Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We should be organ donors by default, not "non-donor" by default? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should everyone be an organ donor by default, requiring them to opt-out if they wish?
    Yes, people should be donors by default and you can opt-out if you wish
    59.24%
    No, people should be non-donors by default and opt-in
    40.76%

ReputationRep:
    When people die they in effect pay inheritance tax to the state. You could paint that as stealing their possessions in the same way. When you go into hospital you expect them to do everything within their power to save your life. Upon your death your possessions going towards their doing this can be justified in the same way as the tax. Society has fostered your success, given to you when you needed it and you give back so that it can continue doing that. Nobody is forcing you to use the hospitals and nobody is forcing you to live in this country but if you choose to then its give and take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    I don't have to have the same reasons as sympathisers to be right.
    No, but you attributed an analogy to me, that was clearly what I had argued against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green.tea)
    When people die they in effect pay inheritance tax to the state. You could paint that as stealing their possessions in the same way. When you go into hospital you expect them to do everything within their power to save your life. Upon your death your possessions going towards their doing this can be justified in the same way as the tax. Society has fostered your success, given to you when you needed it and you give back so that it can continue doing that. Nobody is forcing you to use the hospitals and nobody is forcing you to live in this country but if you choose to then its give and take.
    I would like to add to your post, by asking those who do not agree with an opt out, if they or their loved ones needed a transplant would they reject it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    I'm on your side here, but that kind of argument is not good.

You're confusing two distinct things here:

*whether one would accept an organ.
    and
    *whether one believes that organs should be taken by default.

The two are distinct and you haven't left any room for those who WOULD accept an organ, and donate one, but still believe that they should not be taken by default.
    Yes point taken, but I made an earlier post, with the assumption that to please the opt in voters, it could remain as it is, with the proviso that if you do not give your consent to use of your organs on death, then you could not recieve one, a sort of insurance policy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an organ donor and I completely agree it should be an opt out system. I have discussed this with people many times and I've often had people say "I'd love to be an organ donor but I never got round to registering". Whilst I appreciate people may not want to donate for religious reasons they still have the choice to opt out and it's something that could save lives. Let's face it, once you're dead you're not going to need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaegon Targaryen)
    That's going far beyond my point and you know it . We have to be logical here , there is no point in working on methods of extending life when we are not going to have the capacity for such populous.We have future generations to think about you know. If we have the technology and progression in agriculture to fit such a scope then I am all for immortality mate , but we do not want to end up like China in every country , The Road by Cormac McCarthy, Utopia etc. These are decisions which could be detrimental to the human race , they cant be rushed.
    Just intrigued... say that in the future your child or your sister or someone you care for became ill and needed a transplant as the only way to save their life... Would you still stand there and say 'there's no point working on methods to extend life'? Essentially denying them of the organ and signing their death warrant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    So I have to fill out a form to retain ownership of my own organs? Nice.
    Well you have to do the same with an opt-out system. So I don't see how the system I suggested is any worse in that regard.
    At least with the system I suggested, nobody is opting in automatically (and therefore potentially involuntarily).

Also to consider with your proposal is that it makes things too definitive: someone might say 'no' to that when they're 18, and then drop dead when they're 70. At that point, they might not have a problem with it, and their family might know this, but they would be powerless to act.
    I agree, but an opt-out system does exactly the same. Suppose someone says they want to donate, but decides at some point before death decides that they don't want to anymore, but doesn't get round to filling out a new form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexxaa)
    I think you have a point, but I have to disagree. I would donate my organs as I wouldn't need them if I was dead. They could save someone's life instead of rotting away in a coffin. :rolleyes:
    However, some people have religious beliefs and even personal reasons not to donate and that's their right. Like someone said, they're your organs not anyone else's. You should decide on them.
    If one wants to donate they just sign up
    I agree

I absolutely 100% agree with and would advocate organ donation - I think it's an incredible thing to do and I can happily say that when I pass on, medical professionals can do with my body as they see fit!
    However, I think that an 'opt-out' system will cause far too great an upset; I'm sure there are many people who don't like the thought of their body being tampered with when they're gone. Whilst I feel that when I'm gone, I'm gone, I know that this isn't the view of everyone - and it isn't fair to presume it is.

