Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchieL)
    Haha, you know it! Geoff's retiring this year
    :afraid:

Also the section C notes were Tim's work this year, he rustled them out as soon as the prerelease came out! The physics dept. at csfc are so hyped on caffeine it's unreal.
    :elefant:
    I know, it sucks!
    Ok awesome! Are there any answers for the section C notes around?

ReputationRep:
    There are some great YT vids on the subject, but..
    Uncertainty = http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=227989
    % Uncertainty = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTn2pt5PuA
    Resolution = Smallest observable change: In the case of a digital display, the amount of d.p, in a graph it's how many units 1 box represents.
    Thankyou very much

ReputationRep:
    liomeeringca,

Read the MS again, it says 169m^2s^-2 and the same for 900.

I just used v^2 = u^2 +2as, then rearrange for s.
    I apologise, the reason they have those units is because they've been squared:
    (m/s)^2 = (m^2/s^2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndItsOllie)
    I know, it sucks!
    Ok awesome! Are there any answers for the section C notes around?
    I'm afraid not mate, I've got a few if you need them! Just ask

ReputationRep:
    I apologise, the reason they have those units is because they've been squared:
    (m/s)^2 = (m^2/s^2)
    I understand now, thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marseille_h)
    This might seem straightforward but I'm a bit confused:

A car has an acceleration of 0.86g. Calculate the time it takes to reach a velocity of 27m.s-1.
    g=9.81

v=u+at
    so t= (v-u)/a

is g=acceleration in this case and the acceleration of the car they give we take it as u and v=27 ?

Acceleration would be 0.86 x g, so 0.86 x 9.81. I assume you would take u as 0 and v as 27 and then use v=u+at to find t.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacobfun)
    Acceleration would be 0.86 x g, so 0.86 x 9.81. I assume you would take u as 0 and v as 27 and then use v=u+at to find t.
    which formula do we use to get acceleration and do 0.86 x g ?

ReputationRep:
    which formula do we use to get acceleration and do 0.86 x g ?
    No formula. 'g' is shorthand for the acceleration due to gravity (on earth) ~ 9.81ms-2
    => an acceleration of 0.86g = (0.86)(9.81) = 8.4366 ~ 8.44

ReputationRep:
    No formula. 'g' is shorthand for the acceleration due to gravity (on earth) ~ 9.81ms-2
    => an acceleration of 0.86g = (0.86)(9.81) = 8.4366 ~ 8.44
    Oh i understand i thought it was a wierd unit. THANKS

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone feel about potential dividers, thermisters and general electricity questions then? I'm bricking myself

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone feel about potential dividers, thermisters and general electricity questions then? I'm bricking myself
    None of this in unit 2 i think..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liomeeringca)
    How would one calculate gravity from a set of results like that?
    V^2=U^2+2as. F=ma, and the component for force in the direction of the ramp is gsin(theta). Therefore you can rearrange that to a=gsin(theta)
    V^2=U^2 + 2gsin(theta)s. U=0, so you can rearrange it to g=V^2 divided by 2sin(theta)s

ReputationRep:
    I saw someone had already answered this but I'm still unsure how to determine the value for g from v2= u2+2as

Can someone explain step by step please?

I hate all these maths based questions

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't this G491?

ReputationRep:
    None of this in unit 2 i think..
    As far as I was aware, section C is a synopsis unit (of sorts?)
    Also I've got a question on it on some prelrelease questions set by the department at college, so I'd guess there might be a little on it? Don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon if there wasn't! Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    V^2=U^2+2as. F=ma, and the component for force in the direction of the ramp is gsin(theta). Therefore you can rearrange that to a=gsin(theta)
    V^2=U^2 + 2gsin(theta)s. U=0, so you can rearrange it to g=V^2 divided by 2sin(theta)s
    Thank you so so much,

ReputationRep:
    As far as I was aware, section C is a synopsis unit (of sorts?)
    Also I've got a question on it on some prelrelease questions set by the department at college, so I'd guess there might be a little on it? Don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon if there wasn't! Haha
    I haven't looked a potential dividers in aaaaaaages! I really hope there's nothing on it, like you say D:

ReputationRep:
    For the pre-release material on measuring the speed of light... why can it be assumed that the 'hotspot' where the chocolate melted is an antinode? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seharnaznaz)
    I saw someone had already answered this but I'm still unsure how to determine the value for g from v2= u2+2as

Can someone explain step by step please?

I hate all these maths based questions
    With the trolley on the ramp, it has an acceleration, g, acting directly downwards. Construct a triangle with this force, another force c acting ϴ degrees to it originating from the floor (so they meet). Then add another from the top of grunning parallel to the slope. This cuts the line with c and forms a triangle. From the cosine rule, cosϴ=opp/hyp, so =a/g. Rearrange to get a=gsinϴ. (It's best to draw a diagram of all component forces, stripped down).

If we then substitute this into the equation v2=u2+2as with u=0, we get that result (v2 =2.g.l.sinϴ). Also it's probably worth noting that plotting a graph with v^2 against sinϴ gets us with a gradient of 2.g.l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seharnaznaz)
    For the pre-release material on measuring the speed of light... why can it be assumed that the 'hotspot' where the chocolate melted is an antinode? :confused:
    Antinodes is where the intestity is the highest compared to nodes where it is =0

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 16, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.