Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selnec)
    When you see how deeply she broke communities in the North, you can understand it.
    As a Northerner from a working class family, who's grandfather was a Miner, I can say the extent of her damage was greatly exaggerated.

It was a dying industry which she mercifully put to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Erm, you might be able to change my mind if you could advise why it was a lie with a support of sorts. I haven't just plucked this out of thin air.
    I beg to differ. It is a wild factual inaccuracy. In fact, she was actively anti-apartheid. You simply don't get much more inaccurate.

Not only did she oppose apartheid outright, you may also wish to consider her supporting human rights for all South Africans, calling the ideology of apartheid "wholly unacceptable", condemning "repressive measures" adopted by the SA apartheid government. Indeed, she described her views as "strongly-held" and made "abundantly clear" - she said "I detest apartheid" and that it "must go".

She raised these points on numerous occasions with the South African government, even in public. You've entirely flipped and inverted what happened.

Even a cursory search on google and I have many hits, one including David Cameron apologising to Nelson Mandela for Thatchers failure to withdraw support for engaging with a country who installed this disgusting regime. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...es-413569.html
    Condemning the ANC, is not suggesting support for the other side. Let's not forget the ANC tortured and executed. They blew up civilian targets and murdered civilians. There was a hell of a lot to condemn there. Whether you want to consider Nelson Mandela a terrorist or not - and Lady Thatcher actually advocated his release to the SA Government - it must be recognised that there certainly were terrorists in the ANC who behaved appallingly, just as did some in the SA Government.

There was also a point about sanctions. Oddly enough, many of people who seem to have a problem with Tory opposing certain sanctions against SA were also the same people who oppose sanctions against other oppressive regimes because of their unintended consequences to civilians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyobz)
    cmon.. thats someones Mother..
    yea, the guy who organised a coup in africa to pocket money from the oil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I love Thatcher
    Well UB40 called her the ivory Madonna, a lady made out of cold stone, the first thing she did when she was in power was makint the rich ( very much ) richer, and the poor poorer, well i am not Jesus Christ also hey, but the fact that people hate her is not without reason.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myah_94)
    Why do lots of people dislike her
    She screwed over a hell of a lot of northern english families.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James82)
    You do realise that manufacturing output actually rose under Thatcher?
    when?

ReputationRep:
    Mining was a dying industry, technology and choice of fuel were the Mining Industries downfall. Face it.

Thatcher did a lot for the UK Armed Forces and everyone should be respectful for that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Just like people didn't gloat when Chavez died recently? However an interesting article...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...eath-etiquette

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who found the thread title a bit misleading? I thought reading that alone implied that OP was actually going to those parties celebrating her death. Perhaps that's why you got those negs? :dontknow:

That said, I agree that not only are those parties wrong, but also I don't really see much logic in celebrating her death. Hadn't she already been retired for a couple of decades anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shakkashakkaboom)
    All these despicable, nasty, vile comments on facebook and twitter have convinced me to vote Conservative in the next election. Labour supporters have definitely shown their true colours today. Scum.
    That's interesting indeed.

Looks like the loony left is full of hypocrites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James82)
    You do realise that manufacturing output actually rose under Thatcher?
    Really!
    I haven't heard that before!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edwinemanuelposse)
    Well UB40 called her the ivory Madonna, a lady made out of cold stone, the first thing she did when she was in power was makint the rich ( very much ) richer, and the poor poorer, well i am not Jesus Christ also hey, but the fact that people hate her is not without reason.....
    She wanted to reduce people's dependency on the government which is a noble aim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chappers-94)
    She screwed over a hell of a lot of northern english families.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nottingham doesn't seem that bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    She wasn't against working class- you do realise there are other working class jobs besides manufacturing yeh?
    Anyhow shop workers tend to have a higher life expectancy yhan miners!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by shakkashakkaboom)
    All these despicable, nasty, vile comments on facebook and twitter have convinced me to vote Conservative in the next election. Labour supporters have definitely shown their true colours today. Scum.
    Oi! Labour indeed.

Frankly it's not a bad thing to be celebrating, given the damage and hurt she caused to so many. This is that moment of relief when we realise that the person who caused so much **** has finally faced retribution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicodin)
    yes having parties is pretty horrible and disrespecful... but she did not save Britain. She destroyed the coaling industry here up north which was damaged alot of familes. That makes her pretty far from being 'brillaint', especially from being a 'feminist icon'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wiki Arthur Scargill. He had a part to play in what happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I was disgusted when I heard there will a big party on Saturday in Trafalgar Square to celebrate her death.

She was a brilliant woman- arguably her simply becoming the most powerful woman in the world meant she more than did her bit for 'feminism'.

She saved Britain.

She was not perfect but she was a much better leader than the ones we have had recently.

It is wrong to celebrate her death

Edit: How can I get negged for saying it's wrong to celebrate a person's death.. I'd post a similar thing if I heard people were celebrating Brown or Blair's death!
    Because apparently on TSR, if you say something sensible, many people neg you and some give you rep. If say something sex related you get lots of rep. If you quote other members take a mickey out of their posts, you get rep.

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher alone cannot be blamed for the collapse of the mining industry Scargill and the unions most definitely played their part. Our mines were dead on their feet, you can't escape the fact that it was cheaper to ship coal in from Australia than to mine it ourselves. I do however believe that the situation could have been dealt with more humanity - ex miners and their families should have been helped back into the job market, for example. And she also did help the country, just look up her stance in Europe she protected the country's interests. Just like any other leader there were good and bad points about her premiership. The biggest problem I have about judging her reign objectively is where people begin judging her as a leader and stop judging her as a woman.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by a729)
    I was disgusted when I heard there will a big party on Saturday in Trafalgar Square to celebrate her death.

She was a brilliant woman- arguably her simply becoming the most powerful woman in the world meant she more than did her bit for 'feminism'.

She saved Britain.

She was not perfect but she was a much better leader than the ones we have had recently.

It is wrong to celebrate her death

Edit: How can I get negged for saying it's wrong to celebrate a person's death.. I'd post a similar thing if I heard people were celebrating Brown or Blair's death!
    I'd probably guess it's because you said she was good for feminism despite her damaging womens rights and women in general, and saved Britain when she destroyed entire communities with her selfish "no such thing as society" crap.

Basically - she was an horrific person and denying that is prone to be marked with derision.

Now then, if you'll excuse me I need to go and get some tap-shoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Am I the only one who found the thread title a bit misleading? I thought reading that alone implied that OP was actually going to those parties celebrating her death. Perhaps that's why you got those negs? :dontknow:

That said, I agree that not only are those parties wrong, but also I don't really see much logic in celebrating her death. Hadn't she already been retired for a couple of decades anyway?
    The OP doesn't seem to make a lot of sense as written.

I read the outrage in the Mail this morning about all this. There were some comic tweets and remarks, some of them in bad taste, some moderately funny. As for the "party in Trafalgar Square", from the photos it looks like the usual SWP types looking to cause a bit of trouble. Not quite clear what difference they make to anything. There has also (apparently) been a bit of a street party in Brixton and one in Glasgow, according to hysterical reports in the media. From video clips and photos, these appear to consist of about a dozen SWP members in each.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...rixton-glasgow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.