n00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RachelSophia)
I actually think most people realise how widespread its use is...
Its improving but your post highlights that in your case at least it clearly isn't the case.

and i also think that the majority of users are idiots because they think they are 'hard' by smoking it... but that's just my opinion because those who smoke it around my area are typical chavs and lay abouts, who cant work because they are stoned most of the time. Perhaps it's different in other places and maybe thats why my views are biased? That an my encounters with people who are on drugs, like i said, it freaks me out haha.

I've yet to find a nice, friendly and intelligent, hard working stoner. I know that probably sounds like a huge generalisation and a really ignorant comment but it's true [i would like to clear up that i'm not saying they dont exist just that i'm yet to find one].
Well I can't blame you for having those views if thats your only experience. Unfortunately 'typical chavs and lay abouts' have less to lose so are more likely to be open about their use. By being open about my use i put myself at a greater risk of getting a criminal record which could result in the loss of my job and will have an impact on my future career prospects. I put a very high value on my personal freedom and have a great deal of concern for the countless lives that are ruined by the war on drugs so will if the situation seems worthwhile put this before my job and career prospects. Fortunately i have an easy option of moving to a country with more sensible drug laws and attitudes, however if i knew you personally i would still be extremely cautious about letting you know about my use, the risk would not be worthwhile. I think you are unlikely to find friendly and intelligent, hard working stoners or rather find out that the friendly, intelligent, hard working people you know are actually stoners with your attitude.

Neg me all you want but it's people like that who always go on about legalising it and never help it because they can't control their abuse of the drug.
:rolleyes:
RachelSophia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n00)
Its improving but your post highlights that in your case at least it clearly isn't the case.

Well I can't blame you for having those views if thats your only experience. Unfortunately 'typical chavs and lay abouts' have less to lose so are more likely to be open about their use. By being open about my use i put myself at a greater risk of getting a criminal record which could result in the loss of my job and will have an impact on my future career prospects. I put a very high value on my personal freedom and have a great deal of concern for the countless lives that are ruined by the war of drugs so will if the situation seems worthwhile put this before my job and career prospect. Furtunately i have an easy option of moving to a country with more sensible drug laws and attitudes, however if i knew you personally i would be extremely cautious about letting you know about my use, the risk would not be worthwhile. You are unlikely to find friendly and intelligent, hard working stoners with your attitude.

:rolleyes:
No my post explained that people shouldn't be so open about their illegal actions. Not that they aren't open about it.

lol and please explain how my 'attitude' stops stoners around here being friendly.
It's not like i go up to someone and announce that i hate drugs... I've only explained it on a forum/discussion.

I hate drugs. A LOT. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
n00
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:facepalm:

I hate drugs. A LOT. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Well other than it appears your hatred of drugs is based purely on ignorance and bigotry.
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n00)
:facepalm:

Well other than it appears your hatred of drugs is based purely on ignorance and bigotry.
Again can you please explain how my attitude changes anything

And cool whatever, I've already said im ignorant but people form decisions based on experience and upbringing rather than what some guy said on tsr, is there anything wrong with not liking illegal drugs? Nope. Not a huge fan of binge drinking either because in my experience people embarrass themselves how terrible and ignorant of me! I must conform.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Xperia S
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All I'd say on drugs is that we should be concerned over what should be lawful in principle, and pay no attention to what is lawful currently. We should have a consistent reasoning for why alcohol and tobacco are permitted whilst cannabis and ecstacy are not, or else we should reconsider the matter. If there is no reasonable distinction to be made between these drugs, then either they should all be banned or all declared lawful; we shouldn't base our judgement on "but everyone likes alcohol" or "cigarrettes have been allowed for centuries", since these fail to address what should be by only appealing to what is.
Gob Bluth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by miser)
All I'd say on drugs is that we should be concerned over what should be lawful in principle, and pay no attention to what is lawful currently. We should have a consistent reasoning for why alcohol and tobacco are permitted whilst cannabis and ecstacy are not, or else we should reconsider the matter. If there is no reasonable distinction to be made between these drugs, then either they should all be banned or all declared lawful; we shouldn't base our judgement on "but everyone likes alcohol" or "cigarrettes have been allowed for centuries", since these fail to address what should be by only appealing to what is.
I agree.
canŵio
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
when i started a job, everyone went out after work and we started talking about me going to uni in october. the people i was working with (in their 30s) spent half an hour telling me how cool it'll be because i can just mess around getting wasted and that drugs are really easy to come by and how awesome it is.

