Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2014 (MSc) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyross17)
    Response from the department below!!! Eek! Was hoping references would be needed after deadline!!

Ideally references should be received by the deadline of 8th November though we give a few days if references are not submitted. Given the tight turnaround from the deadline to shortlisting no more than 5 days can be deemed acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yikes! I've not even worked out who to give as a second reference yet...

PANIC!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph24)
    [...] My second question is about Makaton. I haven't found much about this on universities course profiles, and I'm wondering if it's essential for our course. Will we be taught it as part of our course or expected to know it? [...]
    You will not be taught Makaton on your course nor will you be expected to know it. But it was developed by a speech and language therapist so it can enhance any therapy you offer with particular client groups. An analogy is like how being bilingual increases the number of clients you can work with.

If you know it then it shows you are serious about being a SLT (pre-study) and it can also constitute continued professional development (post-study).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph24)
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread, and have just started thinking about speech and language therapy as a career. I studied anthropology as my major, so I'll be starting from scratch understand and getting experience in this field. It doesn't help that I'm in Japan until August 2014, but I want to apply for the next year and am looking at all the things I need to do to make my application stand out.

As well as the usual work experience with a variety of clients from special needs children to adults recovering from strokes and other illnesses, and shadowing speech therapists, can anyone recommend course they have done online?

My second question is about Makaton. I haven't found much about this on universities course profiles, and I'm wondering if it's essential for our course. Will we be taught it as part of our course or expected to know it?

Thanks in advance!
    Makaton is definitely not essential, and it's not taught explicitly on the course, but most people are exposed to it during placement and it's v simple to pick up. Watching mr tumble or singing hands on cbeebies actually provides the basics well! If you have the opportunity for a course it won't go wasted but it's def not needed. I was able to attend a Makaton for parents course on one of my placements which helped. Now I'm working, I have access to the handbook so just look up any signs I need.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyross17)
    Response from the department below!!! Eek! Was hoping references would be needed after deadline!!

Ideally references should be received by the deadline of 8th November though we give a few days if references are not submitted. Given the tight turnaround from the deadline to shortlisting no more than 5 days can be deemed acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ohdear. Do ucl email specific questions to our referees after applying or do they just require a general reference? I've got some work ex planned in half term and was going to submit after that but it will only give my referees about 5 days to write and upload before 8th nov... Eek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aking91)
    ohdear. Do ucl email specific questions to our referees after applying or do they just require a general reference? I've got some work ex planned in half term and was going to submit after that but it will only give my referees about 5 days to write and upload before 8th nov... Eek!
    I'm not sure what UCL want in terms of a reference, but I've given my referees the reference request form from City so they can start working on that. I'm hoping any specific questions (if there are any) from UCL will be along the same lines so they can just adapt what they've written for City...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katehb)
    I'm not sure what UCL want in terms of a reference, but I've given my referees the reference request form from City so they can start working on that. I'm hoping any specific questions (if there are any) from UCL will be along the same lines so they can just adapt what they've written for City...

Yeah that's a good idea. I think I've decided to get the application in by the end of this week and put the work ex I have lined up in half-term in the 'Experience that is Planned' column on the table. Lecturers are very busy people and don't want to risk them not having uploaded the reference in time ... !! Just a bit stressful as I only have a few evenings to sort everything out now. Never mind - getting in to UCL was a bit of a long shot anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's a good idea. I think I've decided to get the application in by the end of this week and put the work ex I have lined up in half-term in the 'Experience that is Planned' column on the table. Lecturers are very busy people and don't want to risk them not having uploaded the reference in time ... !! Just a bit stressful as I only have a few evenings to sort everything out now. Never mind - getting in to UCL was a bit of a long shot anyway!
    Sounds like a good idea - the last thing you want to worry about is referees missing the deadline!

For UCL are you sticking to the 3000 character limit or uploading a separate document?

ReputationRep:
    eek I've pretty much finished my personal statement and was just pasting it into that box....and then realised it was 3000 CHARACTERS not words (obviously reading isn't my strong point). So mine is about 2000 words, but do you think that is waaay too long? There's not much I can cut out though, I don't know what to do! Do you think they read all the statements or do you think if they think it's too long, they'll skip over it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katehb)
    Sounds like a good idea - the last thing you want to worry about is referees missing the deadline!

