5.44%
    Psychology
    3.42%
    Chemistry
    26.28%
    Other
    13.84%

ReputationRep:
    Latin is by far the most challenging A Level.
    Having read the AQA specification, it looks piss easy compared to modern foreign languages. It seems to be largely based on texts and literature.

ReputationRep:
    In MFL you are only required to obtain the general sense of a passage, in Latin you must translate it all, something which modern language students are not used to.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by halfoflessthan50p
    I think ive worked it out!

People who do arts subjects but one science subject (to contrast) pick Chemistry and so they find it hard.

I did Maths, Chem, Phys and English Lit at AS. Can you guess which one i found ridiculously hard?
    You're going to hate me. I did History, Politics, Biology and Chemistry at AS Level and I now do History, Politics and Chemistry for A2.

I found Biology to be my hardest AS Level though I still got an A but AQA B is sooooo hard. Its really difficult to understand what they're looking for.

My easiest A2 is Chemistry, I just don't find it hard for some reason. But it means that I don't fit into your theory, but then again I break most statistics so maybe you should just ignore me :blushing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trolley)
    In MFL you are only required to obtain the general sense of a passage, in Latin you must translate it all, something which modern language students are not used to.
    On my MFL course you are required to translate an entire passage word for word. I find it remarkably easy both in Latin and in French.

ReputationRep:
    it has to be biology! chemistry and physics arent too bad.....

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap I just changed my AS options from Psychology to Chemistry yesterday. Is it really going to be that hard?!!

ReputationRep:
    In comparison to Psych, yes

ReputationRep:
    why is Chemistry considered to be hard? is it like REALLY hard?

is maths easy?

is computer studies easy?

is economics easy?

Chemistry is very hard for those who are just taking it for the sake of it. If you take Chemistry, you will have to treat it as a main subject, rather than for leisure, if you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imre)
    why is Chemistry considered to be hard? is it like REALLY hard?

is maths easy?

is computer studies easy?

is economics easy?
    If it's AQA Economics, it's very easy.
    Obviously, the defnition of a difficult subject varies from person to person. I find essay writing simple, but mathematics tricky. People in my F Maths class are usually the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    This is a travesty of normality. No one is in the position to decide the most challenging A Level subject simply because nobody has sat for everyone of them, and also because one's likeness towards a subject is very subjective (coincidence, eh) to even make such generalisations and comparisons.

ReputationRep:
    I voted Biology... out of the 4 I'm doing (Bio, PE, English Lit/Lang and Psych) I'd say Biology is the hardest to grasp and understand, however that's the subject I've constantly been getting A's in! :p: I'd say psychology comes a close second - the content isn' that hard, but it's hard to revise as there's so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutter)
    This is a travesty of normality. No one is in the position to decide the most challenging A Level subject simply because nobody has sat for everyone of them, and also because one's likeness towards a subject is very subjective (coincidence, eh) to even make such generalisations and comparisons.
    Actually this study has been done nationally by CEM centre at Durham University! (ALIS)

http://www.cemcentre.org/RenderPage.asp?LinkID=11610000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachercol)
    Actually this study has been done nationally by CEM centre at Durham University! (ALIS)

http://www.cemcentre.org/RenderPage.asp?LinkID=11610000
    Just because an organisation has done it doesn't mean that the results are accurate or dependable. It's like telling me that the Guardian UK rankings are accurate. Minimally, I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm - Durham University is somewhat more than an 'organisation'. They have been doing this for a long time and Prof Carol Fitzgibbon is regarded as the leading expert on the comparability of different subjects. She has researched for example whether there is any evidence that subjects are getting easier.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a government backed research paper which claimed General Studies was more difficult than English,History, Economics, and Biology, amongst others. So I highly doubt the veracity of these things.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult simply means how hard it is to get a certain grade given a student of a particular ability. These things are not absolutes but depend on the exam board.

It can make a hard subject into an easy one simply by changing the grade boundaries!

ReputationRep:
    I find Eng Lit the most challenging personally, but I can see how Chem is winning. Once I drop Eng Lit ( ), it'll be my hardest, no doubt.

Having said that, I think Physics would probably eat my brain if I so much as attempted it...

ReputationRep:
    Music is much harder than most people give it credit for. For a start you have to be able to play an instrument to a high standard (which takes years of practice), and write your own compositions to a resaonable standard, and sit a 2.5 hour listening paper at the end of the year, covering anything and everything from the 15th century to now. I have no idea how it is ranked equally with the likes of Psychology :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Physics!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.