Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    I haven't flown with Ryan Air, but if it's much worse than Easy Jet thank God I never have!
    I wouldn't say Ryanair are too bad, but they just charge for everything! My dad and I are going to Barcalona on Sunday and if we were to take even 1 item of luggage between us, the cost of our ticket would double!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    I cannot stand kids at all. Knowing my luck there will be a herd of screaming brats sitting behind me :/
    Unfortunetly, I am travelling in economy
    It depends on the airline tbh, I haven't traveled through Reykjavik ever but dont you have Etihad or finnair? they offer a pretty decent economy class...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    not £200, but a flight that says £15.99 on the front page actually costs £72.99 each way. £50 for a bag is a lot more expensive that easy jet.
    No they don't. They include the full price you pay (excluding card charge and extras) in the headline prices on the front page. They may have done in the past, but all low cost airlines did this, and were not as cheap on average.

Go right ahead and see if you can find one... There are lots of flights for £15.99 on their front page. There are flights available for £15.99, it's not their fault if the flight you want is oversubscribed and the price has gone up...

The bag fee is £25/£35 and that is one way. Even with that being about £10 more than Easyjet, Easyjet charge much more for their flights on average.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AchingGrapes)
    did that exact flight to Reykjavik on easyjet last year! I love flying, the views when taking off and landing are amazing. Your ears will pop a bit though, just keep swallowing and suck on a boiled sweet or something. have fun in Iceland, have you been there before?
    Nope, I have never been to Iceland or been on a plane before :O hence the nerves lol and thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, its like a bus, except you have seatbelts. And people walk up and down and try sell you things. And it has jet engines.

Oh, and it flies.

But basically, its like a bus.

Airports are like bus stations, except there is a little more security and you have to get there about two hours early. Most airlines close "check in" about 45 minutes before the flight, unlike buses where you can just hop on before it scoots off. People try sell you more things in the airport version than your typical bus station.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Someone seems to like Ryanair a little.... Too much.
    I like Ryanair a lot.

If they can get me from where they say they will take me to where they will say they will take me at the price they say they will take me (which is coincidentally almost always cheaper than their competition) and we arrive when they say they will, then there is no problem.

There's nothing dishonest or sneaky about it, everyone knows they make their money through extra charges and book on the day (or with little notice) flights - which is fine by me, because I'm not interested in availing myself of these extras or services so I don't have to pay extra for those that do.

Sure, they are strict about their policies, but I don't see a problem with that either. It's not exactly a surprise, and these are all made clear to you before you book. Frankly I'm happy for others to get charged extra for extras if it keeps the cost down for those of us capable of reading.

ReputationRep:
    Turbulence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Effing boring. Drinking before getting on the plane, combined with the reduced air pressure, means you can usually sleep through most of it...

ReputationRep:
    its dull, youre on a relatively short haul flight though so shouldnt be to bad although easy jet arent known for comfort... nothing to threat about though just try and get a seat over the wing, less turbulane... i had the misfortune to book a grabaseat ticket [very cheap] right at the arse of the plane where the turblance is worst and you can hear the engines loudest... coffe over my lap was not fun -_-

ReputationRep:
    I recommend you take a painkiller 30-45 minutes before take off and landing because for some people, it can cause severe headaches (very sharp pains from tooth,cheekbone and nose).

and no it's not dental related-some say it's sinus related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    Well, its like a bus, except you have seatbelts. And people walk up and down and try sell you things. And it has jet engines.

Oh, and it flies.

But basically, its like a bus.

Airports are like bus stations, except there is a little more security and you have to get there about two hours early. Most airlines close "check in" about 45 minutes before the flight, unlike buses where you can just hop on before it scoots off. People try sell you more things in the airport version than your typical bus station.
    But when the bus engine stops, you slow down and get off. When the plane engine stops...

ReputationRep:
    Keep moving your feet up and down to avoid getting deep vein thrombosis, which is a nasty condition that can be fatal. On a short flight it shouldn't be such a problem though, but I like to keep getting up out of my seat to walk about. Try to drink as much free wine and beer as you can when you are not on a budget flight as it makes the time go more pleasantly..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My flight is at 6:30pm from Edinburgh. Should I be at the airport for around 4pm?

