Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How close do you believe Messi and Ronaldo are? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    this. we've seen do his dirt ronaldo for united, madrid and portugal. messi outside barcelona (i.e. argentina) looks confused
    Give up. The guy must be pretty special to have a Barcelona team built around him.

What will you say if (and quite possibly when) Portugal don't make the World Cup?

ReputationRep:
    aka aka aaaaaaakkkkkkkiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnfe nwaaaaaaaaaaa

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona do play for messi. When guardiola came he gave deco and ronaldinho and (a year later) etoo the boot. He built the team around messi - he saw the potential in him. This hasn't been mentioned enough on the thread; the Barcelona team we're seeing now and saw in recent seasons is a messi-driven and built team. Without him, the team doesn't look complete and certainly can't compete at Europe's top level.

However, he's still better than Cristiano. Messi is the best footballer to have ever graced the game and in my eyes, the likes of pele and maradona are still better than cristiano. By that logic, messi is quite some way ahead of ronaldo.

ReputationRep:
    Messi is better.

The gap isn't a million miles but Messi is better.

But IMO even Messi is shaded by Zidane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Messi is better.

The gap isn't a million miles but Messi is better.

But IMO even Messi is shaded by Zidane.
    Zidane was my favourite player ever. Then Messi played.

How anyone can think Zidane is better is mystifying. Messi is 25 and has won more trophies than Zidane did in his entire career. I know Zidane has won a World Cup, but I would actually suggest only one Champions League title could be seen as a bit of a failure.

I'm not too interested in trophies won, but some folk seem obsessed with it, especially the World Cup. However, I am interested in watching natural talent at its very best and Messi has shown me a level of talent I could never, ever have imagined.

ReputationRep:

SUP?

some of the passes u are seeing in that vid messi dreams of being able to do
    Simply amazing, his passing ability is massively underrated!

The game against Athletic Bilbao on the weekend demonstrated again how versatile he is. The first goal was a stunning free-kick, individual brilliance. His second was a magnificent header and he then he got a really good assist, by playing a fancy pass to create an opening for Higuain.

ReputationRep:
    Messi is marginally better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Give up. The guy must be pretty special to have a Barcelona team built around him.

What will you say if (and quite possibly when) Portugal don't make the World Cup?
    i'll say what i've always said - that messi and c.ronaldo aren't in the same class as zidane/maradona/pele/fat ronaldo

Zidane was my favourite player ever. Then Messi played.
    you were never a zidane fan. zidane fans know what zidane can do with a football

How anyone can think Zidane is better is mystifying.
    LOL

Messi is 25 and has won more trophies than Zidane did in his entire career.
    is this guy serious? u say u used to be a zidane fan then come out with "messi has won more trophies than zidane did" haha, that's how i know ur clueless. zidane is the most decorated player in the planet - he has won everything club/country/individual. look at this: http://zidanen.free.fr/titulos-en.html.

messi/c.ronaldo would kill to win all of those titles/awards/cups. people say "one man can't win a world cup on his own" but did they not see zidane single-handedly carry france to the final in 06? i've never seen somebody with that talent, he played football like it was a game of chess

and what are u talking about? at 25 zidane staged the worlds greatest world cup performance in the final (an event messi can only dream of playing in):

ZZ was a player who's ability relied on intelligence and technique, which is why he kept improving with age. messi relies on pace which he will lose. he was already a better player in 2009-2010 / 2010-2011 than he is now

I'm not too interested in trophies won, but some folk seem obsessed with it, especially the World Cup. However, I am interested in watching natural talent at its very best and Messi has shown me a level of talent I could never, ever have imagined.
    u might aswell just masturbate over this, serious talk

ReputationRep:
    you were never a zidane fan. zidane fans know what zidane can do with a football
    Grow up.

u say u used to be a zidane fan then come out with "messi has won more trophies than zidane did" haha, that's how i know ur clueless.
    Messi has won more trophies, given that 19 is more than 15. He has also won far more individual awards, including 4 Ballon D'Ors and holds an incredible number of individual records.

u might aswell just masturbate over this, serious talk
    Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    this. we've seen ronaldo do his dirt for united, madrid and portugal. messi outside barcelona (i.e. argentina) looks confused
    Yes, I'm sure he looks very confused after scoring 12 goals in 9 games for them last year and at the same time getting them to 3rd in the world rankings..

ReputationRep:
    I've got one word for Messi.

Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Litterbug)
    Ronaldo is the better player in my opinion.
    Barcelona play a system where everything is directed through Messi. He scores all of their goals. That's why he always wins the Golden boot. But if Messi wasn't in the side- other players from Barcelona would score more goals. Its as if the 10 players on the pitch have to compromise their talent and game just to let Messi have all the limelight and get all the goals.
    Cristiano is totally different. Benzema and Higuain also score an incredible amount of goals (like that season when they both got over 30), but Ronaldo still manages to score an insane amount. Imagine that Ronaldo was played up top on his own with no competition, and all of Real Madrid's play was directed towards him- how many goals could he get? I'm not saying he would get more than Messi or anything but you can't base everything between the players on goals because Messi gets so many more goals because the whole team makes sure he does; Ronaldo gets goals in spite of other players also scoring many.
    I think ultimately that will be Barcelona's downfall. Its not that they are over-reliant on Messi, but it is that they are so used to giving him the ball and giving him all the goals because that's the way they play. Like the first half against PSG- they looked totally lost.
    I'm probably going to get about 50 negs for this post but I don't really care- its my opinion and I personally think that many people (including the media) read too much into Messi's goals without actually realising that Barcelona basically play for him.
    You fail to understand the basics of football tbh.