For UCL are you sticking to the 3000 character limit or uploading a separate document?
    I've not been able to stick to the 3000 limit, so am uploading a sep doc. What about you? I am submitting this eve after work, eeek!

ReputationRep:
    I've not been able to stick to the 3000 limit, so am uploading a sep doc. What about you? I am submitting this eve after work, eeek!
    Are you submitting the 3000 limit and the rest in a sep doc? Or all just in a sep doc. I thought the references had more time to respond as they will only get their reference form once we have submitted our application. This seems quite unfair. If that is how they planned to do it they should have issues a seperate form that we could have passed on the the referee's giving them more time

ReputationRep:
    I emailed about the limit and got this reply:

Personal statement
    Applicants should adhere to the 3000 characters available online whenever possible. Alternatively, one side of A4, no smaller than point 11 in the chosen font can be accepted though the space provided on the form is preferred.
    The summary of work experience must be included with all applications.

ReputationRep:
    How long are people's work experience forms for UCL? Not sure how much detail to go into. Not aware of any word limit for it though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi is anyone starting the PG Dip at Greenwich in January? Would be great to get to know people before we start. Angela

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After a few years spent gaining as much experience as possible, and a second attempt at applications and attendance to selection days, I have been offered a place at Greenwich! So relieved, the process is a huge challenge!

Is there anyone else starting at Greenwich in Jan '14? I'd love to hear from you to discuss bursary paperwork, accommodation etc!

Now I suppose it's time for the real hard work...

Louise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisejessica)
    After a few years spent gaining as much experience as possible, and a second attempt at applications and attendance to selection days, I have been offered a place at Greenwich! So relieved, the process is a huge challenge!

Is there anyone else starting at Greenwich in Jan '14? I'd love to hear from you to discuss bursary paperwork, accommodation etc!

Now I suppose it's time for the real hard work...

Louise
    Hi Louise I'm starting on Jan too! What date was your interview I wonder if you went the day I did. I'm very excited about starting!!!!
    Angela

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HI guys, thanks for some really useful advice on UCL Referees deadlines- I was wondering about that!

I do wonder if anyone knows for the two referees: They mention academic is preferred, but as I graduated 6 years ago- Would they prefer a somewhat out of date academic reference along with one from an SALT or a more recent work-related referee along with an SALT?

I don't know whether academic hands down 'beats' a more current, somewhat related work reference or not?

Help!!!
    Thanks!
    Lindsay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flightywhitey)
    HI guys, thanks for some really useful advice on UCL Referees deadlines- I was wondering about that!

I do wonder if anyone knows for the two referees: They mention academic is preferred, but as I graduated 6 years ago- Would they prefer a somewhat out of date academic reference along with one from an SALT or a more recent work-related referee along with an SALT?

I don't know whether academic hands down 'beats' a more current, somewhat related work reference or not?

Help!!!
    Thanks!
    Lindsay
    Hi Lindsay
    I havent used any academic references as i left uni in 2009 and it doesnt seem relevant to use a reference from Uni when it was so long ago, I dont think the Uni would even remember who I was so its more useful to upload two recent ones. I have used my current employer and the lady I volunteer with as references. Hope that helps!

Charlotte

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mari_Chuela)
    Ok, I'm going to sound like a complete dim wit! Is a university transcript just your degree certificate or is it a list of courses you've taken?

Hi

I have a question about uploading transcripts for the UCL application. I had to scan my transcript as JPEGs and put them into one Word document to upload them for the Reading application, however the UCL application only has two slots and they can only be max of 2MB, my whole document is 5MB and Im not sure how to upload it. Anyone else having a similar problem, or how else is everyone uploading their transcript?

Charlotte

ReputationRep:
    Also, do we definitely have to upload a Work Experience form? It doesn't mention it on the application form anywhere and it basically repeats alot of what I have written in the Employment section?

C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smorsgabord)
    Also, do we definitely have to upload a Work Experience form? It doesn't mention it on the application form anywhere and it basically repeats alot of what I have written in the Employment section?

C
    Hi, yes for UCL we have to upload the work experience form. Gives us a chance to give more detail about experiences. I uploaded mine under the cv section as the application form seems to be mostly generic for all masters rather than specific to salt. Hope this helps x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.