Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    I've been a newcastle fan long enough to assume nothing. Still can't quite believe it's come to this after last season.
    I remember Reading did a similar thing, finished top of the Championship. First season in EPL finished 8th which was impressive. Then they collapsed the next season.

Newcastle just lack depth is all. Fine when everyone's fit but as soon as you start getting injuries your back-up is weak. Doesn't help that HBA is a bit of a fragile one, shame because he's wonderful to watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzee)
    Good choice in team

The scenario was unfortunate this season, with many injuries, no recruits in the summer and more games with Europe it was inevitable that we would be in this position. Next season should be much much better.. it isn't the end of the season yet anyway we could still finish higher! :P
    lol I didn't really pick it I was born into it, probably would have been booted out the family unit if I'd gone the "other way"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    I remember Reading did a similar thing, finished top of the Championship. First season in EPL finished 8th which was impressive. Then they collapsed the next season.

Newcastle just lack depth is all. Fine when everyone's fit but as soon as you start getting injuries your back-up is weak. Doesn't help that HBA is a bit of a fragile one, shame because he's wonderful to watch.
    yeah it's always surprising to me how quickly things can turn round, especially at newcastle, it's always either total boom or total bust. at least it's not boring.

ReputationRep:
    Getting heated up.

Tweek didn't ipswich town do the same thing and even came above us when ranieri was in charge :lol: then got relegated the next season.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Villa go down on the last day so there's at least one positive to take from this god awful season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Getting heated up.

Tweek didn't ipswich town do the same thing and even came above us when ranieri was in charge :lol: then got relegated the next season.
    In the 00/01 season. Must be the Europa curse.

I still have that awful autoglass yellow away kit from that season. It's in the attic. First season of the JFH and Gudjohnsen partnership. Don't remember that much from that season with me being a young'un. Do remember this goal by Stanic though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Reckon Wigan will do it. They've been here before, they have more experience.
    Wigan to beat Villa on the last day and survive.

Wonder how many points Villa would have without Benteke this season.
    Having a very quick look through the results, I think they'd be left on around 19 points.

(Original post by jackf1337)
    I wonder how many points any given team would have without their top scorer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Wonder how many points Villa would have without Benteke this season.
    Where would Man U be without Van Persie?

It doesn't matter, Ferguson noted the need to score goals to win the league so signed RVP. Lambert acknowledged the need for goals for any hope of surviving relegation, so bought Benteke.

Anyway, onto more intelligent comments.

It is this next week and next week of fixtures that will be interesting.

Villa - Sun (h) and Nor (a),
    Stoke - Nor (h) and Sun (a)
    Sunderland - Villa (a) and Stoke (h)
    Norwich - Stoke (a) and Villa (h)

Wigan are away from this incestuous relationship with Spurs (h) and WBA (a).

From that, I think Villa really need 4 points minimum, and have to hope that Stoke or Norwich lose both their games as well as Wigan picking up a point maximum. If that occurs then I can see Wigan being cut off, and possibly almost down mathematically, with a gap up to all four of these teams on very similar points.

However, if Villa pick up 2 points or less from these two games, unfortunately I think we will be going down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    You villa fans are a sore bunch aren't ya! Quite laughable really.
    I don't understand this comment? He just stated the minimum number of points he feels we need to stay up, same as everybody else on the thread.

ReputationRep:
    Wigan to join QPR and Reading. Surely they can't pull another escape off!

ReputationRep:
    If Wigan win on the weekend, my money is on them to survive.

ReputationRep:
    If Villa beat Sunderland AND Norwich, then they won't have to beat Wigan last game of the season as I reckon they'll be safe. However it's a tall ask to win both of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    Did anyone else get warning points for spam?
    I got one for being "offensive" :rolleyes:

If Villa beat Sunderland AND Norwich, then they won't have to beat Wigan last game of the season as I reckon they'll be safe. However it's a tall ask to win both of those.
    I think we can beat Norwich, it's just hard to guess which way the Sunderland game will go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    I got one for being "offensive" :rolleyes:

I think we can beat Norwich, it's just hard to guess which way the Sunderland game will go.
    Norwich is difficult in my eyes as it's Lambert's old team so they are very familiar with his style and also they know that a win against us makes them all but safe. But on the other hand, Lambert knows them all inside out, so we'll see what happens. A must win game for us though.

As for Sunderland, I still haven't made up my mind for Paolo di Canio... Remember that Sunderland were excellent at the start of MoN's reign so hopefully "di Canio fever" has stopped by the time we play them.

It seems after last weekend that the battle for safety is now just between Villa and Wigan, since all the other teams just above them won (apart from Newcastle).

ReputationRep:
    Oooohh Wigan winning, Stoke winning....

ReputationRep:
    Spoke to soon! GOAL FOR TOTTENHAM GET IT!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I can't see Newcastle going down, not at all.

West Ham (A)
    QPR (A)
    Arsenal (H)

Sadly there are three points there and there's no way Wigan are getting nine.

ReputationRep:
    I hope Reading beat QPR today!

ReputationRep:
    It gets worse and worse for Wolves... next season they'll only have one sell-out fixture (v Walsall). Maybe more, who knows?

(oh yeah they were relegated from PL last season, survival in the Championship is now out of their control though)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by one2three_abc)
    Where would Man U be without Van Persie?
    Still top of the league, actually.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22285545

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.