Both Madrid and Barca are built around Ronaldo and Messi. Both of Higuian/Benzema and Villa/Pedro have to sacrifice their game for the team.

Ronaldo might play on the wing and Messi slightly deeper but they are their teams main outlets and are meant to be on the end of everything. Ultimately, the other attacking players on their teams are distractions to allow them to do their thing.

And btw, Benzema and Higuian have never both scored 30+ in a season. Plus, you fail to mention the sheer amount of shots that Ronaldo has in comparison to everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    Yes, I'm sure he looks very confused after scoring 12 goals in 9 games for them last year and at the same time getting them to 3rd in the world rankings..
    like i said.. messi can spank ****ty spanish teams like getafe and score goals for argentina in friendlies all he wants - if he can't do it in big games (the ones that actually matter) it means nothing. its like boasting about someone's pre-season friendly performance rofl

zidane played in 2 world cups: won one and was a finalist in the other (both times france's star player)

messi has also played in 2 world cups: twice a semi-finalist, and hasn't shone either time let alone be their best player

ronaldo won't win a world cup either, but at least he is portugal's star player in every major competition (euro/WC)

Messi has won more trophies, given that 19 is more than 15. He has also won far more individual awards, including 4 Ballon D'Ors and holds an incredible number of individual records.
    zidane has won fifa world player of the year 3 times brudda and the only trophies/titles worth mentioning for messi are la liga and champions league (both of which zidane has already won). it's more impressive because:

a) he spent over half of his career in the french league playing for some unknown team (bordeaux). messi has spent his entire career at barcelona, aka "the greatest team of all time". even then, zidane has won more than messi. he went to italy - won everything. moved on to spain - won everything. represented france - won everything. ZZ proved that he can do his dirt with any set of players in his team, whereas messi has shown that outside of barcelona he is nothing but a confused argentinian midget

b) he played in the golden age of football (the most competitive period). he won it ahead of players like fat ronaldo, ronaldinho, henry etc. who is messi's competition? c.ronaldo? lool. guarantee u that if messi played in the zidane era he would have won sweet **** all. and fifa are just creaming messi tbh, how he won it ahead of iniesta this year is ridiculous.

talk to me when messi can come out of retirement as an old man and single-handedly carry argentina to the world cup final (an event which he wont even participate in at his prime)

ReputationRep:
    like i said.. messi can spank ****ty spanish teams like getafe and score goals for argentina in friendlies all he wants - if he can't do it in big games (the ones that actually matter) it means nothing. its like boasting about someone's pre-season friendly performance rofl

zidane played in 2 world cups: won one and was a finalist in the other (both times france's star player)

messi has also played in 2 world cups: twice a semi-finalist, and hasn't shone either time let alone be their best player

zidane has won fifa world player of the year 3 times brudda and the only trophies/titles worth mentioning for messi are la liga and champions league (both of which zidane has already won). it's more impressive because:

a) he spent over half of his career in the french league playing for some unknown team (bordeaux). messi has spent his entire career at barcelona, aka "the greatest team of all time". even then, zidane has won more than messi. he went to italy - won everything. moved on to spain - won everything. represented france - won everything. ZZ proved that he can do his dirt with any set of players in his team, whereas messi has shown that outside of barcelona he is nothing but a confused argentinian midget

b) he played in the golden age of football (the most competitive period). he won it ahead of players like fat ronaldo, ronaldinho, henry etc. who is messi's competition? c.ronaldo? lool. guarantee u that if messi played in the zidane era he would have won sweet **** all. and fifa are just creaming messi tbh, how he won it ahead of iniesta this year is ridiculous.

talk to me when messi can come out of retirement as an old man and (without any training) single-handedly carry argentina to the world cup final (an event which he can't even participate in at his prime)
    You spout so much **** its unreal.

ReputationRep:
    zizou:

looool are u seeing this. zidane has won every possible trophy and personal honour with all the teams he has played for. it spans over france, italy and spain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    You spout so much **** its unreal.
    Yes, I think we are all in agreement here. Don't know about you, but I'm fed up of debating with this guy. No doubt he will count it as some sort of victory, but what the hell is the point in continuing?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think we are all in agreement here. Don't know about you, but I'm fed up of debating with this guy. No doubt he will count it as some sort of victory, but what the hell is the point in continuing?
    I would call him a troll but i got an alert for that last time

ReputationRep:
    zizou:

UEFA Champions League Best Player of the Past 20 Years
    – 2011

La Liga Best player of the past 40 Years - 2010
    are u seeing this? 2010-2011 was when messi was at his best aswell

u wanted to debate trophies/honours..

ReputationRep:
    are u seeing this? 2010-2011 was when messi was at his best aswell

u wanted to debate trophies/honours..
    I am seeing this, but only thanks to the large, colourful font you so wisely chose.

That's your opinion, but I think you are wrong. Most people would think he was at his best yet over the year he scored 91 goals, but you most certainly are not most people.

By 2011 Messi had played 3 seasons as a regular first team starter in the Champions League, hardly enough to win that award.

By 2010 he had played 3 seasons as a regular starter in La Liga, again, hardly enough to win that award.

This is my last post in response to anything you say. I will happily discuss with other posters, but not you. You are a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I would call him a troll but i got an alert for that last time
    He is definitely a troll.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.