The Student Room Group

Why abortion is wrong.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sheldor
Even build-a-bears? I hear they've become quite advanced in recent years.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I was looking at it scientifically in terms of whether they're alive at that point. Technically, they're parasites. But I suppose I'm just heartlessly clinical.

It depends at what point under what circumstance and for what reason (So few abortions occur past 20 weeks anyway) but there is the small matter of fact of when the foetus can reasonably survive outside the womb that determines the abortion limit. Of course, I understand why people would object to the current one as some have been survived at 23 Weeks and want the termination limit to be changed to, say, 22 Weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand what you mean, to be honest, while I have strong emotional feelings about this, I don't even know where I really stand with it all :confused:
Original post by Gray Wolf
I have a ball in my hand. I drop the ball, now with interfering without the ball it will most definitely fall to the floor. This is its natural cycle. I let go, ball falls, ball hits the ground. The fact that the ball will fall is a fact. Now let me ask you, what is the difference between me releasing the ball, catching it before it even leaves my hand and burning it and me dropping the ball and catching it half-way and burning it. The answer is; there is none! You end a natural cycle before its definite end, you kill of the emotions, the experiences it was definitely going to have; you have killed a person.

Now let me give you some statistics:

196,082 abortions in the UK in 2011
44,000,000 abortions (that is 44 million) in the world
Let me put this in to perspective, in 10 years you have killed more than the population of the united States.

7% of abortions are for either a consequence of rape or health problems to the mother. The rest is because of social reasons. This just infuriates me, if you don't kill your fellow man to steal his money why kill your own child?

Millions are killed every year because people are unable to make an emotional connection with them just because they are bound in a sack of skin. The same people that say "How could the Nazis kill millions of people" well they did it the same way you do!

(the You refers to everyone supporting abortion)

Thank you for reading,

Gray Wolf

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/24/abortion-statistics-england-wales

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/Sedgh-Lancet-2012-01.pdf

Okay, don't get me wrong I am no way in favor of abortion (excluding certain severe circumstances . But, the Nazis killing millions of people, is no way comparable to having an abortion. Sure, the abortion is taking away a potential life, but this is not the same as millions of innocent people getting killed that are already living. Abortion is a personal choice; if you feel that you are not financially and mentally prepared to have a child, and you don't want the child to suffer a low quality of life, then abortion may be justifiable. However, the Nazis killing people has not justification to it.
Original post by HopefulMidwife
I've already detailed above about the parallels in the practise.

And LOL.

Male circumcision is often done for health and hygiene reasons - there is no studies that relate to the developed countries that can prove, undoubtably, that it has any health benefits. As for hygeine, the foreskin is fused to the glans until puberty. Until it seperates, it should be cleaned like a finger and, post seperation, cleaned underneath. Like females. Cos you know we can get smegma too, right? It's not hard to wash, and if somebody can't be bothered to wash under their foreskin, possible infections down there are probably the least of their worries. Amputation is not a substitute for hygiene.

that sometimes link in with religion - religion is no excuse for anything, but even so, many people link religion in with FGM too. Again, religion can be used any way a person likes.

whereas FGM is done to reduce her pleasure whilst having sex -

Circumcision removes thousands of nerve endings from a male. They can still enjoy sex, but not to the extent that they could have without being circumcised. Not only that, but the foreskin HELPS WOMEN during sex too. It functions as a lubrication aid for man and woman, and facilitates in the sliding action. It impacts on sex lives too.

Also male circumcision is done whilst they are roughly 10 days old so leave no emotional trauma, whereas female one is done around the age of 7 or up.
- for a start, what makes you think that a child is impenetrable to trauma under a certain age? Just because a ten day old child is unable to verbalise what they have been through, it doesn't mean it doesn't cause trauma. If anything, I think it more traumatic for a newborn infant to be strapped down in a child shaped table and cut into without anastheatic. Not only that, but male circumcisions DO happen at older ages. My good friend had his done when he about 10 years old, with no anasthetic. Not only this, but evidence of trauma and shock can be seen on babies getting circumcised, and they often have trouble with breastfeeding, colic or attachment afterwards.

I think you should do some research about MGM before claiming FGM is worse.

