Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Being Irish watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    They are independent. So are the French. But they still have to defer to our royals when they come here. And their culture aint great tbh, it's in the shadow of ours.
    There are aspects of which the Irish are better than Britain, for example their HDI excels Britain by far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    There are aspects of which the Irish are better than Britain, for example their HDI excels Britain by far.
    What's HDI?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What's HDI?
    Hourly Drink Intake?

Hourly Drink Intake?
    Since we've already ascertained that the booze binging culture in Britain exceeds that of any other European country, that doesn't make sense since the poster said that Ireland's HDI exceeded that of Britain's.

And indeed, a quick google search tells us that it means Human Development Index.

The HDI combines normalized measures of life expectancy, literacy, educational attainment, and GDP per capita for countries worldwide. It is claimed as a standard means of measuring human development—a concept that, according to the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), refers to the process of widening the options of persons, giving them greater opportunities for education, health care, income, employment, etc. The basic use of HDI is to measure a country's development.
    Hard luck, ns...hehehe

But I ask myself the question - and I know that Howie has considered this question too - would I rather live in Ireland than where I am at the moment? No, not presently, but I might very well seriously contemplate it at a different point in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

But I ask myself the question - and I know that Howie has considered this question too - would I rather live in Ireland than where I am at the moment? No, not presently, but I might very well seriously contemplate it at a different point in my life.
    The trouble is, like Scotland , they are culturally overshadowed by England. I mean they watch BBC more than RTE ffs.

And actually, they have a lower life expectancy and higher suicide rates than us.

The trouble is, like Scotland , they are culturally overshadowed by England. I mean they watch BBC more than RTE ffs.

And actually, they have a lower life expectancy and higher suicide rates than us.
    In Connemara they prefer to watch TG4 - the Irish media TV channel.

We are somewhat culturally overshadowed by the US...most of our programmes come from there or were inspired from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    In Connemara they prefer to watch TG4 - the Irish media TV channel.

We are somewhat culturally overshadowed by the US...most of our programmes come from there or were inspired from there.
    Not most. Only the cheap bought ones, but hardly most. Most of our acclaime shows are British.

ReputationRep:
    The Irish must surely have contributed one of the greatest 'per capita' volumes of notable works to English-language literature, philosophy, theatre etc.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.