i don't go out after work anymore! they act like children, i can't believe they think that's cool.
WhatsHisFace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I actually think most people realise how widespread its use is...
and i also think that the majority of users are idiots because they think they are 'hard' by smoking it... but that's just my opinion because those who smoke it around my area are typical chavs and lay abouts, who cant work because they are stoned most of the time. Perhaps it's different in other places and maybe thats why my views are biased? That an my encounters with people who are on drugs, like i said, it freaks me out haha.

I've yet to find a nice, friendly and intelligent, hard working stoner. I know that probably sounds like a huge generalisation and a really ignorant comment but it's true [i would like to clear up that i'm not saying they dont exist just that i'm yet to find one]. Neg me all you want but it's people like that who always go on about legalising it and never help it because they can't control their abuse of the drug.
I have yet to meet someone who thought of themselves as rebellious or hardcore for smoking weed. Maybe 12 year olds do, but nobody I talk to. And if they do in your area, that doesn't prove that potheads are idiots, it only proves that you hang around idiots who happen to smoke weed. I'm positive that if you had a more open mind you'd find plenty of decent people who enjoy cannabis, but if you generalize and stigmatize people for having a certain hobby, they're going to avoid you. It's as simple as that.

As well, even if you don't care much about the culture, can't you at least have the decency to admit that the current laws in place for drug offenses are ridiculous?
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhatsHisFace)
I have yet to meet someone who thought of themselves as rebellious or hardcore for smoking weed. Maybe 12 year olds do, but nobody I talk to. And if they do in your area, that doesn't prove that potheads are idiots, it only proves that you hang around idiots who happen to smoke weed. I'm positive that if you had a more open mind you'd find plenty of decent people who enjoy cannabis, but if you generalize and stigmatize people for having a certain hobby, they're going to avoid you. It's as simple as that.

As well, even if you don't care much about the culture, can't you at least have the decency to admit that the current laws in place for drug offenses are ridiculous?
Oh ffs. I never said i hung around with them now did i. If i hate it that much why would i?

WHAT? what is it with stoners trying to convince everyone that smoking it is ok? and that the law is what is messed up... CAN YOU not have the decency to respect that i hate it? I never said that you have to hate it? I see nothing wrong with the law in place right now... in fact i think it should be stricter and i think smoking tobacco should be just as illegal. It just generates too much tax for that to happen.
Sorry i do not ever want to see Cannabis for sale in tesco behind the counter for my children to just ask for and 'try'.
Dr. Bassman
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've yet to find a nice, friendly and intelligent, hard working.
These sorts of people tend to hang around their own kind, so that makes sense.
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh ffs. I never said i hung around with them now did i. If i hate it that much why would i?

WHAT? what is it with stoners trying to convince everyone that smoking it is ok? and that the law is what is messed up... CAN YOU not have the decency to respect that i hate it? I never said that you have to hate it? I see nothing wrong with the law in place right now... in fact i think it should be stricter and i think smoking tobacco should be just as illegal. It just generates too much tax for that to happen.
Sorry i do not ever want to see Cannabis for sale in tesco behind the counter for my children to just ask for and 'try'.
And I hate cigarettes. Most of my family smokes it, despite the rest of my family dying due to causes that can be attributed to smoking. In matter of fact, tobacco kills nearly half of it's long- term smokers compared to marijuana's zero. Why should companies be allowed to give people this garbage, yet throw people in jail (aka ruining their chances to become a productive member of society) for enjoying a different kind of plant?
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And I hate cigarettes. Most of my family smokes it, despite the rest of my family dying due to causes that can be attributed to smoking. In matter of fact, tobacco kills nearly half of it's long- term smokers compared to marijuana's zero. Why should companies be allowed to give people this garbage, yet throw people in jail (aka ruining their chances to become a productive member of society) for enjoying a different kind of plant?
They don't throw people in jail for it though. I've never known anyone but dealers to go to prison for it. You just get some pathetic warning like an underage drinker and a slap on the hand. Sadly...

