Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankan)
    Well you aren't getting it. It took me three years to get it and now I have it and all my friends signatures in it. That's worth saving.

What is that thing you hold in your hand? :confused:
    Heh, everyone asks that. It's my friends airzooka, basically blows huge amounts of air in one direction and messes up desks from distance. As you can tell i'm a little bit mad. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa's Mum)
    Hi, saw your post and my daughter was accepted there but thinking it is to isolated and remote, not much for a social life.
    Being in the Scottish lowlands (as opposed to the highlands in the north/northwest of the country), St Andrews is far from being isolated and remote - in fact, the nearest city (Dundee) is just 13 miles away, a journey which can be done in around 15-20 minutes by car or bus.

Although St Andrews is a small town, it is possible to have a very active social life in town. There are around two dozen pubs in town, and if drinking isn't for her then the university has the largest number of student-run societies of any university in the UK (not just Scotland, the whole UK). Yes, it's a small town (12,000 residents), but 6,000 students come to study in the town every year - that's a LOT of students to meet in a very small area; unlike in a city, which could well have 10,000+ students, but those students would likely be spread all over the city.

ReputationRep:
    Lisa's Mum, I was reading some of your concerns on your other thread and would like to add my opinions.

Firstly, Edinburgh is not a dangerous city. My Mother is from Edinburgh and I have lots of family living there both in the centre and in the suburbs. I've stayed in Edinburgh lots and have never had any problems. I've walked around at nighttime and have never felt threatened. The people in Scotland are generally very friendly, much more so than those in England.

Having defended Edinburgh, I'll now defend St Andrews. =D
    I know a wide variety of people in St Andrews and people of all social inclinations enjoy living and studying there. Although there are no nightclubs in St Andrews, there are some very lively bars and Dundee is just a short bus-ride away. The University Union puts on a bus especially for St Andrews students back from Dundee in the evenings, ensuring your daughter's safe return.

I hope that these comments were helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa's Mum)
    Hi, saw your post and my daughter was accepted there but thinking it is to isolated and remote, not much for a social life. She is a Psych major and thinking Edinburgh, Glasgow and now may change Glasgow as hearing of thread I have under Lisa's Mum of issues there to Exeter. Also, was accepted to Nottingham, crime issues there and Leeds. She is from Sacramento and I see you are in Cali, also. Did you apply with an IB score, like she? Did you visit St. Andrews at all? A classmate decided on this school also but Lisa is just not 100 percent sure and not as fun as some of the other choices.
    Having read your locked thread about your daughter's university choices, I found it funny that St Andrews was not cultural enough for your daughter, yet she didn't like the fact that St Andrews had only one Starbucks :confused: . I really do hope you had the chance to visit the universities that Lisa is considering, as it is quite difficult to decide were you would like to spend the next four ( our three) years of your life just based on the opinions of people online and some ranking tables. Perhaps she should come post on TSR herself, because as an American who is going to the UK for school as well, I found this forum quite helpful. I do hope your daughter is happy at Edinburgh (it is a great city!), or with whatever decision that she makes. .

ReputationRep:
    Lisa's Mum, having lived near Sacramento, I can say it's a safe bet that Sac is way more dangerous than even the most ghetto-iest part of Scotland could ever hope to be.

ReputationRep:
    Course: Arabic & Management
    Conditions: Unconditional
    Current Location: I'm from Brunei (Borneo Island) but I spent the past year at the National Uni of Singapore (HELL).

Before my year at university, I was on a gap year... so I've pretty much wasted two whole years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahxx)
    Current Location: I'm from Brunei (Borneo Island) but I spent the past year at the National Uni of Singapore (HELL).

Before my year at university, I was on a gap year... so I've pretty much wasted two whole years

ReputationRep:
    hi hannah! i'm studying arabic also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahxx)

dont worry ive wasted two years of my life too!
    course: theological studies
    conditions:unconditional
    current locationome **** hole that looks like dundee but even colder n New Zealand (i have no idea why im here)

ReputationRep:
    Oh my gosh Smallsy I LOVE you *hugs*

Sorry.. you're the first Theological Studies I've seen. =D Make sure you come along to St Mary's Society events in fresher's week.

ReputationRep:
    The wait is horrible, I just want my results now to see if I'm coming to St. Andrews....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solid_L)
    The wait is horrible, I just want my results now to see if I'm coming to St. Andrews....
    When do you learn of your results in August?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think its the 17th:afraid:

ReputationRep:
    it IS the 17th

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, you can check Track - before you actually receive your results- to see if the uni has changed your offer to unconditional (I believe they are informed of your grades a couple days in advance). I may be talking out of my arse right now, but I'm certain I've read this somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    i have also heard this! my teacher was telling me this.

ReputationRep:
    and all the unis know about 3 days before, your school knows in advance too

ReputationRep:
    Scary.... so I'll be on track all the time just like I was a few months ago lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solid_L)
    Scary.... so I'll be on track all the time just like I was a few months ago lol.
    Track will probably be down due to a server overload. Might be best to check in the wee hours of the morning, hah

ReputationRep:
    "hah" <--i like the evil laugh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 3, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.