Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leave Private Schools Alone! - Thread To End The Private School Debate. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    Fair enough you actually sound like you have a well balanced opinion, unlike some of the views held by other private school kids.
    Thank you. Same to you, which is a change - my sister tells me half of the kids in her year see private school kids as rich, spoilt toffs. Fact is, we're divided pretty much in half - you have the ones who've been in prep schools since foetus-age, but who are normally still pretty normal and down-to-earth (though some of them are idiots/brats) and the well, regular ones. Like me

(Original post by poiuy)
    Do you know or have even seen all 1000 kids in your college to make a judgement?
    Yes, it is crowded, and I've been there nearly 2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    Thank you. Same to you, which is a change - my sister tells me half of the kids in her year see private school kids as rich, spoilt toffs. Fact is, we're divided pretty much in half - you have the ones who've been in prep schools since foetus-age, but who are normally still pretty normal and down-to-earth (though some of them are idiots/brats) and the well, regular ones. Like me
    Well we remember the snobby ignorant private school kids looking down at us more than the normal ones. Likewise your going to remember the thick ignorant state school kids calling you posh w*nkers more than the normal ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    Well we remember the snobby ignorant private school kids looking down at us more than the normal ones. Likewise your going to remember the thick ignorant state school kids calling you posh w*nkers more than the normal ones.
    True. Funniest moment of my life - a guy on his bike yelling obscenities at me from across the road (I was in my uniform) then banging into a tree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    Yeah the scholarships where the majority are 10 % off. Where instead of shelling out £15000, it's only £13500..... The idea of charity is that it is for the ill and poor, not the rich's idea of charity for themselves.
    Id be very happy only having to shell out $15,000... but none the less most scholarships being means tested can give a far higher discount, ive known several people on 100% scholarships, besides so what if every man and his dog doesnt get them? theyre designed for people who are promising... you wouldnt give any old moron a free pass now would you?

ReputationRep:
    I hate the way that the focus is always on dragging the rich kids down to the poor kids' level by banning the private schools rather than boosting the poor kids up to the rich kids' level by improving the current normal schools. Reducing the overall education of our population is a stupid thing to do, it's bad for the individual and for the country. Also **** any government that tries to stop me furthering the intellectual development of my kid if I have the means, just to be "fair" to some other kid. My kid's intellectual developlment is nothing that the state has any right to meddle with.

Anyway, what's if I decided to spend all of my free time on teaching my kid myself in addition to what he gets taught a free school? That would give him/her an "unfair" advantage (ie. just an advantage really) over the rest, but how/why should you put a stop to that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    The private school debate still rages on. However, it is clear that arguments against private schools do not have much of a strong basis upon which to stand.

Some arguments against private schools range from education being a fundamental human right to socioeconomic segregation.

However, a few simple points will illuminate the silliness that arguments against private schools are basked in:

- Would you ban private hospitals/healthcare?

- Would you ban private companies/services?

- The fact is that most private schools are private institutions. They provide services to those who wish to make use of them - why on Earth would you want to ban them if they are operating within the law?
    there are also some fundamental misunderstandings re the status of schools GM / Academy / 'Free' Schools are all effectively private schools , just they have block contracts with the state .

prior to Labour style comprehensivisation ' direct grant ' schools were also private schools with block contracts ...

the assisted places scheme provided state support to cover some or all of the cost of private school places - on application by parents

it's the Labourite policy of jealousy that has driven the 'private schools are evil' type of thinking

the dum#bing down to the lowest common denominator so apparent in the policies of the Blair and Brown governments - as seen with the rapid removal of the APS and the reversion of GM schools to LEA control while a 'ideologically sound' version to suit the Labour leadership was engineered ( academies)

- The existence of private schools should not be blamed for the poor quality of education in *some* state schools. Such is the fault of the government and the government alone.
    there is no evidence to support this argument - what littlle evidence could be spun to support this reflects the issues with parenteral support in some areas where the second generation dolelite heredity labour voters failed to engage - living on the fantasy that Arthur will comes marching down the road and re-open t'pit ...

- The "wealth and unfairness" argument is ridiculous - surely, you would also be arguing against private healthcare and private hospitals? Surely you would be arguing against private car services?

What do you think? Surely arguments against private schools are petty and ridiculous - if you would ban private schools, you would also ban private healthcare and private tutors, no?
    it's jealousy based - if there is a adequate to good system that provides universal provision what is the issue with people choosing to pay to use other services .

if you want to focus on structural change - make a stronger community focus part of the tax breaks and charity status of private schools - so they have to choose tax breaks etc and community involvement , bursaries etc or to run as a pure business for those willing to pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Id be very happy only having to shell out $15,000... but none the less most scholarships being means tested can give a far higher discount, ive known several people on 100% scholarships, besides so what if every man and his dog doesnt get them? theyre designed for people who are promising... you wouldnt give any old moron a free pass now would you?
    Quite a lot of private school kids on scholarships really aren't that bright they're just rich enough to go to private school. As most scholarships are only 10 percent the system is based on money, not intelligence. The majority of the brightest kids wouldn't be able to afford to go to private school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    Quite a lot of private school kids on scholarships really aren't that bright they're just rich enough to go to private school. As most scholarships are only 10 percent the system is based on money, not intelligence. The majority of the brightest kids wouldn't be able to afford to go to private school.
    once again i feel youre drawing some very hasty and sweeping conclusions from very few actual facts...

The majority of scholars ive come accross have all been on40%+ but then again its going to vary from school to school so its fairly academic debating that particular line.

Maybe not maybe so, who knows but either way it may well be an imperfect system but considering there isnt really a better one at hand unless someone decides to start testing the entire population of students it works the best no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    Yeah the scholarships where the majority are 10 % off. Where instead of shelling out £15000, it's only £13500..... The idea of charity is that it is for the ill and poor, not the rich's idea of charity for themselves.
    This is completely incorrect. Whilst many scholarships may offer upwards of 40%, a number of scholarships offer up to 100% off tuition fees - I know this for a fact. What's more is that there's also a bursary on top of that, if needed. At the worst, parents only need pay for uniforms and whatnot and even then a bursary might help in such cases.

There are also pots organised by individual schools whereby generous wealthy parents or whatnot can donate in order to pay the school fees of less well off pupils.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing tothrow in the mix would be the 'inadvertant' recreation of the APS by virtue of a voucher scheme working like the nursery vouchers for 3 and 4 year olds... Throw in some of widening access stuff from HE fees and you'd have soething that would please everyone bar the lazy arse teachers who moaned over GM , acadamies and Free Schools and the dumb it down collectivists and handicapper generals of the loony left.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.