Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dartanoir)
    Jesus Christ if they are now capping it at £26k what the hell was it before that?! Personally I believe that benefits should only provide the bare necessities - not a comfortable life, as otherwise it is not encouraging people to go out and get a job.
    That £26k figure is misleading. Very few families get anything approaching that, the majority of the money quoted in these figures actually goes to private landlords.

The real scandal here is the high cost of living and low wages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleighG)
    Don't be so patronizing.
    Its a statement of fact. When you have kids, there's no way you'll want anyone to force a stranger into your house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Its a statement of fact. When you have kids, there's no way you'll want anyone to force a stranger into your house.
    I know how to look after kids, but if they're good with kids whats the problem? I'm trained in childcare health and safety etc, so if I was homeless why shouldnt I be able to live with someone who has a kid? Its not as if I would be a paedophile. If someone is claiming a house of the government should they have the right to pick and choose?

ReputationRep:
    I know how to look after kids, but if they're good with kids whats the problem? I'm trained in childcare health and safety etc, so if I was homeless why shouldnt I be able to live with someone who has a kid? Its not as if I would be a paedophile. If someone is claiming a house of the government should they have the right to pick and choose?
    The right to pick and choose where you live!
    Is this not a free society then, you or whom tells me where I should live!

ReputationRep:
    Being trained in childcare is very very different to having your own kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomctutor)
    The right to pick and choose where you live!
    Is this not a free society then, you or whom tells me where I should live!
    If you want a free house yes, you get a house where its available.

ReputationRep:
    Being trained in childcare is very very different to having your own kids.
    The post isn't about me having kids. Okay lets change the situation, how about a older person living on their own in a 3 bedroom house, shouldnt they be able to share their home?

ReputationRep:
    The post isn't about me having kids. Okay lets change the situation, how about a older person living on their own in a 3 bedroom house, shouldnt they be able to share their home?
    If they want to, yes. No one should have it forced upon them.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a free house yes, you get a house where its available.
    Free house? People aren't entitled to basic needs such as shelter now, without being patronised?

ReputationRep:
    Yes a pensioner could be compelled to share their house with a stranger, as the majority of under-occupiers are above the pension age - is this what you want then!
    I personally can't see any logic in these welfare reforms at all, they are simply class driven reactionary measures designed to deflect the responsibility for failure to balance the economy and create jobs on the backs of the poorest and least-able citizens in this country - bring on the national strike - time to get payback!

ReputationRep:
    Free house? People aren't entitled to basic needs such as shelter now, without being patronised?
    Not when they don't house those in desperate need. My first post was about the fact I couldnt get a house by the council near my school when I was in year 11, about to sit my GCSEs after my house was attacked by an arsonist. I don't see how someone who has not put anything into the pot should be able to get something out when they can still with their parents. When other people have put into the pot cant get out.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks that people should not have kids unless they can afford to take care of them? :confused: Lets be realistic here - only a fraction of people born into poverty will break out of it. It's a sort of unfortunate circle due to lack of good education and opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Not when they don't house those in desperate need. My first post was about the fact I couldnt get a house by the council near my school when I was in year 11, about to sit my GCSEs after my house was attacked by an arsonist. I don't see how someone who has not put anything into the pot should be able to get something out when they can still with their parents. When other people have put into the pot cant get out.
    Wtf are you on about? Why do you assume people in council housing have not "put into the pot"?

ReputationRep:
    Wtf are you on about? Why do you assume people in council housing have not "put into the pot"?
    Where I live everyone on the dole is in council house. It may be different where you live.

ReputationRep:
    Where I live everyone on the dole is in council house. It may be different where you live.
    You really do live in a bubble. Lots of people in council houses work. Lots of people on benefits rent privately.

ReputationRep:
    And so what if people are unemployed? Do you think the majority of people want to be unemployed? You do know there's a recession, there's a massive shortage of jobs don't you?

ReputationRep:
    Bottom line is that the welfare bill is unsustainable and has to be cut. It's disingenuous to pretend that people won't be worse off as a result, but the welfare bill has to be cut.

As it is, the British sense of entitlement is funded by borrowed money. Sooner or later, borrowed money has to be paid back with interest. It's simply immoral for today's children and young people to be saddled with this national debt by their elders - debt they'll have to pay back with interest through higher taxes and lower public wages.

Really, the NHS should be cut as well, with those who can afford it being forced to have insurance. But no government will dare so we'll keep circling the drain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dartanoir)
    Am I the only one who thinks that people should not have kids unless they can afford to take care of them? :confused: Lets be realistic here - only a fraction of people born into poverty will break out of it. It's a sort of unfortunate circle due to lack of good education and opportunities.
    Your right/ability to have children then depends on your bank-balance, income, savings or what! What part of the genes is this coded for, why not go the full whack here- lets talk euthanasia for anyone unemployed or on out-of-work benefits.
    I am totally gobsmacked by your attitude and others supporting these welfare reforms (aka. austerity measures) as having the right to moralize to me about where I should live, if I'm allowed a family, that I should work for my benefits etc.

ReputationRep:
    Do they have any control over their own work? Do they hire and fire? Do they actually set terms and conditions? Does their income come from their own labour or the labour of others?
    They collectively have the power to disrupt the lives of millions- no other union has that much power these days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziggy2252)
    So a single mum raising 2 children in a 3 bedhouse, when one moves out she wil lhave to pay money for the empty room? even though its her home she has been given it? that sounds so ****ing stupid.
    It's not really her house as she hasn't bought it

It sounds reasonable- she should give way to a family in need of a 3bed home

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.