Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Same. Is it me, or do older people (sorry, those of us in our 20s) seem to take it as a compliment; but the younger ones seem to not be too happy about getting id'd?

I know I will get id'd; so tend to hand it over when I hand my money over.
    Meh, I don't see it so much as a "complement" (maybe at 23, I'm not really old enough to?), more just standard procedure in compliance with the law. I'm not at all offended either, I just see it as something that happens - like handing over your card/money to pay for it.

I guess at 18/19, some people are trying desperately to be "taken seriously as an adult" or something like that, and feel that being asked to prove their age is inferring that they look like a child?

Personally, I try and look at it from a legal point of view. (I'm not a law student, or trying to be pretentious, just trying to explain my thought process.)
    A few years ago, I was called up for jury service, and served on a case where the charge put to the defendant was sexual assault. Now, while his actions were highly inappropriate and bang out of order, as a jury we couldn't prove his actions were sexual. So we returned a not guilty verdict - not because we didn't believe the victims about what happened, but because we couldn't prove it was sexual. We weren't allowed (of course) to return a guilty verdict on the basis of "I think".
    Since serving on the jury, that's pretty much how I see being ID'd. If someone is selling me alcohol, or another age-restricted product, they can't sell it to me on the basis that they THINK I'm over the legal age, nevermind the fact I'm actually 23. Legally, they have to know FOR A FACT that I'm old enough to buy the product.
    So yeah, that's how I think of it, and why I don't make a fuss or get offended (never have) about being ID'd. Even when I was 16 and went to buy my first lottery ticket, my local newsagent, who had known me for years, asked for ID - it's just his job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Hi,

I work in a store and today I had a very abusive customer.

Was a girl and she became extremely abusive when I ID'd her and said that 'the owner and a younger boy (A MASSIVE LIE) had served her before and that if I call them they will confirm that she is over the legal age'.

It became obvious that she lied as soon as she said that a younger boy served her. In fact I am the youngest member of staff. When I told her that she said that the 'young boy' was shorter than me and looked 'older'. She completely contradicted her point and she swore at me in front of other customers.

Eventually she left by threatening me that she would tell the owner of the store. Won't work, because the owner's related to me and I have been working here for a year now. I'm an asset to this store.

My manager eventually came back from his lunch break and I told him the incident. Turns out, the girl is of legal age and he said that she has been abusive to other members of staff.

I don't get why she comes her when there are like 5 other shops just across the road. I for one, really hate serving very rude people. I was being polite and asked her nicely if she could provide me with ID. She failed to do just that
    Im 22, i have facial hair im 6'3 i have a deep voice, yet im always id'ed by the same type of people just turned 18 who clearly know im overage. I GUARENTEE you knew she was overage but asked her anyway, and she went mad as she didnt have her id and just wanted a damn cig! dont be such a jobs worth its there to stop kids getting them not for you to feel like you have a bit of authority!

ReputationRep:
    just to add i have never ever ever been id'ed y someone who looks over 25, there grown up about it and dont feel the need to ask ID when they know for a fact by using there eyes, its called common sense when theres a long queue and getting everyone on there way as quick as possible
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Sometimes you can't help but feel that people are trolling you when they ask for your ID.

Loads of times as a child I was asked to prove that I was 16 or below to get a child ticket on the bus. I remember I was in year 7 and the driver was like "Do you have ID?" and I didn't. And it's not that I was one of those old looking kids, I was like 11/12, In a school uniform, like 5ft, no chest, and carried a cartoon backpack. He was clearly trolling, I feel a lot of them were at the time.