Education, in my eyes, is still the best way to go. Making people aware of the choices they have and seeing what good it can do will perhaps convert more people towards becoming organ donors. But we still need to have a choice. Discussing the matter with your family is important; even if for whatever reason you don't get round to registering, according to the NHS Organ Donation website, they can still act on your behalf based on your wishes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Well you have to do the same with an opt-out system. So I don't see how the system I suggested is any worse in that regard.
    At least with the system I suggested, nobody is opting in automatically (and therefore potentially involuntarily).
    Well I think neither is preferable in all honesty

I agree, but an opt-out system does exactly the same. Suppose someone says they want to donate, but decides at some point before death decides that they don't want to anymore, but doesn't get round to filling out a new form.
    So we should just keep it opt-in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    So we should just keep it opt-in.
    I agree. I'm just saying, if we really needed more organs, I think my suggestion is the next best thing, as opposed to opt-out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SakuraTotoro)
    I agree

I absolutely 100% agree with and would advocate organ donation - I think it's an incredible thing to do and I can happily say that when I pass on, medical professionals can do with my body as they see fit!
    However, I think that an 'opt-out' system will cause far too great an upset; I'm sure there are many people who don't like the thought of their body being tampered with when they're gone. Whilst I feel that when I'm gone, I'm gone, I know that this isn't the view of everyone - and it isn't fair to presume it is.

Education, in my eyes, is still the best way to go. Making people aware of the choices they have and seeing what good it can do will perhaps convert more people towards becoming organ donors. But we still need to have a choice. Discussing the matter with your family is important; even if for whatever reason you don't get round to registering, according to the NHS Organ Donation website, they can still act on your behalf based on your wishes.
    Exactly my point.
    But, the thing with family is that they probably wouldn't care at that exact moment about someone else's life and would feel really said about the death of their family member. So it's better to register yourself.

Some people just feel squeamish about their body being torn into parts and are just uncomfortable. I don't know about religion, I know it's a factor, but I have no idea about the figures.

I agree with the education part, I don't think many people sit there wondering about whether they should donate their organs simply because no one wants to think about their "end". Others are just not aware or "don't have time".
    It's definitely something everyone should consider, but not be kind of made into doing it by the system of being a donor by default.

ReputationRep:
    Some people may not wish for their body to be used. Perhaps due to their religion or personal views, they may not want their body to be used in such a way. I personally am already an organ donor (cue a Monty Python sketch) but I totally agree, as long as the government make it clear that everyone is an organ donor automatically, but you can opt out if you wish, then that's fine, I don't see how people can get upset about that.

ReputationRep:
    Most people don't have a problem with organ transplant - they just forget or are to lazy to sign up to the list, so hen they die their organs go to waste.

The only people who get off their bums and sign up to it are the people who feels strongly enough about it.

You can bet your bottom dollar a lot more people would be willing to get OUT of organ donation ( for whatever reason ),but the vast majority still remain on the list.

That said - the ease of organ donation DOES seem to make people less worried about the problems associated with drinking, smoking etc. So even though we'd have more organs available this way, we should still keep the regulations tight on who should be allowed one, otherwise you could get some people going through 3 livers in a lifetime because they refuse to quite drinking, which is a waste of the NHS time and money.

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree with organ donation, but the idea that I would have to reclaim my organs if I decided against donation is crazy. Is it really a donation if you're automatically on a donor list (and have to opt-out), opposed to if you make the willing and active choice to give your organs?

ReputationRep:
    The government shouldn't own my organs by default you lunatic :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I saw a presentation about this very topic not long ago. They said that in the UK only 30% or so of the population are organ donors, but in a country such as Germany where you are automatically opted in as an organ donor 99.4% are donors. This vast difference is mainly due to people not knowing how to sign up in the UK, and therefore not being able to donate. It is also not against any religion in the UK apart from Jehovah’s Witnesses, so that shouldn’t be a problem if we were to switch to people being opted in as organ donors.

ReputationRep:
    Wales (where I currently live) is actually trying to do this as we speak, I think they are having some difficulties with it (because of all the issues discussed here) but they are at least trying.

And good on them. It should be so.

Also, I can't stand the people that say that wouldn't want to be a donor when I'm sure they would be perfectly happy to accept a heart/kidney/lung etc etc etc. Disgusting.

It is also totally wrong that regardless of me having a donor card and being on the register should my parents (or later on any husband) disagree with it then my wishes will be ignored. I didn't realise I was still in a system where I am either owned by my parents or my husband! It should be that if a person is on the register then that is that, their organs are harvested regardless of next of kin.

ReputationRep:
    The point that those (most of those that is) who object to opt-out organ donation is this: At what point does the state have the authority to claim de facto consent of your organs?

And for clarification. This is spoken by someone who IS an organ donor. I have no issues with my organs being used by the state after my death so long as I've given them my consent.

ReputationRep:
    But I also think there's room for the argument of you can't own anything once you're dead... it is not as if the government is saying that they own your organs now and therefore can bump you off whenever they wish in order to harvest them. I guess that is just my view on it, if it was making it compulsory then I would be agreeing with those who don't like the idea. But you can opt out, and if any change does occur I think it would be very easy and highly publicized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    I think they should change the current system (which is you have to opt in to be a donor) so that everyone is a donor unless they specifically opt out. Just how many lives this could save per year is probably staggering!

Anyone else agree? Would be really nice if Government implemented it....

So many people wouldn't mind donating their organs- but don't make the effort to get an organ donor card.
    some countries do that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.