26.28%
Other (89)
13.84%
PrinceOfCats
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Latin is by far the most challenging A Level.
Having read the AQA specification, it looks piss easy compared to modern foreign languages. It seems to be largely based on texts and literature.
Trolley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In MFL you are only required to obtain the general sense of a passage, in Latin you must translate it all, something which modern language students are not used to.
belle_27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Originally posted by halfoflessthan50p
I think ive worked it out!

People who do arts subjects but one science subject (to contrast) pick Chemistry and so they find it hard.

I did Maths, Chem, Phys and English Lit at AS. Can you guess which one i found ridiculously hard?
You're going to hate me. I did History, Politics, Biology and Chemistry at AS Level and I now do History, Politics and Chemistry for A2.

I found Biology to be my hardest AS Level though I still got an A but AQA B is sooooo hard. Its really difficult to understand what they're looking for.

My easiest A2 is Chemistry, I just don't find it hard for some reason. But it means that I don't fit into your theory, but then again I break most statistics so maybe you should just ignore me :blushing:
PrinceOfCats
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Trolley)
In MFL you are only required to obtain the general sense of a passage, in Latin you must translate it all, something which modern language students are not used to.
On my MFL course you are required to translate an entire passage word for word. I find it remarkably easy both in Latin and in French.
motoroller
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it has to be biology! chemistry and physics arent too bad.....
arpeggio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh crap I just changed my AS options from Psychology to Chemistry yesterday. Is it really going to be that hard?!!
Apagg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In comparison to Psych, yes
arsenalfan.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
why is Chemistry considered to be hard? is it like REALLY hard?

is maths easy?

is computer studies easy?

is economics easy?
Eau
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
Chemistry is very hard for those who are just taking it for the sake of it. If you take Chemistry, you will have to treat it as a main subject, rather than for leisure, if you know what I mean.
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by imre)
why is Chemistry considered to be hard? is it like REALLY hard?

is maths easy?

is computer studies easy?

is economics easy?
If it's AQA Economics, it's very easy.
Obviously, the defnition of a difficult subject varies from person to person. I find essay writing simple, but mathematics tricky. People in my F Maths class are usually the other way round.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This is a travesty of normality. No one is in the position to decide the most challenging A Level subject simply because nobody has sat for everyone of them, and also because one's likeness towards a subject is very subjective (coincidence, eh) to even make such generalisations and comparisons.
lovelee-jublee
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I voted Biology... out of the 4 I'm doing (Bio, PE, English Lit/Lang and Psych) I'd say Biology is the hardest to grasp and understand, however that's the subject I've constantly been getting A's in! :p: I'd say psychology comes a close second - the content isn' that hard, but it's hard to revise as there's so much.
teachercol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nutter)
This is a travesty of normality. No one is in the position to decide the most challenging A Level subject simply because nobody has sat for everyone of them, and also because one's likeness towards a subject is very subjective (coincidence, eh) to even make such generalisations and comparisons.
Actually this study has been done nationally by CEM centre at Durham University! (ALIS)

http://www.cemcentre.org/RenderPage.asp?LinkID=11610000
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by teachercol)
Actually this study has been done nationally by CEM centre at Durham University! (ALIS)

http://www.cemcentre.org/RenderPage.asp?LinkID=11610000
Just because an organisation has done it doesn't mean that the results are accurate or dependable. It's like telling me that the Guardian UK rankings are accurate. Minimally, I'd say.
teachercol
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm - Durham University is somewhat more than an 'organisation'. They have been doing this for a long time and Prof Carol Fitzgibbon is regarded as the leading expert on the comparability of different subjects. She has researched for example whether there is any evidence that subjects are getting easier.
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I saw a government backed research paper which claimed General Studies was more difficult than English,History, Economics, and Biology, amongst others. So I highly doubt the veracity of these things.
teachercol
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Difficult simply means how hard it is to get a certain grade given a student of a particular ability. These things are not absolutes but depend on the exam board.

It can make a hard subject into an easy one simply by changing the grade boundaries!
packupthemoon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I find Eng Lit the most challenging personally, but I can see how Chem is winning. Once I drop Eng Lit ( ), it'll be my hardest, no doubt.

Having said that, I think Physics would probably eat my brain if I so much as attempted it...
College Guy 1987
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Music is much harder than most people give it credit for. For a start you have to be able to play an instrument to a high standard (which takes years of practice), and write your own compositions to a resaonable standard, and sit a 2.5 hour listening paper at the end of the year, covering anything and everything from the 15th century to now. I have no idea how it is ranked equally with the likes of Psychology :eek:
Stranded
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Physics!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (35)
46.05%
No (41)
53.95%

Watched Threads