Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do Oxbridge students look down upon others? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    Edinburgh? or am i completely misinformed?
    You are right. The other poster overlooks the central position of the doctor and the lawyer in Scottish society and for most of the last 50 years St Andrews has trained neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    This is the best information there is but it is not perfect.

If you follow my postings on this thread you will see some detailed criticism of the figures

One problem is how to deal with direct grant schools. These have been excluded from the definition of state school in the Commons library report but there is a very good report from the Sutton Trust here which tends to show that most of these schools were much more "state" than "private" before 1976.

The minimum requirement of 25% free places has obscured the fact that in total 61% of places at these schools were free and that in addition there were 56 independent schools with more than 25% free local authority places of which 7 had 100% free places. An independent school where every kid is being paid for by the ratepayers is in my view indistinguishable from a state school!
    There seems to be little reliable data on school type from the 50s and 60s as far as one can tell from those reports. I am sceptical that the peak year was really in the 70s, it's likely to be down to definitions having changed for international students. I would guess the peak years are all recent.

The issue of grant maintained schools being state or private also tends to obscure the main point of the debate, which is about income/family background, using state/independent as a suggestive marker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    That too.

It's sad that Oxbridge have to do so much to try and encourage access (I was on an access visit to my home region in the North - lots of misconceptions by state school teachers on the admissions process)
    I think it's understandable that teachers in schools without an 'Oxbridge track record' are wary of pushing their kids forwards for entry, they fear the effort involved will be unrewarded and the disappointment severe. Oxbridge tends to be fed by schools with an 'Oxbridge ethos' and it is very, very difficult to shift that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    That too.

It's sad that Oxbridge have to do so much to try and encourage access (I was on an access visit to my home region in the North - lots of misconceptions by state school teachers on the admissions process)
    To bloody right - my sister attends one of the best grammar schools in the country, but they aren't challenged or encouraged to apply. Even with this ambivalent attitude about 15-20 girls a year get into Oxbridge from there, how many more would with a bit of pushing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    There seems to be little reliable data on school type from the 50s and 60s as far as one can tell from those reports. I am sceptical that the peak year was really in the 70s, it's likely to be down to definitions having changed for international students. I would guess the peak years are all recent.

The issue of grant maintained schools being state or private also tends to obscure the main point of the debate, which is about income/family background, using state/independent as a suggestive marker.
    The Hansard figures you have posted give the highest perecentage of state school applicants as being 50% in 1981 and 1983 before a break in series in 1995 and I would put my shirt on that data being right, primarily because I was there. I know 1983 was lower than 1981 and I know there was a rising trend up to that point primarily driven by the Hertford Scheme.

Better data actually exists. Each Oxford prospectus had a full statistical appendix as did the alternative prospectus. All we need is Fluteflute to spend a day in the Bod transcribing the data.

ReputationRep:
    The Hansard figures you have posted give the highest perecentage of state school applicants as being 50% in 1981 and 1983 before a break in series in 1995 and I would put my shirt on that data being right, primarily because I was there. I know 1983 was lower than 1981 and I know there was a rising trend up to that point primarily driven by the Hertford Scheme.

Better data actually exists. Each Oxford prospectus had a full statistical appendix as did the alternative prospectus. All we need is Fluteflute to spend a day in the Bod transcribing the data.
    I do recall reading that social mobility in terms of university entrance generally had risen until the 80s and has subsequently fallen back sharply for most of the top universities, apart from Oxbridge, which has been able to somewhat buck the trend in recent years by spending a lot of money on state school outreach, etc. So that view would tie in with the view you just put.

ReputationRep:
    Wonderfully up-to-date documentary on Oxford

Hope I get the grades for the offer...

ReputationRep:
    Every time I meet someone behaving twatishly from Oxbridge, I go to the "Oxford/Cambridge Offers Holders Chat 20x" and neg the first few obnoxious or irritating posts I see.