and how can 'my own kind' be 'pot heads' if i'm so against it. How does that even make sense?
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They don't throw people in jail for it though. Exactly my point... why the hell shouldn't they...? If we throw people in jail to "save themselves", wouldn't our #1 killer have some sort of priority? I've never known anyone but dealers to go to prison for it. You just get some pathetic warning like an underage drinker and a slap on the hand. Sadly...

and how can 'my own kind' be 'pot heads' if i'm so against it. How does that even make sense?
Sadly??? So you think that EVERYONE who has used drugs, including most politicians, most notable celebrities, MOST people who has made any sort of scientific, medical, or technological advancement (James D. Watson and Francis Crick/ Steve Jobs) should be rotting in jail right now? Do you have any morsal of understanding of the sanctity of life?? You personally are in no way affected by it, yet you want to IMPRISON people who don't share your opinion? You disgust me.
Dinnes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Morally I am tempted by the arguments for legalising drugs so long as they only affect the individual. But at the same time if I had kids I wouldn't let them near them because for me there isn't enough proof that they're safe. I would certainly rather have smoking banned and ecstasy legalised, because even though smoking is sometimes only individually harmful (in which case, fine by all means), the whole passive smoking thing I think poses risks to others. Whereas stuff like ecstasy, even though I personally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, could only ever affect others if the person does something stupid while under its influence (but alcohol is legal with the same issue so there's no real case there).

The other benefit with legalising drugs is that at least you can regulate them. Then at least they will be safer than the state they are in at the moment. Whether taking drugs is stupid or not is not relevant, because ultimately people have a *right* to do what they want to themselves. If it turns out to be dangerous etc.etc. then societal pressure will stop it, in the same way that smoking is become far less widespread, but it is not the government's place to decide on the rights of the individual, even when it endangers the individual.

I think it is a perhaps unfortunate consequence of today's modern society, but people have to be allowed to do to themselves what they want.
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sadly??? So you think that EVERYONE who has used drugs, including most politicians, most notable celebrities, MOST people who has made any sort of scientific, medical, or technological advancement (James D. Watson and Francis Crick/ Steve Jobs) should be rotting in jail right now? Do you have any morsal of understanding of the sanctity of life?? You personally are in no way affected by it, yet you want to IMPRISON people who don't share your opinion? You disgust me.
You just quoted me and added loads of **** i didn't say...
And made an assumption that i want them all imprisoned. I actually think a nice fine would do justice on the first 2 warnings..
I can't even be bothered with this argument now, you're twisting everything and adding things to try and justify taking drugs. Oh good I disgust a druggie. Bad times, that makes me really upset

(Original post by Dinnes)
if I had kids I wouldn't let them near them because for me there isn't enough proof that they're safe.
This is exactly one of the reasons why i'd hate to see them legalised.
There was a time when smoking cigarettes were considered healthy, it's taken centuries for the government to go full power into stopping the amount of people smoking.
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You just quoted me and added loads of **** i didn't say...
And made an assumption that i want them all imprisoned. I actually think a nice fine would do justice on the first 2 warnings..
I can't even be bothered with this argument now, you're twisting everything and adding things to try and justify taking drugs. Oh good I disgust a druggie. Bad times, that makes me really upset
They don't throw people in jail for it though. I've never known anyone but dealers to go to prison for it. You just get some pathetic warning like an underage drinker and a slap on the hand. Sadly...
What about the bolded text doesn't imply that you feel that way? Quit acting like you're being victimized when you're wanting to have people's rights taken away. Also, good job ignoring the whole other part of Dinnes' post. Have a nice day.
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What about the bolded text doesn't imply that you feel that way? Quit acting like you're being victimized when you're wanting to have people's rights taken away. Also, good job ignoring the whole other part of Dinnes' post. Have a nice day.
It implies that a little 'this is illegal what's your name? Ok now on your way' Isn't a suitable punishment for breaking a law?

