Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    This forum is covered in left wing liberals. It's about time that the right are getting their points across more

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol have you seen the definition of TSR on urban dictionary! ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Lol have you seen the definition of TSR on urban dictionary! ?
    I've seen it and it's fantastic! So true, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    Oh dear it looks like somebodies peeved at the troll brigade. The reason so many right wing threads are started on TSR is because they instigate an absolutely hilarious response from lefties who think their debating with people who generally hold the clear delusional opinion being posted by some posters. There is several members of this sight who clearly exists to provoke left-wingers but their still here, what does that tell you their provoking left-wingers.

Ignore them, they'll go away.
    How do you tell the difference between a troll and a shill? I guess most trolls will give up if ignored but a shill will just keep on going. At the risk of being labeled a conspiraloon I think it probably unlikely that TSR doesn't attract at least a few shills and it wouldn't take many to skew debate in their favour with the number of trolls happy to jump aboard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    They appear to have merged. There is a new far-right consensus between a number of Europhobic Tory MPs, Ukip and EDL and the consensus has moved into the Mail and Telegraph. The Daily Telegraph have even started a Kelvin MacKenzie column today! He is one of the main mouthpieces of these factions.
    UKIP have nothing to do with the BNP or EDL, that's like lumping the Labour party in with the SWP and Communist party. You're just trying to discredit a perfectly legitimate political party by associating it with extremist groups.

I am fairly certain we are seeing regular and sustained attempts by Ukip people to dominate this forum.
    Or maybe that's just popular opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Haha. It is hilarious.

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define...student%20room

It sums up the typical way student think it is normal to think and how they tend to keep thinking I they get jobs in the BBC or government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's beginning to be clear that there is a growing consensus on the forum that quoting Daily Mail articles should not be permitted. This is also the case in Wikipedia, where the Mail is not generally accepted as a valid source to support articles unless it can be shown to be correct by the use of other sources.
    Let's have a poll!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toothfairy123)
    Haha. It is hilarious.

It sums up the typical way student think it is normal to think and how they tend to keep thinking I they get jobs in the BBC or government.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One can easily see from many of the comments on this thread that the consensus is that the reverse is true - TSR political forums (and other parts of the site) are flooded with robotic rightwing 'opinions'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toothfairy123)
    Haha. It is hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers for the link, I forgot just how brilliant those descriptions are! I'll definitely repost it the next time I comment on a thread about gay adoption, just to shine a mirror up to the ridiculous nature of stereotypical student dogma.

ReputationRep:
    Did you write one of them? Some of it sounds like your writing style.

ReputationRep:
    One can easily see from many of the comments on this thread that the consensus is that the reverse is true - TSR political forums (and other parts of the site) are flooded with robotic rightwing 'opinions'.
    Hardly robotic. The easiest and least controversial opinions to hold in 2013 in student circles are very much to the left. Wearing a che gueva t-shirt and spewing nonsense about being a neo-Marxist, environmentalist, social justice 'activist' is not some amazing unique viewpoint that you've reached after careful consideration and debate with people with a broad spectrum of opinions. How much brain power does it take to just spew the Guardian editorial week in week out?
    Also, why 'opinion'? Is a non leftist viewpoint invalid to you?

ReputationRep:
    Classic left-wing poster, the only grievance being that someone DARE to have an opinion that opposes your very enlightened objectively correct stance on every aspect of economic and social life.

This has been covered so many times, noone has a right to suppress opinions because you don't like them, the hypocricy of 'fullof****' to say this; on the one hand you would clearly claim to support free speech but in practice not when you don't like what's being said.

In answer to your strange question, yes TSR should allow freedom of speech and no UKIP do not run these forums far from it.

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly , you say that there's an imbalance on this forum and that theres never room for intellectual debate - however you are the person who in the very first line just imbalanced the thread in a pro-left wing stance , and as Zurich said above why have you put ' opinion ' instead of opinion ? Do you not regard a right wing opinion on the same level as yours ? do you think a right wing stance is simply wrong and refusing to even consider the other side ? Because that is what it looks like - and if that's true then the whole point of this thread is undermined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oschene23)
    In answer to your strange question, yes TSR should allow freedom of speech and no UKIP do not run these forums far from it.
    Do you think that it entirely fanciful to believe that there could be shills on TSR?

ReputationRep:
    Right now we have massive government attacks on the poor and the Tories are using the police as a tool to brutally suppress protest.
    They're hardly 'brutally suppressing protest'. The police aren't idiots and know full well that if they're too heavy handed it'll come back to bite them in this media intensive age.
    There might be a handful of officers who get a bit carried away but generally their tactics are sound. It's not fair for protesters to block whole streets for hours, nor is it fair for the more hardline among them to smash shops and deface private and public property.

Seriously go to North Korea if you want Police Brutality, don't pretend you're being courageous by fighting some fascist regime here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Do you think that it entirely fanciful to believe that there could be shills on TSR?
    No not really, I don't think TSR is even close to being important enough for any group to consider planting people to spread propaganda. If you are suggesting anyone in the EDL/BNP has the intellectual capacity or inclination to do so I would have to disagree.

I do think though what we are seeing is a rising up of a certain 'silent majority' who stand for fairly right wing principles on the whole and sympathise with the kind of Right-wing Tory/UKIP agenda (e.g they detest the attacks on what they believe are genuinely correct things to be doing like welfare cuts and immigration - which quite frankly have been taboo subjects under Labours regime). Mostly however, these views have boiled out of the 2008 crisis whereby our artificial bubble of affluence was burst as it always was going to be and people were hit by a nasty dose of reality.

If you want to see propaganda though, consider this: the EU spends £2 billion a year in pro-EU teaching materials which they send to schools in the UK etc... (they label it 'communications')

These forums are becoming slighly more pluralist in the spread of opinions and some left wing people like the poster simply can't stomach it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    By 'shill' I take it you mean 'somebody who I disagree with'.

I'm sure there are lots of people you disagree with, but this doesn't automatically make them a 'shill'. They just hold opinions that differ from your own.

Is that sort of thing not acceptable on TSR anymore?

ReputationRep:
    No not really, I don't think TSR is even close to being important enough for any group to consider planting people to spread propaganda. If you are suggesting anyone in the EDL/BNP has the intellectual capacity or inclination to do so I would have to disagree.
    Ah come on it doesn't take much intellectual capacity to troll. TSR threads seem to popup at the top of google searches quite a bit and I doubt many any longer ignore the potential power of online media.

These forums are becoming slighly more pluralist in the spread of opinions and some left wing people like the poster simply can't stomach it.
    Maybe, maybe not. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    By 'shill' I take it you mean 'somebody who I disagree with'.
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    No.
    Can you name any of these so called 'shills' with whom you largely agree with then, for the sake of clarity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Ah come on it doesn't take much intellectual capacity to troll. TSR threads seem to popup at the top of google searches quite a bit and I doubt many any longer ignore the potential power of online media.

Maybe, maybe not. :dontknow:
    Okay, I agree with you, you get more right-wing than left-wing trolls as it is TSR. Yet, I don't think we should even entertain these trolls because it shifts away from the valid arguments people should be having on important issues. I think what this thread has suggested is that everyone is in the same boat yet only a handful of people start these threads and no intelligent person takes them seriously.

More worrying in the thread starter's post was the idea of some kind of 'bourgeoise hegemony' idea stated whereby somehow everyone was being overcome by right-wing ideology. That is simply not the case, I value my freedom of speech and no-one is going to tell me what I can and can't say. I consider threads like this trolling as it is simply void of logic to complain about people expressing opinions that alter from your own, can't we discuss real problems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.