ReputationRep:
    My flight is at 6:30pm from Edinburgh. Should I be at the airport for around 4pm?
    Aim to be at the airport at least two hours before the flight, if you think there may be traffic problems, leave earlier...

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

My mum was never keen on travelling so hence why I've never been on a plane.

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

I'm going to Reykjavik and flying from Edinburgh with EasyJet.

Thanks peeps!
    The first time I went on a 'plane was last April and I flew to Reykjavik on a school trip. I was really nervous about it but it was fine - we had to take a detour due to turbulence and our landing was rough due to adverse weather conditions but apart from that it wasn't too bad. I would suggest taking some chewing gum on the flight to unblock your ears - I flew with Icelandair and haven't flown since so I don't know what it's like with other airlines! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The best bit, in my opinion, is taking off - you kind of get an adrenaline rush when the plane is building up speed along the runway and its nose tilts towards the sky
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by daisystones)
    The first time I went on a 'plane was last April and I flew to Reykjavik on a school trip. I was really nervous about it but it was fine - we had to take a detour due to turbulence and our landing was rough due to adverse weather conditions but apart from that it wasn't too bad. I would suggest taking some chewing gum on the flight to unblock your ears - I flew with Icelandair and haven't flown since so I don't know what it's like with other airlines! Good luck!
    Oh that's cool you have been to Reykjavik! What did you think of the city? I don't know anyone who has been and I always get asked why the hell have I chosen to go to Iceland not somewhere warm lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

My mum was never keen on travelling so hence why I've never been on a plane.

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

I'm going to Reykjavik and flying from Edinburgh with EasyJet.

Thanks peeps!
    It's claustrophobic

The air quality isn't great
    Make sure you don't sit next to a over weight person, not that you can control that LOL.

Make sure you've gone toilet before the boarding, plane toilets eurgrhh, they're like train loos.

Let me describe the flight.
    The best bit of the flight is when the plane is speeding up really quick, it feels mental.

Then you'll feel the need to hold tight and sit back because the plane is leaving the land at full tilt, slowly and smoothly up you go.

Then your ears pop. You might feel ill, so take some tablets with you in case.

Being above the clouds is surreal.

You'll notice the plane gets lower and lower in stages.
    Then you're below the clouds.
    Then a slight tremble and jolt you've landed.
    Then you wait bloody ages until you can de-board the plane.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's cool you have been to Reykjavik! What did you think of the city? I don't know anyone who has been and I always get asked why the hell have I chosen to go to Iceland not somewhere warm lol.
    The city is absolutely beautiful - please tell me that you're going to visit volcanoes and waterfalls and not just stay in the city? The airport at Keflavik (I'm assuming that's where you're flying to) is outside of the city so it is a bit of a drive. But the airport is really in the middle of nowhere and as soon as you step outside all you can see is mountains and lava fields. Reykjavik is just really clean and quite simple really. Everything seems to have it's 'place' and the people are lovely. Are you visiting Perlan? That overlooks the city - I'll try and attach a photo! When we went in April we had warmer weather than here in the UK so it's swings and roundabouts! When are you going? Great choice of destination! Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370106896.853143.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  73.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by daisystones)
    The city is absolutely beautiful - please tell me that you're going to visit volcanoes and waterfalls and not just stay in the city? The airport at Keflavik (I'm assuming that's where you're flying to) is outside of the city so it is a bit of a drive. But the airport is really in the middle of nowhere and as soon as you step outside all you can see is mountains and lava fields. Reykjavik is just really clean and quite simple really. Everything seems to have it's 'place' and the people are lovely. Are you visiting Perlan? That overlooks the city - I'll try and attach a photo! When we went in April we had warmer weather than here in the UK so it's swings and roundabouts! When are you going? Great choice of destination! Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370106896.853143.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  73.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me and my boyfriend leave on 6th June and come back on 13th Yeah we are planning to do things outside of the city. Two things we have booked so far is on 8th June we are going whale watching and then the tour company takes us on the golden circle tour which features volcanos, geysirs and waterfalls and on 10th we are going to the blue lagoon. We are renting a car over there so we will end up all over the place lol

I've heard of the Perlan and think we will visit there too

There is a 24 hour self service ice cream parlour across the road from where we are staying apparently! :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.