Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knoyle quiah)
    Hello just wondering where these questions are from , the old edexcel d1? solomon?
    Hi it's D1 January 2006 - old spec contains some of D2 stuff on simplex and flow give it a go and let me now as i still do not understand the markscheme.

Thanks,
    Smith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathswiz:))
    Draw on the arc EJ with capacity 5, then look for how much spare capacity you can have going along this arc. Remember that everything going into an arc must equal everything coming out of the arc. You want to work out what is the maximum flow you can get through the arc EJ and then the same for the arc FH.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi could you help me on the question that i posted earlier
    Thanks,
    Smith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilmzbest)
    Aah simplex, it just makes you want to cry tbh i just practiced simplex a lot and i'm fairly confident in it now, i just make sure to double check all my answers as soon as i get to the row operations bit, like most of D2 i find that you are more likely to lose marks from wrong calculation than by not knowing what you're doing

I'm just getting lots of practice (doing all the exercises in the book) and trying to keep the algorithms fresh in my head, so the exam should be okay i hope
    Hi could you give my question i posted earlier a go
    Thanks,
    Smith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smith50)
    Hi could you help me on the question that i posted earlier
    Thanks,
    Smith
    Use your labelled diagram with arrows going both ways, add in the arc DG with 100 capacity and 0 flow and augment the network again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi could you give my question i posted earlier a go
    Thanks,
    Smith
    Which one? post no. please, i'm too lazy to go trawling back through the thread

ReputationRep:
    Which one? post no. please, i'm too lazy to go trawling back through the thread
    post 231
    Smith

ReputationRep:
    Use your labelled diagram with arrows going both ways, add in the arc DG with 100 capacity and 0 flow and augment the network again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, it'sjust that i don't get how they calculate the value of the final flow my answer doesn't match the MS.Could you explain a bit more or even try it as i am so stuck please
    Thanks,
    Smith

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, it'sjust that i don't get how they calculate the value of the final flow my answer doesn't match the MS.Could you explain a bit more or even try it as i am so stuck please
    Thanks,
    Smith
    Augmenting the route SBDGT increases the flow by 86. Add this to 437 and 236 giving you 759
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Network flow.pdf (702.2 KB, 51 views)

ReputationRep:
    Augmenting the route SBDGT increases the flow by 86. Add this to 437 and 236 giving you 759
    Thanks so much tsr is not letting me rep you anymore .
    I would give you 100 if i could.Your a legend.If you get stuck on anything post it on here
    happy to help
    Thanks,
    Smith

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was wondering:

If we are formulating a transportation problem as a linear programming problem, and the problem is unbalanced, how do we treat this?

Do we add a dummy demand with zero costs first, and include that in the linear programming?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    post 231
    Smith
    Considering there's only 130 posts in this thread i think you might be reading the wrong number.... i mean the number at the top right of your post

ReputationRep:
    Considering there's only 130 posts in this thread i think you might be reading the wrong number.... i mean the number at the top right of your post
    Oh i'm sorry it's post 110
    Smith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamburglar)
    Hey guys, I was wondering:

If we are formulating a transportation problem as a linear programming problem, and the problem is unbalanced, how do we treat this?

Do we add a dummy demand with zero costs first, and include that in the linear programming?

Thanks
    I don't think you add a dummy but instead of writting your constaints as equations you write them as inequalities.
    Hope that helps,
    Smith

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you add a dummy but instead of writting your constaints as equations you write them as inequalities.
    Hope that helps,
    Smith
    Ah the inequalities thing does make sense, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamburglar)
    Ah the inequalities thing does make sense, thank you
    That's not dealt with in the book, is it?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For game theory when representing it the graphical method i sometimes don't get how to choose the optimal point.Could you help me with this please
    Thanks,
    Smith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knowledgecorruptz)
    I don't think so but they expect you to know it
    Smith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knowledgecorruptz)
    Not to my knowledge but I was having a peek at practice paper B which I haven't done yet, and there appears to be a question just like that.

I just wanted to know how you'd deal with it and why

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so but they expect you to know it
    Smith
    Okay, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm a bit confused when graphing a game theory problem. The optimal point - which one is it?
    I've resorted to finding the intersection of all the lines and find the point which gives the highest value but this isn't correct for some reason. Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.