Restoring balance to the world, one neg at a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthestig)
    Wonderfully up-to-date documentary on Oxford

Hope I get the grades for the offer...
    It hasn't changed a bit. Nice calligraphy on the film titles in those days.

I think I saw Margaret Thatcher whizzing past on her baike on Magdalen Bridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    Every time I meet someone behaving twatishly from Oxbridge, I go to the "Oxford/Cambridge Offers Holders Chat 20x" and neg the first few obnoxious or irritating posts I see.

Including me, lol. Some kind of TSR-based social retaliation? Happy negging. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Including me, lol. Some kind of TSR-based social retaliation? Happy negging. :rolleyes:
    Problem is you only get 5 reps per day.

A dilemma ensues when you meet more than 5 in a day... and they do tend to swarm in packs.

ReputationRep:
    Problem is you only get 5 reps per day.

A dilemma ensues when you meet more than 5 in a day... and they do tend to swarm in packs.
    And you're at Durham, which is often cited as a bastion of elitism and snobbery? :confused:

ReputationRep:

This explains a lot :gasp:

ReputationRep:
    It hasn't changed a bit. Nice calligraphy on the film titles in those days.

I think I saw Margaret Thatcher whizzing past on her baike on Magdalen Bridge.
    This was filmed before the war (no sandbags, no uniforms).

Is the chap on the right at 1:40 wearing what I think he is wearing? If so, it is a rather odd scene for something released in 1941.

The music is a strange choice. It is Ralph Vaughan Williams' The Wasps composed composed for an undergraduate production at Trinity, Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    This was filmed before the war (no sandbags, no uniforms).

Is the chap on the right at 1:40 wearing what I think he is wearing? If so, it is a rather odd scene for something released in 1941.

The music is a strange choice. It is Ralph Vaughan Williams' The Wasps composed composed for an undergraduate production at Trinity, Cambridge.
    That does indeed look suspiciously like a talented young fascist hobnobbin' about Herr Hitler with one of the chaps.

Presumably an expert on cars / vehicles could pin down the actual date.

ReputationRep:
    There's one for Cambridge as well, listed as 1945.

http://film.britishcouncil.org/cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Go to one of the UK's top 5 unis, and work in a industry that is notorious for only hiring from the very best unis. In the numerous interviews and assessment centres I've been to I've found UCL students to be the most conceited and snobby.

The need to act superior stems from insecurity. Broadly speaking, Oxbirdge students dont need to act superior because they know they go to one of the very bets, if not, the best universities in the world - certainly in the UK anyway. LSE students dont act superior because we know the best in the UK at economics, and Imperial students dont act superior because they know they're seen as the best in the UK when it comes to the sciences. Students I have found to be the most pompous and pretentious are definitely UCL students. Which is is why they wouldnt shut up about it when they were ranked 4th in the world rankings (even though those rankings are about as credible as the boy who cried wolf)

ReputationRep:
    I go to Oxford, and to be honest I have only ever looked down at some of the people at Oxford uni itself. Most people are great just like any other uni, but some people are just incredible, in the way they have no concept of reality.

ReputationRep:
    I'm better than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    Go to one of the UK's top 5 unis, and work in a industry that is notorious for only hiring from the very best unis. In the numerous interviews and assessment centres I've been to I've found UCL students to be the most conceited and snobby.

The need to act superior stems from insecurity. Broadly speaking, Oxbirdge students dont need to act superior because they know they go to one of the very bets, if not, the best universities in the world - certainly in the UK anyway. LSE students dont act superior because they know they're seen as the best in the UK at economics, and Imperial students dont act superior because they know they're seen as the best in the UK when it comes to the sciences. Students I have found to be the most pompous and pretentious are definitely UCL students. Which is is why they wouldnt shut up about it when they were ranked 4th in the world rankings (even though those rankings are about as credible as the boy who cried wolf)
    generalising much?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.