Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Nerd King)
    Yes, well you should have taken other rankings into account. Nottingham and Leicester are certainly no Oxbridge university. They do not even compare to UCL, LSE, KCL or Imperial. :rolleyes:
    No-one is comparing them to any of those universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    How does that have any relevance to what I said? Plus, you were going on about league tables being important earlier, by that logic I could say UCL (my firm choice) > Oxford according to the QS world rankings. This is obviously not the case, so eliminates your previous argument...
    You're feeding the troll.
    If you see his other posts you'll see what he's up to.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I did!

Offers ranging from Northumbria, to East Anglia, Sheffield Hallam and Liverpool, and I rejected them all to go to Teesside. Normally a lot of people don't believe me, but I have a print screen to prove it

Do I regret it? No. I was never interested in what uni's appear to be the best in relation to where they stand in league tables, I went off how my course was rated by whatuni.com. And I am so glad I listened to myself instead of others around me! A close friend of mine applied to 3 of the same uni's as I, except she rejected Teesside and went to Northumbria instead. I'm not saying we are twins nor had the same academic ability etc but we were pretty similar, and she dropped out in February because she wasn't receiving adequate support whilst at uni and had rubbish lecturers, and that mattered to me, so I made sure I chose the correct university for me through thorough research.

Go with your heart and not with your head and you will never regret anything in life

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I did!

Offers ranging from Northumbria, to East Anglia, Sheffield Hallam and Liverpool, and I rejected them all to go to Teesside. Normally a lot of people don't believe me, but I have a print screen to prove it

Do I regret it? No. I was never interested in what uni's appear to be the best in relation to where they stand in league tables, I went off how my course was rated by whatuni.com. And I am so glad I listened to myself instead of others around me! A close friend of mine applied to 3 of the same uni's as I, except she rejected Teesside and went to Northumbria instead. I'm not saying we are twins nor had the same academic ability etc but we were pretty similar, and she dropped out in February because she wasn't receiving adequate support whilst at uni and had rubbish lecturers, and that mattered to me, so I made sure I chose the correct university for me through thorough research.

Go with your heart and not with your head and you will never regret anything in life

ReputationRep:
    Declined Manchester and Leeds for chemistry to go to liverpool. just personal preference

ReputationRep:
    I only applied to one, so...

ReputationRep:
    When I initially applied for Zoology I did the exact opposite - got offers from Bristol, Imperial, Edinburgh, Nottingham, and accepted Imperial largely because it was the most prestigious and so I assumed the course would be the best. Obviously at 17 I didn't necessarily know what I would consider to be good or bad about the course structure, needless to say I left after first year and am now about to begin Vet Med a good few years later. Aside from the course not being good, the people/atmosphere/place in general just wasn't for me.

Honestly if I could go back I would have chosen either Bristol or Edinburgh, I just got sucked into Imperial being ranked within the top 10 in the world etc.. you have to choose where you'll be happiest and where feels right, that matters so much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadelyndsey)
    Yep, I did!

This is the same as me! What course are you doing? Jve applied for adult nursing. I got offers from Teesside, Northumbria, Lincoln, Nottingham (ranked the second best for nursing in the uk) and had an invitation to interview at Leeds met but turned them all down for Teesside. The student satisfaction there was a lot higher! I used the uni stats website and it just seemed Teesside was so much better for support and everything. I felt more at home there too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meat is Murder)
    Many people in this thread have declined Durham for either York or Sheffield. Telling.
    This is great !! It means that people prefer York or Sheffield more regardless of having a little less prestige than Durham. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Nerd King)
    They are both bad universities, it wouldn't really matter which one you went to.
    Absolutely not !! Both of them are prestigious and also internationally recognised. If you want to define bad universities, they should be something out of top 30 (like Kingston , Westminster , UWE) or any prestigious Uni that lack morality and attitude (like Birmingham , Loughborough).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    Declined UCL for Sheffield. Don't regret it at all, and to be honest, most people around me didnt blame me for doing it after finding out what my interview was like.
    Although I know nothing of the universities, I'm curious to know what your interview was like?

ReputationRep:
    Declined Durham for Nottingham.
    I absolutely loved Nottingham when I went there, so I really don't regret this decision! Durham might be a good university, but I just felt that I wasn't in the right place at the open day. I felt really left out at the college, didn't get to see many of the things I wanted to see and what I did see didn't seem too different from Nottingham anyway...but well, good I went for Nottingham then

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    declined imperial for ucl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Rejected Harvard for Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellitus94)
    Although I know nothing of the universities, I'm curious to know what your interview was like?
    it was awful, how i got an offer i havent got a clue. In my defence i'd been up since 4am that day, and my interview wasnt until nearly 3pm... You know you were going to love spending 4 years there when the first thing the academic who was interviewing you says is 'you better not have a really strong northern accent otherwise i wont be able to understand you'. I hadn't even said a word at that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prospective UK)
    Absolutely not !! Both of them are prestigious and also internationally recognised. If you want to define bad universities, they should be something out of top 30 (like Kingston , Westminster , UWE) or any prestigious Uni that lack morality and attitude (like Birmingham , Loughborough).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He wasn't being serious though; just practicing for his trollology exam.

ReputationRep:
    I declined Warwick and Lancaster in favour of UEA, just because their Literature and Creative Writing course is very well-renowned. Plus being the number 1 uni for student satisfaction is always nice...

ReputationRep:
    it was awful, how i got an offer i havent got a clue. In my defence i'd been up since 4am that day, and my interview wasnt until nearly 3pm... You know you were going to love spending 4 years there when the first thing the academic who was interviewing you says is 'you better not have a really strong northern accent otherwise i wont be able to understand you'. I hadn't even said a word at that point.
    Wow, if it were me I'd have used my strong Scottish accent and said "Well, it's a gid thing av goat a Scottish accent then, int it!". That is ridiculous, no wonder you declined it!

ReputationRep:
    Id of walked out at that point and said you were going to sue for discrimation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astrojg)
    Id of walked out at that point and said you were going to sue for discrimation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My german teacher was impressed I didn't tbh.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.