HAH! Oh my god... I'm acting like i'm being victimised by saying you can't seem to accept that someone has an opposite view point to you... seriously?

I didn't ignore it. I read it, commented on what i agreed with, didn't agree with some of the other stuff and moved on. Apologies i didn't realise i had to repeat what i have already said in this thread again.

What is wrong with you?
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It implies that a little 'this is illegal what's your name? Ok now on your way' Isn't a suitable punishment for breaking a law?

HAH! Oh my god... I'm acting like i'm being victimised by saying you can't seem to accept that someone has an opposite view point to you... seriously?

I didn't ignore it. I read it, commented on what i agreed with, didn't agree with some of the other stuff and moved on. Apologies i didn't realise i had to repeat what i have already said in this thread again.

What is wrong with you?
Nothing's wrong with me, what appears to be wrong with you however is that you lack rational thought. You don't just read what just happens to agree with your opinion and move on, that's being intellectually dishonest. You have to challenge your viewpoints in order to progress as an individual.

Now, since I'm apparently blind in this discussion, can you please point out why exactly we should continue this "war on drugs", despite it being proven that it being illegal does nothing to lower drug use (some would say it increases it, in the case of the Netherlands and Portugal), despite millions upon millions being spent on chasing down pot smokers instead on focusing on violent crimes. Not to mention the millions spent on prisons and border/ airport security. Drug prohibition also causes people to be misinformed about drug information, and gangs constantly cut their drugs by adding highly dangerous things into them such as sleeping pills in order to raise profits, something that would be prohibited if they were legal and regulated. Not to mention that by keeping it illegal, you're single handedly funding massive gangs and cartels. The Mexican drug cartels gain so much from drugs being illegal that they have mass murders merely to show the government how much power they have. Please enlighten me, why we should continue turning our countries into prisons because you don't like being around someone who's high?

I can provide a plethora of links to prove my points, I only ask that you do the same.
OoFaithoO
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Apart from drugs which have SERIOUSLY adverse affects after single use, and, when they can be consumed in an adult environment where they aren't abused to excess, some drugs are okay for occasional recreation.

It's when people go overboard or become dependant that problems arise.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nothing's wrong with me, what appears to be wrong with you however is that you lack rational thought. You don't just read what just happens to agree with your opinion and move on, that's being intellectually dishonest. You have to challenge your viewpoints in order to progress as an individual.

Now, since I'm apparently blind in this discussion, can you please point out why exactly we should continue this "war on drugs", despite it being proven that it being illegal does nothing to lower drug use (some would say it increases it, in the case of the Netherlands and Portugal), despite millions upon millions being spent on chasing down pot smokers instead on focusing on violent crimes. Not to mention the millions spent on prisons and border/ airport security. Drug prohibition also causes people to be misinformed about drug information, and gangs constantly cut their drugs by adding highly dangerous things into them such as sleeping pills in order to raise profits, something that would be prohibited if they were legal and regulated. Not to mention that by keeping it illegal, you're single handedly funding massive gangs and cartels. The Mexican drug cartels gain so much from drugs being illegal that they have mass murders merely to show the government how much power they have. Please enlighten me, why we should continue turning our countries into prisons because you don't like being around someone who's high?

I can provide a plethora of links to prove my points, I only ask that you do the same.
Again... read what i said. I READ THAT WHOLE POST. I didn't feel the need to then argue the same points i have on this forum AGAIN to another person. It is already clearly written if he wants to see it.

So you're saying that by making them illegal and slightly harder to obtain means they are used more? and if they were legal and sold in stores people would use them less? I don't think so...
When someone is working and goes off on their break to smoke... if they were legal that person could go off and smoke weed in their break. come back and be laughing at a stapler for 10 minutes. That really sounds like the future i want to be in! Unless you're also saying there should be a law against smoking in your work breaks and before work... which you can't do.
And the dealers you just described are exactly the kind of people i was describing earlier in this thread that you told me was ignorant... oh my god :facepalm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads