Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YMLT)
    3rd explosion in a library apparently
    Is this the 3rd explosion that was reported to be detonated by Police or a 4th explosion?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22149863

"Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English speaking countries." I think we could all benefit from remembering this choice phrase before we start talking about the recent Boston bombings. Let the article abovebe testament to this. How can you say how tragic the Boston bombings were when equal, if not more tragic, events are transpiring even this very day. Hundreds are murdered everyday in Iraq in attacks like these and the West doesn't bat an eyelid, its shocking. Wake up.

Though of course I understand that the explosions in Boston were tragic and that these kind of incidents are unexpected in the US.

ReputationRep:
    Belligerence, humanity's favourite pastime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    REUTERS: Police have confirmed another explosion at JFK library in Boston in U.S.
    That apparently is just an unrelated fire.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it's al Qaeda or any such group.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22149863

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfy^)
    That apparently is just an unrelated fire.
    Devices could be on a timer, simple to do if the person is skilled with electronics. We will wait and see what the police have to say.
    Edit: fire related indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EleanorKeats)
    "Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English speaking countries." I think we could all benefit from remembering this choice phrase before we start talking about the recent Boston bombings. Let the article below be testament to this. How can you say how tragic the Boston bombings were when equal, if not more tragic, events are transpiring even this very day. Hundreds are murdered everyday in Iraq in attacks like these and the West doesn't bat an eyelid, its shocking. Wake up.

Though of course I understand that the explosions in Boston were tragic and that these kind of incidents are unexpected in the US.
    I don't think now is the time for politics lessons from Scroobius Pip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DK_Tipp)
    Political point scoring is one thing but I can't help feeling we give far more weight to these things when they occur in English speaking countries then when al-Qaeda rips through Baghdad or the Israelis and Hamas fire missiles at each other regardless of who's children might be in the way...

Otherwise did anyone see those Boston nurses interviewed? Very impressive. Very professional and tough as nails.
    Events like these are awful but the professionalism and kindness shown by other people is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EleanorKeats)
    "Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English speaking countries." I think we could all benefit from remembering this choice phrase before we start talking about the recent Boston bombings. Let the article below be testament to this. How can you say how tragic the Boston bombings were when equal, if not more tragic, events are transpiring even this very day. Hundreds are murdered everyday in Iraq in attacks like these and the West doesn't bat an eyelid, its shocking. Wake up.

Because of Islam. the US is not a Muslim country. Granted it has it's own brand of lunatics...

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone do such a thing? Destruction, loss of life it never fails to disgust me what people can do.

R.I.P. to all that have sadly lost their lives and thoughts to all families involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YMLT)
    3rd explosion in a library apparently
    na that's the second explosion, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah, appears to be just a fire.

They used a water cannon as well earlier, which some mistook for an explosion.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The BBC are saying it could just be the confirmed bomb of the second location or a controlled explosion.

Goodness me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    I know............ but whats happened will lead eventual conspiracy theories...

I think it entirely depends on who carried out the attacks, as large chunk of their budget does go into missions outside of the US. It will also cause hysteria and paranoia among people, senators, etc, even more pressure to step up security which could lead to issues.

I just hope the perpetrator is caught and truth will come out.
    It wouldn't be the best way to drum up support. Much easier and safer ways, so it would be a pretty desperate conspiracy theory. Post 9/11 an actual attack wouldn't be required.

It doesn't really matter, it matter what people think. If people feel threatened the war on terror will still be relevant to the American people.

I would imagine they will be pretty easily. The bombs seem pretty small time and with unexploded devices, I'm guessing the forensic teams will be able to get on the trail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Dead)
    na that's the second explosion, isn't it?
    Reuters were reporting it as a separate 3rd explosion.

Conflicting reports that its an unrelated fire.

ReputationRep:
    HOLY ****, thats two big news story in two consecutive mondays now......

what will happen next monday??

ReputationRep:
    I know everyone's gut reaction was Al Qaeda, but how about someone working for the North Koreans?

We were warned to look out for 15th April and no one would suspect them sneaking a guy in through China or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YMLT)
    Reuters were reporting it as a separate 3rd explosion.

Conflicting reports that its an unrelated fire.
    I hate news reports, I'm not listening to the scanner anymore but a previous poster mentioned it was police confirmed a fire related incident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenrirs_space)
    Apparently ball bearings were found, which may give them an idea to the possible groups who did this
    Ridiculous comment. Do you think you think cyclists did this? after getting angry that they couldn't fix their hubs?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.