Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the conditions required for a body of matter to be conscious? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    It is interesting yes, but I wouldn't give it any credibility in the slightest. The hemispheres in fact do not sense the environment separately, the majority of sensory systems getting information bilaterally from the sensory organs. It's entirely incomparable to seeing the hemispheres as individuals.

Incidentally, it might seem odd, but I don't actually believe we have consciousness. I think it's an illusion (of sorts) of our brain's memory.
    Hmm, I thought that each auditory nerve goes to one hemisphere only, and I thought that objects in the left visual field registered only in the right hemisphere and v.v. Higher level auditory and visual processing is shared of course, but presumably only via the corpus callosum. I was only thinking of the visual and auditory senses initially, but touch must also be registered in one hemisphere as well, surely? Not sure about smell or taste, or the other senses beyond the traditional five. I'm still getting to grips with brain anatomy - hopefully 5 years at med school will put me straight

Anyway, I don't find your comment about consciousness at all odd. I think 'free will' is an illusion, but I have difficulty articulating why.

Edit: OK, I'm wrong about auditory... cochlear nucleus, superior olivary nucleus, inferior colliculus, medial colliculate body, auditory cortex, ... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Hmm, I thought that each auditory nerve goes to one hemisphere only, and I thought that objects in the left visual field registered only in the right hemisphere and v.v. Higher level auditory and visual processing is shared of course, but presumably only via the corpus callosum. I was only thinking of the visual and auditory senses initially, but touch must also be registered in one hemisphere as well, surely? Not sure about smell or taste, or the other senses beyond the traditional five. I'm still getting to grips with brain anatomy - hopefully 5 years at med school will put me straight

Anyway, I don't find your comment about consciousness at all odd. I think 'free will' is an illusion, but I have difficulty articulating why.

Edit: OK, I'm wrong about auditory... cochlear nucleus, superior olivary nucleus, inferior colliculus, medial colliculate body, auditory cortex, ... :eek:
    Very good indeed, but it's called medial geniculate body
    Visual information from each eye is indeed represented in both cortices. The fibres decussate in the optic chiasm.
    Smell operates bilaterally via the anterior olfactory nucleus (I think..this is from memory!)
    Taste: I don't know for sure, but it's transmitted by three separate trigeminal nerves and the trigeminal complex is normally pretty interconnected in the brainstem. It would make sense for it to be bilateral.
    The somatic sensations would seem to be the exception, but I think they aren't as important to "consciousness" as hearing and vision, which are definitely bilateral.

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that human consciousness is older than earth and its like a light travelling along the universe, and is totally separate from our body i am quite doubtful about if its eternal but can be pretty sure that it exists without brain, mind or ****what physical things. listening to those who shared about their
    near death experiences

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I get 80% right on a medical exam, I shall be well pleased. Not so sure about my patients...

Visual information from each eye is indeed represented in both cortices. The fibres decussate in the optic chiasm.
    Smell operates bilaterally via the anterior olfactory nucleus (I think..this is from memory!)
    Taste: I don't know for sure, but it's transmitted by three separate trigeminal nerves and the trigeminal complex is normally pretty interconnected in the brainstem. It would make sense for it to be bilateral.
    The somatic sensations would seem to be the exception, but I think they aren't as important to "consciousness" as hearing and vision, which are definitely bilateral.
    I'm trying to get to grips with auditory still, but thanks for the hints on the others.

ReputationRep:
    Taste is transmitted by the facial (anterior 2/3) and glosseopharyngeal (posterior 1/3), no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Taste is transmitted by the facial (anterior 2/3) and glosseopharyngeal (posterior 1/3), no?
    Yes, plus vagus from the taste receptors on other areas (epiglottis)

EDIT: Oh excuse me, I noticed there was a mistake in the post you quoted, I meant to say cranial nerves not trigeminal nerves! I had trigeminal neuralgia on the brain at the time I was having this discussion :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Metafiend)
    I read somewhere that human consciousness is older than earth and its like a light travelling along the universe, and is totally separate from our body i am quite doubtful about if its eternal but can be pretty sure that it exists without brain, mind or ****what physical things. listening to those who shared about their
    near death experiences

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My view is that human (and indeed animal more generally) consciousness is an emergent property of brain activity. No brain, no consciousness. It follows from this view that 'bubbles' of consciousness are constantly emerging and 'popping' in correspondence with births and deaths. It's not impossible that there might be 'artificial' consciousness, i.e. consciousness generated mechanically in a suitably complex computer. Though how far away our species might be from creating such a conasciousness I couldn't guess.

Of course, it's not easy for people to accept that their consciousness will come to a definite end (when they die), partly because our desire for survival is a long-evolved instinct difficult to get past and partly because we just can't conceptualise our non existence. Religions and 'spirituality' provide the emotional gaps thus created.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.