Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arty)
    really, so no exams at all for GCE students in Jan 2014?

But I could retake the 1 A2 exam in June 2014?

Thanks
    Unfortunately no A2 exams in January so you can't resit modules until June 2014. However that isn't another two years, just one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fish100)
    My school said they cannot let me back into year 13 but hopefully after a meeting with the head they let me back in....do you think they will
    I'm not really in a position to advise on this - I don't know what approach your school takes on this sort of thing. Your chances are likely to be better if you have a convincing explanation of why you've not achieved grades as high as yo were hoping for, though.

ReputationRep:
    how do you people go about requesting remarks and accessing scripts?? do you go into your school/college to collect the relevant documents for it?

ReputationRep:
    My school said they cannot let me back into year 13 but hopefully after a meeting with the head they let me back in....do you think they will
    Very unlikely, I'm afraid. They may suggest you redo the year or that you move to another school/college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student gamer)
    how do you people go about requesting remarks and accessing scripts?? do you go into your school/college to collect the relevant documents for it?
    These requests would need to be made by your school/college on your behalf (unless you're a private candidate) - speak to your teachers and/or exams officer.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by student gamer)
    Depends on your school/college but that's what I did today and I think most will do- the remark/standard scripts deadline isn't until the 20th September but if you want a priority photocopy that you could potentially get remarked from the deadline is tomorrow, so think about it quick! Also, if yours is a school it's GCSE results day tomorrow so they should definitely be open (come to think of it colleges will be to to reply to new entrants probably)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think it's better to resit the year. Not to be harsh but what unis will you be able to apply for with those grades?

Its not all bad doing the year again. But if you want continue to A2 and work hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    need help.... got c in eng nd applying this year for uni can i retake in june? bt i have to send my application now nd the requirement is b
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rashmi33)
    need help.... got c in eng nd applying this year for uni can i retake in june? bt i have to send my application now nd the requirement is b
    Yep, just put down that you're retaking it and they might take it into consideration for making a conditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    Yep, just put down that you're retaking it and they might take it into consideration for making a conditional offer.
    thanks..

ReputationRep:
    can i retake gcse eng in november 2013 ? if yes then this would be my third time unfortunately and is it going to affect my uni application as well?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I was 4 ums off a B in AS history. D'you think it's worth a remark?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ItsJustMe17)
    Hey guys I was 4 ums off a B in AS history. D'you think it's worth a remark?
    I would, it doesn't cost that much and I think there's a big difference between a B and a C when you're applying to universities, especially if it's history you're applying for. It's unlikely our grade would go down, anyway, so go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Another question about a remark.

I was 4 raw marks (8 UMS) from an A in OCR Critical Thinking. I got 72/100 and needed 80/100. Should I request a remark? Or is it unlikely that they will increase that much? I did the first unit a while ago and got 80/100 so it all depends on the second unit.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE I got 3A*s 7As 2 Bs. At AS level I got 4Cs and a D in, Maths, Physics (D), Chemistry, Geography and critical thinking.

159/300 UMS Physics (1 UMS off a C) AQA
    199/300 UMS Chemistry (1 UMS off a B) AQA
    139/300 UMS Geography (1 UMS off a B) WJEC
    190/300 UMS in Maths (10 UMS off a B) EDEXCEL
    C1 63
    C2 82
    S1 45

Critical thinking C.

I am planning to get remarks in Physics, chemistry and geography. Im contemplating to do the same for S1 as I feel I did much better than that but maths answers usually are concrete. C1 was my first exam for simple questions my mind went blank.

I wanted to apply to Nottingham and UCL (1st choices) to do Mechanical Engineering offer is ABB/AAB for a bachelors.

Realistically will I even get an offer with my grades?

I want to do Maths Physics and Chemistry in year 13. I really like chemistry and it would pain me to drop it for geography (WJEC).

Is Chemistry a good choice?

To meet the AAB offer I would need to resit between 4 or 5 modules on top of A2. Totally 7 A2 exams and 4/5 AS exams.

Is this sensible?

I feel through the year I worked hard for the majority but there are times where I feel after analysing the year I could of worked even harder. But in past papers I had done very well and my mocks I achieved straight As so I was confident going into the exams. I was stunned when I saw my results I felt I didn't reach my potential from my GCSE results.

What are my chances in the 2014 university applications?
    What do you think I should do next?
    Is it possible to improve my grades in year 13 to ABB/AAB?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.[/QUOTE]

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I'm in need of some advice.
    I got A- Philosophy and Ethics, A- Sociology, B- Psychology and C- Gov and Politics which are good results I guess but the C was quite a shock to me as I was predicted an A in the subject. I retook unit one of Gov and Politics along with unit 1 of Psychology after I got C's in them for the January exams and received C's in them again. I did better in the unit 2 of Psychology which brought me up to a B, however I got a D in Gov and Politics unit 2 which was a real surprise given the fact that I revised a reasonable amount, perhaps I became complacent knowing that my teacher still predicted me an A after the C I received in January.

I want to study Law, however I don't know whether I will still be able to do this at a good Russell group uni. Secondly, I'm not sure if I should retake unit 2 of Gov and Politics because I got a D in the exam or whether I should retake Gov and Politics completely OR whether I should drop it and continue on with AAB and leave the C as it is?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks and congrats to all on their results

ReputationRep:
    I got AB(79%)B(78%)B at as level , I sadly got a B in History and I want to apply lee/durham to read history. I'm an overseas student so I'll be paying more ,do you think I stand chance?Should I apply or is it going to be a waist of space? Please answer me, I am desperate for answers :-(

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.