 chicken breasts. Yet I got like 4-5 massive chicken legs (ASDA own brand) for £2.40.

I want chicken.
    Are you Black?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eemooz)
    WHEREEEE IS THIS?!
    my pizza go go only does pizza for £2
    But my mate knows a place that does pizza, 2 hot wings, chips and a drink for £2..
    BARGAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN.
    Poorer areas of London mate...like east and some north parts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkeyMunkey)
    Poorer areas of London mate...like east and some north parts
    might have to move house!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jendra9311)
    what i sometimes do is i go to ASDA (or tesco, or sainsburys etc) and buy value cheese and tomato pizzas. we all know these have f-all topping on, so i also buy some value mozzerella, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, whatever else i fancy having on my pizza and make my own. the intial cost is a bit since you dont use all your ingredients but split the cost with a flatmate and you could have a decent pizza for about £2.50 each...
    which is still expensive compared to buying your flour and making your own dough, if you want to do it properly, but tbh i find this quicker and easier.
    I know what you're saying, but it just doesn't taste the same. Some people would say better, but sometimes I just want that deliciously oversized overly cheesy pizza hut pizza with the stuffed crust. Mmmmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modgepodge)
    I know what you're saying, but it just doesn't taste the same. Some people would say better, but sometimes I just want that deliciously oversized overly cheesy pizza hut pizza with the stuffed crust. Mmmmmm.
    i know sometimes there is no replacing brand name additives

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it is... that cheap-as-hell-turned-extortionate pizza... that could be another brand new pair of trainers. That could be a brand new Blu-Ray. Pizza is an INCREDIBLY cheap-to-produce foodstuff that should be incredibly cheap to make or just... buy. If a brand new crisp came onto the market that was no more decadent than any other but you could get it sent to your door and cost £5 a 25g packet, would you still be so eager?

ReputationRep:
    Pizza delivery...doesn't stop me though

ReputationRep:
    A local pizza place here does a 7inch cheese and tomato pizza for £1. It's great value for a hot succulent snack. You just want MORE.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.