The Student Room Group

Should James Holmes (Batman killing) get the death penalty?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
In my opinion, you can't condemn someone for killing another, and then condone the same treatment.
Original post by coastbeats
Society will never grow to a level of advancement that you and me would like because of our human nature: of our greed, self-loathing and lust of personal advancement. Humans will be humans.

Humans achieve some truly incredible things despite these flaws. We live in an era of greater enlightenment now than in the era of our forefathers, and continuing along the same vein I believe the people of future will be more enlightened than us.
Original post by Redolent
And then you get to sit back and wallow in the pleasure you get from knowing another man is suffering

How civilised.

When you innocent people in cold blood you deserve to suffer, its called retribution. What would you suggest behind your computer? a little slap on the wrist and say don't do it again? do you think Ian Huntley deserves to be released because hes depressed and suffering in prison?

I wonder if you'd be so liberal if he killed your parents in that cinema
They're keeping him in solitary for his own safety, if he does get life hell either have to be in solitary for life or someone will kill him in prison.
Reply 124
The death penalty is too good for him and so is a life in a plain old prison where he is kept in solitary confinement. He should be forced to do hard labour and actually be of use to someone instead of the government wasting taxes keeping this piece of **** alive. The work he does should be used to pay for the cost of his imprisonment.
I think he should be put in prison for life. That way he has to live each day to remember what he did and suffer.
Original post by AverageExcellence
When you innocent people in cold blood you deserve to suffer, its called retribution. What would you suggest behind your computer? a little slap on the wrist and say don't do it again? do you think Ian Huntley deserves to be released because hes depressed and suffering in prison?
Not at all, but that doesn't mean I'm sitting here with a grin on my face about it. That's something I could only readily forgive in the people who actually knew his victims.
Also, that's a complete strawman argument.

I wonder if you'd be so liberal if he killed your parents in that cinema
Of course not, but then my emotions would be in the way and I wouldn't be able to look at the situation objectively. If one of his potential victims had got to him and killed him before the police got there, I wouldn't hold it against them.
OP says "I don't support the death penalty"... "but"...

So you do then, don't you? There's no halfway house. You're either for it or against it. This isn't a false dichotomy either because even if you only call for it once, you're not against it.

I'm against it.

Killing him achieves nothing. He may well have some serious mental health issues to, but this isn't confirmed.
Not at all, but that doesn't mean I'm sitting here with a grin on my face about it. That's something I could only readily forgive in the people who actually knew is victims.

What do you mean?

Also, that's a complete strawman argument.

How is that a straw man? Its a very similar situation Hunley and Holmes. Both emotionally charged and similar debates raised. Its not a fallacy at all. Its common knowledge Huntley is suffering in prison and would find it more civillised to end his own life, same story with the 'crossbow cannibal'. I'm arguing if you don't agree with death nor agree with suffering in prison then there isn't much options than prompt release surely?
I am against the death penalty.

I have some objections (irreversibility where there is any question of guilt, reform of individuals who are capable of good) - which do/may not apply to this case.
1) unless he is suffering from some form of transient psychotic illness (unlikely, given level of planning gone into attack) he is unquestionably guilty of his crimes.
2) it sounds to me as though he may be a violent psychopath, and if that is truly the case then he is never going to be someone capable of reform or any sort of goodness that isn't entirely selfish in its nature - from what I understand of psychopathy.

BUT-
I am still opposed because I think it is wrong to kill any powerless individual where there is an alternative (which is just as safe and actually cheaper).
Imo, justice shouldn't be taken in anger (hot blood), and to kill someone in cold blood (where there is a choice not to do so) seems, well, evil. Even if the person being killed is evil. I think the state should always be merciful by example (obviously without compromising the safety and wellbeing of others).

Don't think I would be sad if he happened to die, but cold-blooded state sanctioned killing. is. wrong.
Reply 130
I don't think the death-penalty really achieves much. Also, we are not clued up on the full context as to why he carried out the vicious attack - he may well be mentally ill.
Original post by AverageExcellence
What do you mean?
If you're taking pleasure in the suffering of a person who killed someone you're close to, that's understandable, that's how human emotions work. You don't know this guy or his victims so I don't like how willing you are to take pleasure from his pain.
How is that a straw man? Its a very similar situation Hunley and Holmes. Both emotionally charged and similar debates raised. Its not a fallacy at all.
The straw man isn't the comparison between the two cases, it's the way you've taken my opposition to capital punishment and taking pleasure in criminals' suffering, and used it to make the leap that I'm some hyper liberal who thinks criminals should just get a slap on the wrist and be on their way.

Its common knowledge Huntley is suffering in prison and would find it more civillised to end his own life, same story with the 'crossbow cannibal'. I'm arguing if you don't agree with death nor agree with suffering in prison then there isn't much options than prompt release surely?
I'm not anti-euthanasia, if the guy wants to die and is mentally sound enough to make that call then someone should be allowed to end his life. I wasn't aware he wanted to die.
The death penalty is an easy cop out. I'd rather have him rot in prison by living a ****ty, boring and lonely day, everyday for the rest of his stinking and pathetic life.
Reply 133
I think people who want to take revenge on the guy, which is not the right way to go about it. Yes it's cliche but two wrongs dont make a right

Also, I reckon he will plead insanity or whatever the technical term is
No. I don't think the death penalty is permissible in any circumstance. Surely the state/executioner then also becomes a murderer?

People keep talking about the family of the victims wanting revenge or whatever- what about Holmes' family? What if they don't want to lose their son/brother/whatever, despite what he did?
If you're taking pleasure in the suffering of a person who killed someone you're close to, that's understandable, that's how human emotions work. You don't know this guy or his victims so I don't like how willing you are to take pleasure from his pain.

You can still be moved emotionally even if your completely disconnected from a situation. Especially when completely innocent children are gunned down for no apparent reason. The same can be said about 9/11. It can still be a tragedy for your fellow man.

The straw man isn't the comparison between the two cases, it's the way you've taken my opposition to capital punishment and taking pleasure in criminals' suffering, and used it to make the leap that I'm some hyper liberal who thinks criminals should just get a slap on the wrist and be on their way..

Maybe i might have taken what you said out of context, about being pleased they are suffering in jail, im not sure if you refer to the fact that its wrong to simply do that or the fact they suffer in jail is also uncivillised. In which case if they can't be executed or allowed to suffer in jail then there isn't much other option than release (unless you make jail a nice place - which is shouldn't be)

I'm not anti-euthanasia, if the guy wants to die and is mentally sound enough to make that call then someone should be allowed to end his life. I wasn't aware he wanted to die.

I think innocent people should have the choice, but not criminals. The freedom to take their life should be removed along with their liberty. They're in prison to be punished, they shouldn't be allowed to avoid it.
Reply 136
Original post by DorianGrayism
Sure.

Maybe next we should kill Robbers. If you have a confession, video and witnesses of the crimes.

Save even more money.

Oh yeah and then we can kill people who drop chewing gum and and...
No, that's not what I said at all, bother reading what I put and don't read what I don't put
Reply 137
I think he should be put into a psychiatric hospital and kept there for the rest of his life. The death penalty will solve nothing.
Reply 138
Some people don't deserve to live. Those that shoot babies and young children fall in to this category in my opinion.
Reply 139
Life time imprisonment is a better option than sentencing to death but the families whose loved ones are murdered in this event so for the sake of their personal satisfaction he should not survive any more and must be hanged till death and this must telecast livelly to. All the common public

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending