Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mamataj)
    Hi everyone,

So I'm really curious, I've been watching the 2005 series from the start again and have reached the Doctor and Martha's stage. Is it just me or does anyone else not like her? I think it's more Freema Agyeman than the actual character of Martha Jones but she ruined it for me, I hated her.

Thoughts?
    I think in some cases that Martha was a good character. However, Freema Agyeman is quite a bad actress, and her emotions in it were shown dreadfully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    He sort of did. Yetis are the Abominable SNOWMEN after all.
    That is a fair point and that episode was a prequel to the other two yeti stories. I just miss the old yeti with the control spheres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Student)
    Martha was Rose MK2.

Another character who fall in love with the doctor and by this point I was wishing for both Martha and Rose to go the same way as Adric. The new doctor who series is a rather mixed bag to be honest. There are some wonderful episodes and some unwatchable episodes (love and monsters for example). I personally enjoy Moffat's writing for Doctor Who and I was getting pissed off with Russel T Davis who seemed to believe foreshadowing words like 'torch wood' or 'bad wolf' was a story arch.

To be perfectly honest this seems to be an issue with all female characters in the new series where they all seem to be one step away from humping the doctor's leg. (Amy was also bad at the start)

On the bright side Amy got better... Then Rory became a companion and the dynamic changed.

My main concern is Clara will be written the same way, but I am currently enjoying the episodes she is in. It is still too early to tell.
    I quite liked the way RTD did story archs as it meant that most of the episodes weren't fillers, like it has been for Moffat. And I don't mean fillers which have a good enough story to be in an episode of Who. I mean a filler where they sat round a table and someone said "There's nothing important to put in this episode, so everybody shout out one thing that scares them and we'll throw it at the Doctor and see if it sticks."

I think the writing's gone to **** since Moffat took over as well. I used to like his stories when they were once in a while and his ideas were actually scary (like Blink), but now that it's about 4 a series he's ran out of ideas and is finding stuff that will end in someone declaring their love for someone else and it all being heartfelt. I hate that in Who now as well. When the day isn't saved by someone pushing a button, it's saved by someone thinking really hard about something.

1) Craig thinking about how much he wanted to stay home and loved his friend
    2) That kid who thought about how much his dad loved him
    3) Craig, once again, thinking about how much he loves his family and other stuff.
    4) The most recent Christmas episode where children were thinking sad thoughts and crying over Jenna-Louise Coleman dead body.

Anyway, that's enough from me, thanks for reading if you could be bothered, and goodbye.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    By extension couldn't they then do fewer episodes at 90mins length like the Sherlock episodes?

Depends what you prefer, fewer, better quality episodes. Or plenty of content, some of which isn't always impressive :erm:
    It's all about viewing numbers for the BBC, given the audience that Doctor Who gets week in-week out they try make it last as long as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Was nobody else a bit uncomfortable with the resolution?

1) Everyone's souls are uploaded into the cloud.
    2) Their bodies for all intents and purposes are dead.
    3) They will be buried and decomposing.
    4) When they are downloaded back to their bodies they will wake up underground and **** knows if they were cremated.
    5) Therefore the Doctor has essentially just sent thousand of people to horrifically slow 're-deaths' and/or created zombies :lolwut:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)

4) When they are downloaded back to their bodies they will wake up underground and **** knows if they were cremated.
    5) Therefore the Doctor has essentially just sent thousand of people to horrifically slow 're-deaths' and/or created zombies :lolwut:
    They even talked about it in the episode :sadnod:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    She also missed out 16 in the book, so got from 9-24 but missing out 16 and 23 hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    So the snowmen from Christmas are back

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't overly keen on last nights episode. It had a fairly decent concept but it didn't flow very well. Far too much time was spent with The Doctor and Clara just faffing around talking, drinking tea and riding the motorcycle. I know this was essential for Clara to be introduced to the doctor, it just didn't need to be dragged out so long! The episode also seemed really flat. I don't think that there was one edge of the seat moment and they're what makes the episodes great!! I myself am not overly keen on the episodes where there is no visible threat, but this has to have been the most boring I have seen in a while.

