Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    Yes, I think so! Depends on what comes up I guess! What you aiming for?
    I'm aiming for an A as I know I can do it! Wouldn't be disappointed with a B though! You?

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for what topics will come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtaki14)
    Any predictions for what topics will come up?
    PREDICTIONS!!!!-Oxygen curve, bohr shift,haemoglobin, carbon dioxide stuff, translocation , cell division, spirometer .. Anymore suggestions ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Majeue)
    What have you guys got in your QQE practicals out of 40?
    We don't get ours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo)
    PREDICTIONS!!!!-Oxygen curve, bohr shift,haemoglobin, carbon dioxide stuff, translocation , cell division, spirometer .. Anymore suggestions ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    NOOOO!!

I think a big written question on mitosis. I've only ever seen ordering pictures and stuff. Also the formation of tissue fluid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Plant transport, mainly sucrose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    We don't get ours
    I only got 33 and the highest in my whole year was like 36 or 37. How the hell did you guys get 38 and above? Is our teacher just a really harsh marker?

ReputationRep:
    I only got 33 and the highest in my whole year was like 36 or 37. How the hell did you guys get 38 and above? Is our teacher just a really harsh marker?
    I think i've done well, i know i got full marks on one of them. We don't get them as they have to be moderated etc etc...It would really help if i knew though!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the spec last changed?! Just did a past paper from a few years ago and some of the stuff shocked me! Need to know whether its due to spec change or im reaaally behind on revison!!!

(Original post by otrivine)
    Can you test me on module 1 and 2 ! ill test you on plants

Give the role of xylem and Phloem (4 marks)
    xylem: carries water from the roots up the plant into the leaves by tension and cohesion (i think) from the loss of water through the stomata- transpiration.

Phloem: Carries a sucrose solution from source to sink through mass flow (i think)- sucrose is loaded into the the seive tube elements through active transport.

Not from a past paper, but: Explain why smokers are more likely to suffer from lung infections than non smokers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wndms)
    Question! You know how animal cells divide by mitosis for growth and repair, then what does a plant cell do? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They also undergo mitosis, for the same reasons; growth, repair and replacement. Some also do it for asexual reproduction. Only difference is in cytokinesis, instead of the membrane 'nipping in' a cell plate forms where the spindle equator was and then a new membrane + cell wall forms along it.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janedough)
    Does anyone know when the spec last changed?! Just did a past paper from a few years ago and some of the stuff shocked me! Need to know whether its due to spec change or im reaaally behind on revison!!!
    The OCR website has papers from Jan 2009 onwards, so I am guessing between summer 2008 and then.

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody able to help me with the whole of the Translocation/mass flow topic.

Thanks

ReputationRep:

xylem: carries water from the roots up the plant into the leaves by tension and cohesion (i think) from the loss of water through the stomata- transpiration.

Phloem: Carries a sucrose solution from source to sink through mass flow (i think)- sucrose is loaded into the the seive tube elements through active transport.

Not from a past paper, but: Explain why smokers are more likely to suffer from lung infections than non smokers
    I believe it changed at the end of the 2008 sittings. I did a 07 paper and didn't recognise lots of things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilkes14)
    Is anybody able to help me with the whole of the Translocation/mass flow topic.

Thanks
    Pretty straightforward.

Firstly, the loading of sucrose into the phloem at the source:

1. Hydrogen ions are actively pumped out of the companion cells into the surrounding tissues. This builds up a high concentration of hydrogen ions outside the companion cells.

2. The hydrogen ions diffuse down the concentration gradient, they diffuse back through special co-transporter proteins which allow sucrose to diffuse into the companion cell at the same time.

3. This builds up a high concentration of sucrose in the companion cells, which then diffuse into the sieve-tube elements via plasmodesmata.

Next we look at how the sucrose moves from the source to the sink:

1. The diffusion of sucrose into the sieve tube element lowers the water potential of the phloem, causing water to enter the sieve tube element via osmosis down the water potential gradient.

2. The water increases the hyrdostatic pressure at the source, this causes water, along with the sucrose, to move from the area of hydrostatic pressure to an area of low hydrostatic pressure, the sink. This is mass flow.

At the sink:

1. The cells at the sink have a low sucrose concentration, so the sucrose moves from the phloem into the surrounding tissues.

2. Water also leaves the sieve tube element for the same reasons as before (although the start and finish have swapped). The sucrose lowers water potential in the surrounding cells and thus water leaves the sieve tube element via osmosis, down a water potential gradient.

Sucrose has now been translocated from the source to the sink!

ReputationRep:
    Explain why smokers are more likely to suffer from lung infections than non smokers
    Cigarettes contains known carcinogens which can cause mutations in cells which can lead to cancer, it can also lead to Chronic bronchitis, emphysema and COPD. Can cause bronchitis as smoke is an irritant and swells up the linings in your bronchus leading to overproduction of mucus. Cilia on epithelial cells can also be damaged due to smoking so bacteria-ridden mucus cannot be wafted towards the trachea and be digested, the bacteria multiply and this leads to infection.

Not done much for F211 at all. I'm definitely doing an all nighter tonight...

ReputationRep:
    Someone explain to me what Bohr Shift is...

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said he was really harsh on them. I got 40, but revised all the topics we'd just done and looked at practical techniques before doing each coursework task, and that always helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prabin)
    Someone explain to me what Bohr Shift is...
    Respiring tissues need oxygen. Respiring tissues prose carbon dioxide and thus h+ ions . Due to haemoglobin having a greater affinity for h+ than oxygen , oxyhemoglobin releases the oxygen
    High partial presure of carbon dioxide means less oxygen associated with haemoglobin

So the presence of carbon dioxide causes the oxyhemoglobin curve to shift to right ..

Does that make sense ? I'm a really bad explainer haha.. Hence the resit -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizz-ie)
    My teacher said he was really harsh on them. I got 40, but revised all the topics we'd just done and looked at practical techniques before doing each coursework task, and that always helped.
    I did the same though? I find it kind of unfair to be honest and that's why i hate coursework.. cause some schools just give their pupil's the answers, not saying you got given them, but i know of schools that do just tell the pupils the answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    I know it's ridiculous isn't it. Same in my school!
    Yeah, what mark did you get :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 22, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.