Euro 2012 Draw Watch

yunghamz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by El Ferrari)
England should qualify, it's really not a tough group, but then again, you're faced up against the likes of Sweden, who have the fantastic Ibrahimovic, and France, who have Benzema, a man on hot form and has been since the start of the year. England and France should progress - the latter, in my opinion, isn't better than England, they just seem on the same level.
Tough group to be honest, England seem to be jinxed by Sweden, Ukraine have home advantage and France have a point to prove with critics saying Zidane was their reason for success. France will walk it if someone in the team shows the kind of leadership Deschamps, Blanc and Vieira produced but then again England will always use their win against Spain as a way to move forward, great opener nonetheless.
gingerrama
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Neglected to mention that I accidentally watched the entire ceremony. Good god it was boring.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah; When did draws become oscar ceremonies?
Saelie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TRS-T)
3 derbies in the group stage then.

Holland vs Germany

Czech Republic vs Poland

Denmark vs Germany
Poland vs Russia is also prestige-heavy.
Salu.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly England are not in an easy group. Remember WC 2010 and how difficult it was for us to finish second?

Once again we open the tournament against France, a side that is progressing under Laurent Blanc. We won't the game but I see us getting a draw. Next up, Sweden, a game we should win and will win. Last up, we will have to face a very hostile home crowd and I reckon we will just about edge this one too. After we qualify its anyone's guess.

Capello needs to get his tactics spot on. I think he should take Rooney because we're going to need some firepower in the latter stages of this tournament and the more the merrier. We also need to give the young guns, like Walcott, Sturridge and Johnson a chance to shine. This is critical if England are to have any chance. My predictions: (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Greece v Holland
Spain v England
Germany v Russia
France v Italy

Holland v Spain
Germany v France

Spain v Germany
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd like another Spain v Germany final tbh.
MTR_10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'd say luck was shining down on us today to be drawn in that group. Not that Ukraine are not a good team or Sweden for that matter but there are much harder games.

Looking forward to England V France. I can see a similar game to the Germany match in Munich which we won 5-1.

At least there is no climate (think Japan/ South Korea 02 and South Africa wc2010) or culture shock for the players this time.

come on England!
sleep99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by checkolad)
Remember?
England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

Don't get carried away...
Sweden
Andrey Shevchenko
France
England

Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gutted about the draw for Ireland, but in Trap we have possibly the best man for the job.

Ireland will, at least, be hard to beat. And have top support there.

I just hope we don't get a raft of retirements after the tournament, tbh, that way there's some continuity between both sets of qualifiers.
greekguy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)
Gutted about the draw for Ireland, but in Trap we have possibly the best man for the job.

I just hope we don't get a raft of retirements after the tournament, tbh, that way there's some continuity between both sets of qualifiers.
Yes i agree with you. Ireland deserved being in 2010 world cup in south Africa. its a pretty difficult opponent and i strongly believe that italy wont beat them.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)

Ireland tend to punch above their weight on the big stage, must be some mental thing. Remember 1-0 win over finalsits Italy at wc94? 1-1 draw with finalsits Germany at wc2002?

It's reassuring for Ireland that they won't meet favourites Spain until final when they do qualify :ahee:
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
Ireland tend to punch above their weight on the big stage, must be some mental thing. Remember 1-0 win over finalsits Italy at wc94? 1-1 draw with finalsits Germany at wc2002?

It's reassuring for Ireland that they won't meet favourites Spain until final when they do qualify :ahee:
Wrt to the 94 match, I remember quite a bit, but most vivid is the house erupting when that goal went in. 12 or so people squashed in to a Dublin terraced house, those were the days.

As for 2002, all I remember is the unity that occurred after Keane's strop. Thankfully a few players remain from that tournament.

Ah yes, the silver lining. :gah:
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Feel sorry for Denmark, pleased with our group though.
`R92
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's dumb to compare us to world cup 2010. Simple switches like heskey/wright phillips/upson out hart/wilshere/walker/richards/walcott/sturridge in have improved us a lot.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do we know which groups winners/2nd place will play whom in the knock out rounds?

Edit: seems to be teamed with group C in the knock outs which could mean Spain or Italy?
dindane
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Quite a nice group. Maybe not as strong as Group D, but definitely not as weak as Group A. I' ve got tickets for the game Sweden - England in Kiev and second round matches and I'm looking for somebody to who's got tickets for the matches in Poland to swap. I guess it's not a proper place to post such an advertisement. Can you tell me where can I find somebody who could swap these tickets?
myfriendSQRT(-1)
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by El Ferrari)
England should qualify, it's really not a tough group, but then again, you're faced up against the likes of Sweden, who have the fantastic Ibrahimovic, and France, who have Benzema, a man on hot form and has been since the start of the year. England and France should progress - the latter, in my opinion, isn't better than England, they just seem on the same level.
Sweden and France undoubtedly have a few world class players. But England has a squad full of "World class players". Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Walcott, Wilshere (if he's fit in time). The combined price tag on England's squad would far exceed any of the other group members teams. But the question is can they play together. We'll see...
checkolad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1))
Sweden and France undoubtedly have a few world class players. But England has a squad full of "World class players". Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Walcott, Wilshere (if he's fit in time). The combined price tag on England's squad would far exceed any of the other group members teams. But the question is can they play together. We'll see...
Thats just because English players are overpriced it doesn't mean anything. That "average" France team went to Wembley and played England of the park. I know it was a friendly but it will happen again I assure you.
H.H.P.C.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Here in Ukraine we are quite happy with the draw that we have got. Whilst we are a bit jealous of our neighbour's Poland's draw, we still think we have a chance of getting to the next round as well as being able to play against some of the most exciting players in Europe.

I would just like to remind all Englishmen of the last time our two great nations met

Ukraine 1 England 0
(Serhiy Nazarenko 29)

Good Luck
myfriendSQRT(-1)
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by checkolad)
Thats just because English players are overpriced it doesn't mean anything. That "average" France team went to Wembley and played England of the park. I know it was a friendly but it will happen again I assure you.
I couldn't agree more that English players are overpriced, but they are still considered top top players. And, one would expect them to be beating teams such as the "average" France team. England's problem has consistently turning class into form. They haven't really turned up properly for a major tournament in years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (61)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (120)
39.34%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.66%

Watched Threads