I really don't see Moffat as head writer material. It seems thAt his most recent episodes are either boring or far too complex (or both?). He has had some great episodes though! The weeping angel episodes are by far my favourites :-) I just think his skills are far more suited to Sherlock...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am very bored of 'hacking' scenes in the media in general. Watching a character randomly bash keys very quickly is not my idea of fun.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite part was with the storybook that the kid had, when Clara said "eleven's the best."

Anyone else notice that it was by Amelia Williams? :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)

This was similar to what happened at the end of the power of three isn't it? The doctor blew up the space ship without stopping to save the other people we saw unconscious on then. I'm hoping it's holes in the writing and not a personality change for the doctor...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else really want to know

Spoiler:
    Show
    what the Doctor's big secret is - revealed by Steven Moffat in the Radio Times

in the finale of this series?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbiC)
    My favourite part was with the storybook that the kid had, when Clara said "eleven's the best."

Anyone else notice that it was by Amelia Williams? :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

I noticed that!!! I loved Amy and Rory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocolateMelody)
    Anyone else really want to know

Spoiler:
    Show
    what the Doctor's big secret is - revealed by Steven Moffat in the Radio Times

in the finale of this series?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    his name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)

Pretty sure it was covered in the episode that those who had bodies to return to would while the vast majority would die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Student)
    Pretty sure it was covered in the episode that those who had bodies to return to would while the vast majority would die.
    Hate to think what would happen if someone woke in in a crematorium. =l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbieastoria)
    I would say so, but it still doesn't resolve the fact that Clara hasn't recognised the doctor in any of her 3 personas. I love that doctor who episodes create more questions than they answer. Also loved the episode title, very clever

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought she remembered him in the Christmas episode, just before she died? I thought she said 'I remember', but maybe I'm mistaken. Does anyone have any theories on Clara?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    They are not even related as they have different but similar names, so it's as if the same person is created again and again, like reincarnation or cloning.
    Also, if you've seen the prequel, The Doctor meets young Clara in a playground but doesn't know it's her. It's as if the universe (or someone) is willing them together, like with the Doctor and Donna. Maybe someone/thing keeps creating her with the same genetics, personality etc, as part of some greater plan, it could even be the GI.

Did anyone else notice that Clara sounded a lot like Amy, when they were in the plane and she was screaming. Could be nothing but my mum noticed it too and along with the book thing... Hmm

Finally, with the people's minds being uploaded to a data cloud, did this remind anyone of the library, and River being uploaded to the computer? Foreshadowing perhaps? Will we be going back to the library or will the doctor just realise he is seeing her for the last time, and give her the screwdriver? If those people's minds could be downloaded again, could River?

Ok I'm done speculating now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceJ)
    All the love for Tennant, really? Is it just me who doesn't think Tennant was all that good? I much preferred Ecclestone.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
    I liked Tennant but I personally prefer both Smith and Ecclestone to him. Ecclestone is my favourite out of the three who could get the balance of laughs and anger right. Tennant was either too somber and apologetic or constantly gnashing his teeth (which was always funny for all the wrong reasons).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    I thought she remembered him in the Christmas episode, just before she died? I thought she said 'I remember', but maybe I'm mistaken. Does anyone have any theories on Clara?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    They are not even related as they have different but similar names, so it's as if the same person is created again and again, like reincarnation or cloning.
    Also, if you've seen the prequel, The Doctor meets young Clara in a playground but doesn't know it's her. It's as if the universe (or someone) is willing them together, like with the Doctor and Donna. Maybe someone/thing keeps creating her with the same genetics, personality etc, as part of some greater plan, it could even be the GI.

Did anyone else notice that Clara sounded a lot like Amy, when they were in the plane and she was screaming. Could be nothing but my mum noticed it too and along with the book thing... Hmm

Finally, with the people's minds being uploaded to a data cloud, did this remind anyone of the library, and River being uploaded to the computer? Foreshadowing perhaps? Will we be going back to the library or will the doctor just realise he is seeing her for the last time, and give her the screwdriver? If those people's minds could be downloaded again, could River?

Ok I'm done speculating now
    She said "Run you clever boy and remember", there genetic reincarnations through time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.