Anyway back to the topic, I think it's sometimes awkward when people ask for proof of age. But, it is necessary e.g. buying alcohol, but sometimes, when you clearly look older, and they clearly just ID you to show their power it's a bit annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people find it intimidating, but your just doing your job, don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I got pissed off the other day in Costcutter. Gave him my passport as ID but he refused to sell to me due to being underage. I even explained to him how being born in Feb 95 makes you 18 but he would have none of it. Paid for my stuff and had to restrain myself from calling him a stupid c*nt since it is the only place to get products after 8 so don't want to get banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevergohalfpace)
    I got pissed off the other day in Costcutter. Gave him my passport as ID but he refused to sell to me due to being underage. I even explained to him how being born in Feb 95 makes you 18 but he would have none of it. Paid for my stuff and had to restrain myself from calling him a stupid c*nt since it is the only place to get products after 8 so don't want to get banned.
    I definitely think you have a right to be pissed off about that.
    At our corner shop they have a thing that says 'Born after today's date in ____' and then they stick a new year on it every year and it's on the side of the till.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevergohalfpace)
    At the Costcutter near me they won't serve alcohol to anyone under 21, regardless of whether or not they have ID. I think that's ridiculous!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    She even had the cheek to get someone else to buy it for her right in front of me.

She says she is going to report me, I know that won't go far. Boss won't do nothing, I've worked with him for years now in different stores. I'm a valuable asset to him.

I obviously never told her that. I know a lot of businesses and players in the area and all I have to do is just tell them about her and the next thing you know she will be barred everywhere.

She simply ****ed with the wrong guy in this case.
    You've said this same thing like 5 times on the first page alone, what is wrong with you?

Frankly you sound like a bit of an idiot who probably sensationalised this whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm usually ID'd when I buy 18+ video games and DVD's. Honestly it's not too much of a bother to me. Although of course when you're a kid it is a pain.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 years old and i was asked by a cashier in Sainsbury's if i was over the age of 16 to buy paracetamol. I told her i was and she proceeded with my purchase. I'll make sure i carry some ID next time, just in case.

ReputationRep:
    It's better to be safe than sorry, I think it's a good policy, it's not the cashier's fault our job is at risk if we sell alcohol or anything under the think 21 and 25 policies to people under the age and not to mention a hefty fine the store won't be paying for us. Sometimes appearance can be deceiving, we had to go through a test and it was surprising that some of the people we thought were the youngest out of the group were in fact the oldest members.

ReputationRep:
    TBF im 19 and got ID'ed for paracetamol buy some sweaty 17 year old today, so you can see why its infuriating.

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt ID'd most of my teens then randomly I get ID'd in tesco buying booze when im 22, and its like right ok lol I wouldnt mind but I dont exactly look younger if anything I probably look a bit older.

I remember when I worked in a shop and this woman came up (just after ciggie age became 18) and I was like "got any ID" turned out she was late 20's she blushed, I took that as a good thing lol

tbh when most people get angry its because they realise they've lost and are trying to pull of being "old enough" funily enough no one old enough throws a tantrum, they accept it and go and get their ID lol or try elsewhere,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    TBF im 19 and got ID'ed for paracetamol buy some sweaty 17 year old today, so you can see why its infuriating.
    would you of been less offended if it was a sexy member of the opposite sex in a low cut top? lol

just out of interest.

ReputationRep:
    I actually love being ID'd, although I've only been 18 for 3 months so maybe the novelty just hasn't worn off yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeM90)
    would you of been less offended if it was a sexy member of the opposite sex in a low cut top? lol

just out of interest.
    As my girlfriend knows my TSR I am obliged to say no.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LukeM90)
    I wasnt ID'd most of my teens then randomly I get ID'd in tesco buying booze when im 22, and its like right ok lol I wouldnt mind but I dont exactly look younger if anything I probably look a bit older,
    It's Think 25; so if you look under 25, you have to ID'd.

ReputationRep:
    Just to give another point of view - as an International Student it seems my driving licence/student card/police registration id is not acceptable in many stores and i must provide a passport so yea i get a little bit pissed off everytime i buy alcohol

ReputationRep:
    I used to get really pissed off about it but now im quite pleased, turned 23 today so dont feel as young as i used to! Plus my mum got caught serving someone cigarettes who looked really old, turns out the police picked out someone really old looking to go in. Tesco got caught twice. So now i understand how important it is for them to ID especially really young looking people like me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.