Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Eh? I don't know which versions of London or Manchester you were in but I've never seen any more homeless peeople than in those cities at night.
    Ive seen quite a few tramps in london, they tend to sleep and beg next to cash machines. i suppose their stragedy is: you can't lie about having money, if youv'e just been to the cash machine. That was mainly oxford street, and the little hidden places in london, where i went

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.ndy)
    Ive seen quite a few tramps in london, they tend to sleep and beg next to cash machines. i suppose their stragedy is: you can't lie about having money, if youv'e just been to the cash machine. That was mainly oxford street, and the little hidden places in london, where i went
    Yea, that post was worded quite badly - I mean there's more bums in London and Manchester at night than anywhere else. The ones in Manchester also have the habit of standing by cash machines.

ReputationRep:
    Okay can I just say, do any of you know how easy it is to become homeless? wAYS TO BECOME HOMELESS 1) Lose job, get behind on rent payments, lose home, 2) Leave Psychopathic family member, mates get sick of you kipping on their couches, homeless 3) Lose job, get behind on mortgage repayments, house repossessed, 4) Benefits agency leave landlord waiting for payments, landlord gets annoyed, tenant gets evicted, homeless 5) drug or mental health problem. Then once your evicted you can't get a job or benefits without an address and you can't get a home address without a job or benefits. So it's easy to get there and hard to get back from there. Although if anyone who is mocking the homeless now falls into any of the above catagories then please let me know so I can spit on you, shout at you or threaten you just like many people do to the homeless now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turbochargedk)
    Okay can I just say, do any of you know how easy it is to become homeless? wAYS TO BECOME HOMELESS 1) Lose job, get behind on rent payments, lose home, 2) Leave Psychopathic family member, mates get sick of you kipping on their couches, homeless 3) Lose job, get behind on mortgage repayments, house repossessed, 4) Benefits agency leave landlord waiting for payments, landlord gets annoyed, tenant gets evicted, homeless 5) drug or mental health problem. Then once your evicted you can't get a job or benefits without an address and you can't get a home address without a job or benefits. So it's easy to get there and hard to get back from there. Although if anyone who is mocking the homeless now falls into any of the above catagories then please let me know so I can spit on you, shout at you or threaten you just like many people do to the homeless now.
    :rofl: I like your attitude.. "so i can spit on you" :rofl: nice... :yy:

Lets hope you don't end up in any of them catagories, or i might be spitting at you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aetheria)
    Not able to pay your rent? Get a job. Find a cheaper place to rent.
    Drug problem? That is not a valid excuse for anything :mad:
    Mental health problem? Get it sorted.
    Psycho family member? Report them.
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, same, I'm a girl and quite small. When with my male friends, I let them say "no sorry" and they NEVER get any crap at all...

I usually say "no sorry" if I don't have my headphones on (which isn't all that often) but I always get told "liar" or they say "yeah right". I never carry change anyway so it's never a lie. I'm not some rude cow; sorry if it seems that way, I guess I'm used to the city and if you've spent any time in London you'll see that no one even looks at you or makes eye contact.

I've noticed the homeless problem is more prevalent in small towns, such as Cambridge, Oxford, touristy areas but where there are also rich people. It doesn't happen in cities. Never happened to me in London, Manchester, Newcastle or Liverpool and I've spent some time in each; been hassled by BI sellers though, who all have to wear special vests. In the small towns, the BI sellers don't wear vests (eg that guy by Sainsburys in Cambridge - where's his vest? If he was in a city he wouldn't be allowed to sell it without his luminous vest on).

I guess cities are better at enforcing the "no homeless" rule than towns. I know it's illegal to be homeless in Liverpool, which is a great idea. Last thing you need when dragging small children round shops is to be sworn at. Very intimidating when you're looking after a little kid.
    Illegal to be homeless? I wasn't aware that it was a choice.
    (Like the vagrancy laws of Elizabethan England? There was I thinking we'd progessed.)

ReputationRep:
    Not able to pay your rent? Get a job. Find a cheaper place to rent.
    Drug problem? That is not a valid excuse for anything :mad:
    Mental health problem? Get it sorted.
    Psycho family member? Report them.

It's not "easy" to become homeless at all. If you get yourself a job and work hard, it's not difficult to work your way up to a better salary. For example, at 16 you could have a salary of £12000 (and that's up north). That's > minimum wage and as a single person it's easily enough to support yourself.

If someone doesn't have the education to get a job, that's totally their own fault. Education is free up to the age of 18, and then if you have no money, university is also free, with loans and grants (which you don't have to repay) given. There really isn't an excuse any more.
    I'm afraid it's very easy to become homeless*. I've already addressed the issue of (non) care in the community in another post.

It's not that easy to get a chemical imbalance in the brain 'sorted'. And there are a whole host of moral dilemmas involved in reporting a violent family member.

You don't have to repay student loans? That's news to me. *Goes off to bank to cancel direct debit*

And, as for education, have you tried to focus on studying while living in the same house as a violent alcoholic (and trying to protect your mother at the same time)? Or while you are being sexually abused? Or while you are being bullied?** There are a whole host of reasons why people don't excel in formal education. I understand and sympathise with the unpleasant experiences you have depicted in an earlier post but here you are coming across as someone who is seriously in need of an empathy implant.

*Bearing in mind that you don't have to be living in a cardboard box or a shop doorway to be legally homeless. See http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-153.cfm

**Hmmm...I've just had a rather good idea for a new Channel 4 Reality TV show.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.