Do not click unless you want to see a sawn up vagina fgm.jpg - do not try telling me that this isn't worse than the removal of foreskin.

Newborns do not have a conscious memory of pain. That's science for you.
Original post by dartanoir
Do not click unless you want to see a sawn up vagina fgm.jpg - do not try telling me that this isn't worse than the removal of foreskin.

Newborns do not have a conscious memory of pain. That's science for you.

Did you bother to read the post I wrote to Sheldor? THERE ARE FOUR DIFFERENT TYPES OF FGM.

Newborns feel pain though, right? That's science for you.

Negative experiences in early life can impact how you develop, emotionally or even physically. That's psychology for you - And, oh look, some neuroscience http://www.circumcision.org/brain.htm

And just to remind you of the four different types of FGM, in case you forgot - http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

Read this too before dismissing the pain and the effect of the pain on the baby - http://www.circumcision.org/response.htm

Another link for you, comparing FGM and MGM - oh, the shock, the horror! - http://www.circumstitions.com/FGMvsMGM.html
(edited 11 years ago)
abortion isn't right or wrong, it just is. it happens and the world marches on as before.
Did you bother to read the post I wrote to Sheldor? THERE ARE FOUR DIFFERENT TYPES OF FGM.

Newborns feel pain though, right? That's science for you.

Negative experiences in early life can impact how you develop, emotionally or even physically. That's psychology for you.

And just to remind you of the four different types of FGM, in case you forgot - http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs241/en/

And do not click unless you want to see a newborn male being mutilated - http://www.bestgore.com/sexual-disaster/barbarism-infant-circumcision/

Even if we talk about other types of FGM - the most common type involves the removal of the clitoris - the most sensitive erogenous zone and primary source of female sexual pleasure. Whereas the removal of foreskin - whilst makes sex more difficult - doesn't completely stop men from enjoying it.
Original post by edithwashere
Yeah, I don't think pro-lifers ever actually consider what it might be like to have an abortion. People who act like I'm a selfish cow who doesn't use contraception, when they don't even know my circumstances... :angry:

To think it's a lightly taken decision is also a load of rubbish. EVERY girl who's ever had a preg scare knows quite how horrid it is. They were two of the worst days of my life, but I'd do it again if I had to. Abortions happen whether they are "allowed" or not. It is the responsibility of a decent government to make sure all women can access them safely and without judgement should they need to.

I agree, I think these anti-choice people need to have a good think about what it must be like for someone who discovers they've become pregnant by accident. I've had a pregnancy scare before and it is something I hope I never have to go through again, thankfully it was a false alarm but I can't describe how scared I was.

I can only hope that I never have to have an abortion, and as such I take precautions, but I'm glad that I live in a country where women have this choice. So many women across the world aren't so lucky.
Even if we talk about other types of FGM - the most common type involves the removal of the clitoris - the most sensitive erogenous zone and primary source of female sexual pleasure. Whereas the removal of foreskin - whilst makes sex more difficult - doesn't completely stop men from enjoying it.

It's like you've completely disregarded everything I've said and shown to you. I don't think I can be bothered with you anymore.

:rolleyes:
ball?
It's like you've completely disregarded everything I've said and shown to you. I don't think I can be bothered with you anymore.

How strange - I thought exactly the same thing :rolleyes:
I swear you're just arguing for the sake of it now. Fact is - FGM is worse than male circumcision, but nonetheless infant circumcision needs to be banned as it should be the men's right what to do with their bodies.
Reply 130
Because it is not right

Posted from TSR Mobile
I swear you're just arguing for the sake of it now. Fact is - FGM is worse than male circumcision, but nonetheless infant circumcision needs to be banned as it should be the men's right what to do with their bodies.

Having spoken to a fair number of circumcised blokes, I wholeheartedly agree. Circumcision ought to be the individual's choice, but for males (unless there are complications) it barely affects their quality of life. Some of them (particularly in the US, where it's considered completely normal) even prefer it to the possibility of having a foreskin. FGM is a whole other ball park.
Oh god, I can't stand these it's "MY body, it's MY right" arguments. What about the rights of the child growing inside of you? Have you forgotten that it was YOUR body that had the desire to have sex, and you decided to follow that instinct. You knew the risks, so you need to realise that sometimes your body isn't going to be under your control. Accept it, and learn to deal with consequences.

Abortion makes me so sad, and so angry.
It always strikes me in the abortion debate that of all the voices making their opinions, none of them are women who have had abortions.

I've had two. Best decisions of my life. Ask me nicely and I might even give some more details, but I'll be damned if I'm going to try and justify my decisions to some moron on the internet who has no idea what abortion entails emotionally and physically.

(Now, lets see how many pro-lifers neg me!) :rolleyes:

I've had one.
I'd have another-heck I'd have another ten if I was unlucky enough to have so many accidents.

And yes I will give details if they're required. Not for one minute did I reconsider and nor do I regret it.
Reply 134
Original post by Ultimate1
Do you agree that if you don't want to pay child support then don't have sex?

I don't get this? You pay 'child support' whether you have sex or not. I'm assuming, by that comment, you're attempting to divert the subject from abortion to 'I HATE DEM HYPOKRITKAL FEMINAZIS YEAH' so I'll cut you off.

Consenting to have sex is nothing more than consent to have sex.

However, once a child is born, it's either the biological father and mother pay for it, or the rest of society does (i.e, it's given up for adoption and funded by the taxpayer).

If one parent (father or mother) was to give up financial responsibility for it, the taxpayer would fund it through extra benefits and what not.

If you're OK with contributing more tax money in order to remove financial responsibility from parents, then that's fine. Yey, end of convo.

Do you know what? Whatever. I'd rather debate with an intellectual mind, than a 'feminist' who chooses to ignore the facts and instead bleats out the same thing over and over again.

LOL.
Original post by Gray Wolf

196,082 abortions in the UK in 2011
44,000,000 abortions (that is 44 million) in the world
Let me put this in to perspective, in 10 years you have killed more than the population of the united States.

Well, the world is overpopulated already...

Anyway, I fail to see how it counts as a life when it is incapable of existing outside the mother's body?

The way I see it, once the fetus can be kept alive outside the woman's body, it should not be aborted because it is a life in it's own right. Before that, it's part of the woman and she can do what she likes with it.

I don't think I would ever have an abortion myself, but I understand completely why others might wish to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Having spoken to a fair number of circumcised blokes, I wholeheartedly agree. Circumcision ought to be the individual's choice, but for males (unless there are complications) it barely affects their quality of life. Some of them (particularly in the US, where it's considered completely normal) even prefer it to the possibility of having a foreskin. FGM is a whole other ball park.

I have explained, more than once, that FGM comes in more than one form.

And I know a girl who's been circumcised, and she supports it for males and females. So it clearly doesn't affect the quality of life for some people.
I have explained, more than once, that FGM comes in more than one form.

And I know a girl who's been circumcised, and she supports it for males and females. So it clearly doesn't affect the quality of life for some people.

Sounds like she's brainwashed. I read your posts, I'm not refuting them. I'm just stating that in general, FGM is far more severe than male circumcision, and the arguments that can be made to support male circumcision (which I disagree with) can't be made in the same way for FGM. didn't mean for it all to get into such a big argument. Weren't we talking about abortions somewhere before :tongue:
Sounds like she's brainwashed. I read your posts, I'm not refuting them. I'm just stating that in general, FGM is far more severe than male circumcision, and the arguments that can be made to support male circumcision (which I disagree with) can't be made in the same way for FGM. didn't mean for it all to get into such a big argument. Weren't we talking about abortions somewhere before :tongue:

I agree, I think she is too, but then I think that applies to victims of MGM too. Especially those from cultures where it's normal. Many FGM victims think it's normal, hell, they take their daughters to get it done! I'm just saying, we shouldn't take the victim's noncholant attitude to think it's okay.

The thing is, people think they're so different, but like I said, there are so many parallels. I posted a link which explains all of that, and shows the same excuses are made. It's just that MGM also happens in developed countries, and is seen as normal, so of course we are going to think it's less important or not as bad.

I'm not sure of the specific numbers, but it may be that the less severe types of FGM are more prominant, but we mostly hear about the severe forms.

Haha, yes, we were! I didn't even wanna get into this conversation about MGM because it rarely ends well, and it's so close to my heart I just get upset. I don't actually like debating, I'm just drawn to it :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending